Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Quick question?

White Crane Feather

After some more research, both whiskey and beer bottles have been reduced in volume, from over 800 mils to 750 mils Beer has also been considerably reduced in alcohol content.

The alcohol content of beer is the same today as yesterday as ten years ago as back in your day. Standard full-strength beer is 4.9% (some brands lower, some higher, but not a massive swing) and standard bourbon is 37.5% in a 700ml bottle. Longneck's were 750 ml bottles when many years ago (I was about 20 at the time) one of the brands upped it to 800 ml and kept the price the same - making big advertising of free extra beer. Sales for that brand went through the roof, and soon all Longnecks were 800 ml. A few years ago someone decided the 800 ml gimmick was over, and suddenly Longnecks were back to 750 ml. I don't know if bottles of spirits were downsized, though some of the classier scotches come in 750 ml bottles, but if they were, 50 ml is only 1 2/3 standard drinks (30 ml = 1 standard drink of spirits). Edited by Paranoid Android

Not exceptional but either controlled or lucky. Beer never affected my emotions or my control of self I never got any angrier or sadder or lustful etc. My personality remained the same. Yes it influenced my motor skills, and today I would probably be in gaol for drink driving but there were not any such laws enforced back then. Alcohol is involved in more than half of all types of violence and all types of accidents In some groups of people the influence of alcohol on these things is almost 80%. So obviously it does affect many causing a loss of control. It is only fairly recently that the "drunk defence" has been removed form the statutes.

I am personally and socially against the use of alcohol at all, because of its huge harms and cost. Today, I don't understand (or sympathise) with anyone's need to drink or take mind altering drugs, despite my own ignorance as a youth. Although I cannot judge people who do. But this is something that cant be legislated, but must be educated. I haven't had a drink of alcohol for over 40 years now and I know which I prefer and find normal/more beneficial (and as you say, cheaper) I don't know the cost of beer but it must be about $5 a glass And cigarettes!! When I smoked they were a cent each; now they are more than 100 times that. Smoking must cost a person a huge fortune.

Ps I didn't say that, even then, I thought it was OK to drive when you have no recollection of making a journey through a town of several kilometres.

Obviously you are very dangerous, even at two in the morning. But the law was a lot different then and so were social attitudes.

I have never met anyone yet who will admit that alcohol impairs their judgement .In fact "alcohol doesn't affect me " is very high on the list of "Famous last words" When you were driving under the influence what were you driving ,a bullock cart?

fullywired

I have never met anyone yet who will admit that alcohol impairs their judgement .In fact "alcohol doesn't affect me " is very high on the list of "Famous last words" When you were driving under the influence what were you driving ,a bullock cart?

fullywired

Alcohol impairs my judgement!

Where to from here?

I don't feel like researching it, so I was hoping someone already knows. Why do some skeptics totally doubt the existence of Jesus the man but not the existence of Siddartha. Is there a real reason based on historical facts?

No, these skeptics choose to ignore the historicity of the founder of whatever religion they despise. Sometimes people believe what they want to believe.

That said, there is a big difference in the claims these two founders made, and that probably has something to do with it. Jeshua bar Joseph allegedly claimed that he was God, and salvation only came to those who believed in him. Siddhartha Gautama claimed everyone was a Buddha if only they could see their own nature.

FYI, in 1994 a collection of Buddhists scripture was discovered in the Near East with some texts dated to 300 B.C.. These Gandhari texts have been compared with the Dead Sea scrolls for their significance. Here's a decent article that attempts to put these documents into context.

Did you own a tricked out Honda in college Frank? Don't take that as offense, I'm Maried to a somewhat Asian. :D

At the time I couldn't afford a car, or even, in fact, a bicycle. I did have some tricked-out tennis shoes (the toes were cut out).

No, these skeptics choose to ignore the historicity of the founder of whatever religion they despise. Sometimes people believe what they want to believe.

That said, there is a big difference in the claims these two founders made, and that probably has something to do with it. Jeshua bar Joseph allegedly claimed that he was God, and salvation only came to those who believed in him. Siddhartha Gautama claimed everyone was a Buddha if only they could see their own nature.

FYI, in 1994 a collection of Buddhists scripture was discovered in the Near East with some texts dated to 300 B.C.. These Gandhari texts have been compared with the Dead Sea scrolls for their significance. Here's a decent article that attempts to put these documents into context.

I don't think questioning, or at least declining to affirm, the historical existence of Jesus or Buddha and the stories we have about them, is anything other than healthy. It has little if anything to do with the existing religions.

At the time I couldn't afford a car, or even, in fact, a bicycle. I did have some tricked-out tennis shoes (the toes were cut out).

Hahaha well I had a toyota corolla my first few years of school. Unfortunately, I had to park on large hills everywhere I went so I could get enough momentum to pop the clutch and kick start the dam thing. Sometimes I would have to walk for miles to get where I wanted to go after parking.

I don't know if I'm lucky or not, but give me a couple drinks and I'm fast asleep. I don't like how I feel a couple hours later so I gave up on it entirely.

You've got a fortunate somatic make-up. Many of us who drink extensively don't have built-in 'governor' of that sort.

How did this get on to a discussion about alcohool?

fullywired

Actually i DID admit, twice, that alcohol affects my physical abilities,but no one ever saw any evidence of it affecting my judgement. I was young, stupid, and thrill seeking like most teenagers. I indulged in many very dangerous pursuits and wouldnt have thought twice about drink driving especailly as no one was likely to catch me at two in the morning. I was driving a series 2 A ex army landrover. I wasn't in much danger ( I once ran into and killed two cows out on the highway on a dark rainy night and only put a small dent in the big bull bar,) but i would have been a danger to others . Why do you suppose i haven't had a drink for forty years if i didnt know that alcohol is very dangerous and harmful. Edited by Mr Walker

A process of natural evolution.

So once again I have to ask, why do people who don't believe that Jesus ever existed and consequently don't follow his teachings because they don't believe there ever were any so keen to mock this non-existent character? Why is it so important to them? it's just completely illogical. Is it that they feel that it's their duty to mock and demean Christianity at every opportunity?

I don't think Christ is mocked so much as those who profess things in his name

Good question. The answer is clear but it is not politically correct to explore or consider.

fullywired

Amen to this, I do not drink, my dad was crushed by the steering wheel of his car. He was drunk. He too had been heard saying he was fine to drive; ten minutes later he hit a telephone pole and died on impact, he was 23. He left 2 little daughters fatherless (I was 3, my sister was 2.) his impaired decision impacted our entire lives. Hows that for famous last words? Well the reality is there is that one time, when a person can misjudge how impaired he or she is-- especially under the influence of a substance that impairs, the part of the brain that controls ones ability to make judgments. If someone wants to drink that is fine with me, I make no judgments, but I take a strong stance on drinking responsibly and for me this means never getting behind the wheel of a car.