Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Uninsured not learning about ACA exchanges

questionmark

Despite the health-care exchanges having been up now for almost three weeks, uninsured Americans aren't learning much about the new program.

A new Gallup poll shows 71 percent of uninsured people say they are not familiar with the exchanges, while 28 percent say they are familiar.

Read more

If the ACA requires the uninsured who are currently doing the ER shuffle to have to pay ANYTHING to try and stay healthier, I doubt that many will sign up. Yeah, I know I'm a cynic but look at it from their perspective - pay nothing versus paying something - why would they do it? I hope I'm wrong but that's the way it seems to me. And if that DOES happen then we get the worst of all worlds with this. Education and some form of inconvenience to those on the dole who refuse to pay even a little for their care might help.

• Like 3

You can lead a horse to water....

Face it, some folks are just too stupid or lazy to care.

But hey, I'm glad we're borrowing a trillion or so from the Chinese to make this happen.

• Like 3

If the ACA requires the uninsured who are currently doing the ER shuffle to have to pay ANYTHING to try and stay healthier, I doubt that many will sign up. Yeah, I know I'm a cynic but look at it from their perspective - pay nothing versus paying something - why would they do it? I hope I'm wrong but that's the way it seems to me. And if that DOES happen then we get the worst of all worlds with this. Education and some form of inconvenience to those on the dole who refuse to pay even a little for their care might help.

A lot of people who are uninsured, are going to keep doing, exactly what their doing....You can't FORCE people to do something...Whether it be drug laws or prohibiting alcohol. People are going to do what their gonna do...You can cry and scream about people not having insurance, but there are those who are uninsured who aren't gonna pay anything....

Now, there are your uninsured who choose to remain that way, because it's cheaper for them, Or because they choose natural or homeopathic rememdies, except for major health issues, and they would rather pay the hospitals and doctors for their service than some mega insurace corporation on Wall Street.....I just don't understand why people want to just give their money to Shylocks.....

I think our health car system needs to be overhauled....We need to do somethng about healthcare prices, because whether your uninsured or have insurance, if a surgery or treatment or office visit is affordable, that helps everyone out, regardless.... Have a major heart surgery for $1,000 and pay it off, like you do a car or house...

I think there are MANY ways we can overhaul the healthcare system, and there are a lot of good ideas out there....Just my two cents....

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 3

What happens when the fines "tax" goes unpaid... and the arrest warrants are issued? There aren't enough jails to hold everyone who will be non compliant.

• Like 2

.. another question, will people who remain uninsured postpone or go without help for conditions out of fear of being discovered as one of the "criminally uninsured " ??

one more question ... aren't these "CREDITS" given in the form of tax deductions? Which means a person still has to pay the complete selected policy premium up front . ? ( if you think about how that works, you should see it for what it is.. a public subsidy to the insurance companies•)

• Like 2

.. another question, will people who remain uninsured postpone or go without help for conditions out of fear of being discovered as one of the "criminally uninsured " ??

one more question ... aren't these "CREDITS" given in the form of tax deductions? Which means a person still has to pay the complete selected policy premium up front . ? ( if you think about how that works, you should see it for what it is.. a public subsidy to the insurance companies•)

Those credits are given in advance and are sent directly to the insurer from the IRS, for the first time as I recall.

• Like 1

Those credits are given in advance and are sent directly to the insurer from the IRS, for the first time as I recall.

Yes, and those subsidies only pay for 1/4 of your premium, it doesn't go toward your deductible. A lot of hospitals and clinics are asking people to pay their deductible and copay up front before they can see the doctor....

Link: http://mobile.bloomb...les-spread.html

The practice of upfront payment for non-emergency care has been spreading in the U.S. as deductibles rise. Now, the advent of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is likely to accelerate that trend.

Many of the plans offered through the law’s insurance exchanges have low initial premiums to attract customers, while carrying significant deductibles and other out-of-pocket cost sharing. The second-lowest tier of Obamacare plans in California, for example, carries a $2,000 annual deductible.

Hospitals say they need to charge patients prior to treatment because Americans are increasingly on the hook for more of their own medical costs. And once care is provided, it’s often difficult for hospitals to collect.

“It used to be taboo to look like you were looking for money at a time when you were supposed to be focused on patient care,” David Williams, president of Boston-based consulting firm Health Business Group, said. “It’s not taboo anymore.”

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 2

ah, well, that's better. Thank You questionmark.

. A lot of hospitals and clinics are asking people to pay their deductible and copay up front before they can see the doctor....

gee pretty much how insurance works. But I forget you don't have any.

What happens when the fines "tax" goes unpaid... and the arrest warrants are issued? There aren't enough jails to hold everyone who will be non compliant.

You really don't understand how the IRS works. If you don't pay your taxes, they make every effort to work with you. If that doesn't work they will make a levy against your wages. If that's not available they may levy any property you own. Unpaid taxes are a civil case. Not criminal. The only time anyone is arrested for taxes are very extreme cases like tax fraud and massive dollars. Certainly the 95.00 tax for not doing what you should, is not one of those.

You really don't understand how the IRS works. If you don't pay your taxes, they make every effort to work with you. If that doesn't work they will make a levy against your wages. If that's not available they may levy any property you own. Unpaid taxes are a civil case. Not criminal. The only time anyone is arrested for taxes are very extreme cases like tax fraud and massive dollars. Certainly the 95.00 tax for not doing what you should, is not one of those.

