Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The abominable snowman?

Commander CMG

• Tests of 'Yeti hair' found to match an ancestor of the modern polar bear
  • Abominable Snowman '100 per cent match' with 120,000 year old jawbone

Scientists believe they have finally solved the mystery of the Abominable Snowman.

Its identity? Er … a big brown bear. DNA tests on supposed yeti hair samples have revealed a genetic match with an ancient polar bear.

Scientists believe there could be a sub-species of brown bear in the High Himalayas descended from the ancient animal.

arrow3.gifView: Read more

• Like 1

A BEAR? This could shut down you tube!

• Like 3

I'm still taking this all with a huge pinch of salt, those samples would have been highly contaminated before testing.

• Like 1

Now that's some yeti research I can support. Very ineteresting find!

Best line form this article is:

Prof Sykes added: “Bigfootologists and other enthusiasts seem to think that they've been rejected by science. Science doesn't accept or reject anything, all it does is examine the evidence and that is what I'm doing.”

• Like 4

It seems to me that this is a very exciting find. A new subspecies of the brown bear is a very cool discovery. The Yeti Brown Bear.

It very well could be a bear. When they stand upright and in the right light and weather conditions, they might look like something other than a bear. I always had in the back of my mind the thought that they could be something like an orangutang. No idea why. Certainly I've never heard of an orangutang in the US, but in Asia? Could be.

To me the Yeti has always been more of a stretch than Bigfoot. Where does it live? What does it eat? How does it hide? How does it remain unseen?

Most folks don't realize that thousands of people make tens of thousands of attempts to climb those mountains every year. There's a lot going on there.

Best line form this article is:

Prof Sykes added: “Bigfootologists and other enthusiasts seem to think that they've been rejected by science. Science doesn't accept or reject anything, all it does is examine the evidence and that is what I'm doing.”

I liked this one too...

“Chemo” - another local name for the yeti, with text alongside it which was translated to read: “The yeti is a variety of bear living in inhospitable mountainous areas.”

• Like 2

bigfoot and kin mate with everybody don't they?

Maybe instead of Harry, they should have named him Randy.

A BEAR? This could shut down you tube!

Nah, we still have plenty of "dragons, chupacabra, ghosts, UFOs, alien ETs, ..." it goes on and on.

Honestly though, if found to be a reputable study I'd like to know what the heck an ancient polar bear is doing up there... lol Vacationing from the past?

• Like 2

Bryan Sykes, professor of human genetics at Oxford University, set out to collect and test ‘yeti’ hair samples to find out which species they came from.

In particular he analysed hairs from two unknown animals, one found in the Western Himalayan region of Ladakh and the other from Bhutan, 800 miles to the east.

But we can speculate on what the possible explanation might be. It could mean there is a sub species of brown bear in the High Himalayas descended from the bear that was the ancestor of the polar bear. Or it could mean there has been more recent hybridisation between the brown bear and the descendent of the ancient polar bear.’

Professor Sykes found that he had a 100 per cent match with a sample from an ancient polar bear jawbone found in Svalbard, Norway, that dates back at least 40,000 years -

So what did he get a 100 per cent match for?

a polar bear,

a sub species of brown bear,

a bear which was the ancestor to the polar bear

or the polar bear found in Norway?

because he says they are speculating on what it is.

If it is the ancient polar bear from Norway, then whats to speculate about?

Am I missing something here or does something not quite add up?

Edited by freetoroam

"Still, let’s just imagine for a second.

If it were to turn out that some Yeti reports really have recorded an otherwise unknown variety of bear, that would be an enormous discovery—and an utterly astonishing moment in the history of monster studies. It would be a moment of triumph for cryptozoology skeptics, who have said all along that Yetis are really bears; and, simultaneously, it could be a moment of triumph for cryptozoologists, who have said for decades that Yetis are an unrecognized new type of large hairy mammal. Sure, skeptics would be more right, and the folks committed to the dream of relict Gigantopithecus would be disappointed (all but inevitable in any case) but it would nonetheless be a non-zero-sum victory for all those who have ever found themselves entranced by the mystery. Cake for everyone!" http://www.skepticbl...day/#more-24542

I like cake!

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

One more nail in the coffin of the legendary bipedal hairy primates. Call me when they produce a body. Still maybe the bear in question still lives, it was a long time before the giant panda was found by modern science, even though it was known to the locals.

This makes perfect sense. Obviously a Sasquatch type creature couldn't survive in an environment like that, but a bear type creature is perfectly believable.

This makes perfect sense. Obviously a Sasquatch type creature couldn't survive in an environment like that, but a bear type creature is perfectly believable.

All the alleged pics of sasquatch show him/her/it with a pretty big coat of hair....actually, just like a bear.

Sasquatch sightings that have appearance of a bear are probably just that, a case of mistaken identity.

So i guess o Bigfoot aka is just a bear could be true then.......

Identification can be vewy, vewy, twicky. Especially in something like this, most people have never seen a bear in the wild. Then they see something, they can't quite make.it out so the mind sort pf fills in the blanks for them. They wind up with a blobsquatch photo and they can give you a very detailed description of what they believed they saw, but the photo doesn't reflect what they describe. Are they intentionally lying? No, not really, they simply got it wrong however, the combination of fear and excitment such will pass

Any drawings of this bear available?

No, they were taken from hair samples of TWO unknown dead animals.

Obviously a Sasquatch type creature couldn't survive in an environment like that, but a bear type creature is perfectly believable.

And we know that a sasquatch type creature couldn't live in this environment do we?

How, how do we know where they could live and not live, what the eat or don't eat, without actual study of the creature. It’s a cryptid, we know nothing about it, the best we can do is assume?

• Like 3

the bears must be laughing at us:

"ok kids, remember we are not bears, we are sasquishes things, this is it, we could be famous!"

bear-attack-4.jpg

• Like 1