Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The abominable snowman?

Commander CMG

There basically seem to be 3 types of Yeti, one of which often is described as bear-like and has claws like bears and is a carnivore.

That very well may be what these hairs are from.

However there is a different type of Yeti that is often described as more homonid in nature. It is given a different name by the locals than the one that is bear-like.

So even if we do discover a relative of the Polar bear is there, that doesn't mean all Yeti are from that bear.

There basically seem to be 3 types of Yeti, one of which often is described as bear-like and has claws like bears and is a carnivore.

That very well may be what these hairs are from.

However there is a different type of Yeti that is often described as more homonid in nature. It is given a different name by the locals than the one that is bear-like.

So even if we do discover a relative of the Polar bear is there, that doesn't mean all Yeti are from that bear.

Yea that's kinda what I expected to hear when I read the story.

How fascinating, extremophiles that may be thriving in harsh conditions. I can't wait to see what else they discover.

This is actually pretty interesting. It seems that the Yeti is nothing more than a type of bear.

A bear makes way more sense than a hairy walking man ape anyways.

This is actually pretty interesting. It seems that the Yeti is nothing more than a type of bear.

A bear makes way more sense than a hairy walking man ape anyways.

Unfortunately the "interesting" bit has been declared "uninteresting" now that we know for sure its a bear.

Huh. Very interesting. I realize that hairs can survive a long time(think mummies), as they are dead cells anyway.

Not sure how they could tell how recent the hairs were. Perhaps some scientific method.

So we have an ice age bear. A bear that may or may not have ever lived in those parts of the Himalayas. That may or may not be from recent times. And if so there might be more big Yeti-bears out there. Walking around like people when people aren't around. Hiding in the snow.

The Himalayas are still filled with unexplored areas.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's a curious part of the world. I would guess that a lot has not been explored(at least not "properly", whatever that might mean)

Let's see:

Brown bear VS Yeti

Brown bears seen and filmed by people - Yeti seen and filmed by people

Brown bears in Zoos - Yeti, not in zoos

Brown bears leave bones - Yeti don't leave bones

Brown bears leave ancient hairs - Yeti leave ancient brown bear dna

This thread is closed.

:)

Edited by Realm

In point of fact I don't see where this has done anything except point out that there are bears about, which we already knew. We still don't know if Yeti is real or maybe these bears or maybe just fantasy.

• Like 1

Brown bears leave ancient hairs - Yeti leave ancient brown bear dna

Was there any brown bear DNA?

I know a lot of media has been suggesting Polar / Brown bear hybrid but I don't recall seeing anything about brown bear DNA, only ancient Polar bear DNA.

Edited by AliceWonder

Guest Nathan DiYorio

Unfortunately the "interesting" bit has been declared "uninteresting" now that we know for sure its a bear.

Erm, no. Now it's even more interesting.

This was all covered on a very interesting program last night on Channel 4 in the UK. The Yeti legend is pretty ancient throughout Nepal, Bhutan and Tibet. Each community has it's own name for it but their legends seem to suggest bear from the beginning. It seems to be Westerner's who changed the legend to a large man type creature.

One German explorer was taken to see one that had been killed by hunters. He said he saw a bear which had some reminiscent to a wolf. He took some hair samples which were tested on the program.

Edited by skookum

This was all covered on a very interesting program last night on Channel 4 in the UK. The Yeti legend is pretty ancient throughout Nepal, Bhutan and Tibet. Each community has it's own name for it but their legends seem to suggest bear from the beginning. It seems to be Westerner's who changed the legend to a large man type creature.

One German explorer was taken to see one that had been killed by hunters. He said he saw a bear which had some reminiscent to a wolf. He took some hair samples which were tested on the program.

The show skookum mentioned is uploaded here, not sure if it's region blocked but you can definitely see it if you're in the UK.

• Like 1

Cool, that solves that.

Though Sasquatches could be nothing more then a few small clans of uncontacted modern humans (aka "us") living out in the wilds, avoiding any contact.

That being said, I'll be following this story with great interest.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings. As they say, "the book is better than the movie".

The Quest for the Yeti will describe Sykes' hunt for genetic traces of species whose existence remains scientifically unconfirmed, including the Yeti, the Sasquatch and Big Foot. For the most part the samples he has tracked down for analysis have turned out to be known species such as humans, bears or apes; however two samples taken towards the end of his quest will "change our understanding of human history," he says.

Source

It does say "human history" not "bear history". Still, finding archaic polar bear dna in the Himilayans is a great find.

• Like 1

Why this is just making news now is beyond me, and why is this Brian Sykes guy is getting the credit for it. The hair from Bhutan was actually found in 2009 by Josh Gate's crew members during a taping of Destination Truth. Season 3 Episode 9. They found it and had it tested and it came back as a match for a ancient polar bear. No idea why a bigger deal wasn't made about it then, maybe it was because a 'TV show crew' found it and not a professor from Oxford lol.

Indian epic "Ramayan" composed 7000 years ago depicts life story of Prince Ram who was helped by "man-bears" in his battles, who were headed by their commander named "Jaamvant".

It would not be surprising if these hairs were simply parts of a frozen carcass. Possibly dug up by other animals or uncovered by melt. Has anyone dated these hairs? If the animal existed in frozen environments hairs might turn up. We have found mammoths and even people with dna preserved in these environments, why not an ancient bear?