Oh, ok thanks ninja. Your right, I really really don't understand how any of it works.. but i'm learning. I never had to give it much thought before, that has been my tax guy's job. I don't have "wages" anymore, Self employed. (sometimes) So.. i guess my puny bank accounts and house and land are at jeopardy. great.

So, your saying the most a person can be fined for non compliance is $95.00 ???

{{{ welcome back Kowalski .. i like that name :) }}}

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

gee pretty much how insurance works. But I forget you don't have any.

I used to work in medical billing, so I know exactly how health insurance works...And when I did have insurance, when I saw the doctor, all I had to pay was the copay, no deductible up front....

You guys can take all these digs at me, mock me, and look down your nose, at me and my family all you want, but at least I'm not throwing money away to banksters and Shylocks who already have millions of dollars....

Oh, ok thanks ninja. Your right, I really really don't understand how any of it works.. but i'm learning. I never had to give it much thought before, that has been my tax guy's job. I don't have "wages" anymore, Self employed. So.. i guess my puny bank accounts and house and land are at jeopardy. great.

Me and my family are in the same boat as well.....

• Like 2

I used to work in medical billing, so I know exactly how health insurance works...And when I did have insurance, when I saw the doctor, all I had to pay was the copay, no deductible up front....

did you go to the hospital like you allege in your post? What you're engaged in is fear mongering.

did you go to the hospital like you allege in your post? What you're engaged in is fear mongering.

I Am not engaged in fear mongering, but in spreading truth among mainstream media lies.....If this same Affordable Healthcare Act had happened under a Republican President, you would be mad about it, but because it's the Democrats and Obama, the Savior, you can't say anything bad about it....The difference between me and you, is I don't care what party passed this law, it's a bad law, that only benefits the insurance companies. But, you and many others can't see that, because of partisn rhetoric...

Obamacare is. A reincarnation of Hillarycare and it got booted in 1993.....

There is a Judicial Watch Freedom of information act, that is a memo from Sen. Jay Rockefeller to Hillary Clinton, about this...Everyone should look it up and read it....

• Like 3

I Am not engaged in fear mongering, but in spreading truth among mainstream media lies.....If this same Affordable Healthcare Act had happened under a Republican President, you would be mad about it, but because it's the Democrats and Obama, the Savior, you can't say anything bad about it....The difference between me and you, is I don't care what party passed this law, it's a bad law,

No I would not be mad about it. It has nothing to do with partisanship. It is a good law. And you have yet to prove otherwise.

No I would not be mad about it. It has nothing to do with partisanship. It is a good law. And you have yet to prove otherwise.

I dispute that it is a good law,but it is a law that was needed since the 30s... so we might take the mediocre one we got.

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with them because I have no intention of ever signing up so... I don't want to lose those precious brain cells trying to comprehend how my government is screwing me some more.

• Like 2

I keep saying this. They will have to make the entire country a debtors prison.

Only Rhode Island will be for people who pay the Fines.

:w00t:

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 1

Dude you know full well that no "proof" will ever be enough for those who are sold out lefties. BUT when it collapses and all that's left is single payer they will trumpet IT as well. Bottom line is that a needed reform has finally happened but it has happened in a way that will ruin the standard of healthcare in this country. The uninsured poor will get something they already had - healthcare - but the rest will pay more and GET LESS because life isn't fair. No matter how much leftists try to salve their consciences with OPM...it never will be.
  • Like 2

Dude you know full well that no "proof" will ever be enough for those who are sold out lefties.

yes I know full well that there are parts of the south that want to secede.

BUT when it collapses and all that's left is single payer

Medicare already exists.

but it has happened in a way that will ruin the standard of healthcare in this country.

proof? what does uninsured now having the chance to but insurance have to do with the general state of healthcare? In fact, the ACA has slowed the cost of healthcare already.

The uninsured poor will get something they already had - healthcare

as has been REPEATEDLY told to you, going to the ER is NOT healthcare.

- but the rest will pay more and GET LESS because life isn't fair.

that remains to be seen. But yes our society has a vested interest in the health of it's citizens.

yes I know full well that there are parts of the south that want to secede.

Medicare already exists.

proof? what does uninsured now having the chance to but insurance have to do with the general state of healthcare? In fact, the ACA has slowed the cost of healthcare already.

as has been REPEATEDLY told to you, going to the ER is NOT healthcare.

that remains to be seen. But yes our society has a vested interest in the health of it's citizens.

They will have a lesser standard of care for reasons purely mathematical Dude. Add 30 or so million new folks to the roles and demand that all of them and all the rest of insured people be seen regardless of pre existing conditions and what you get is a system that is indeed "fair" but is so overloaded that there are not enough practitioners to do the work. I worked in the field 15 years and i know what I'm talking about. If this stands then within a decade there will be 2 very UNFAIR and unequal tiers of healthcare in America. Those who have the cash to pay for service will receive the best care available. Everyone else will wait in line for what resources remain. If you can't see that then you are being intentionally obtuse.
  • Like 1

Oh, ok thanks ninja. Your right, I really really don't understand how any of it works.. but i'm learning. I never had to give it much thought before, that has been my tax guy's job. I don't have "wages" anymore, Self employed. (sometimes) So.. i guess my puny bank accounts and house and land are at jeopardy. great.

So, your saying the most a person can be fined for non compliance is $95.00 ???

{{{ welcome back Kowalski .. i like that name :) }}}

Don't listen to ninja about this. He's wrong or misleading but wrong either way. Your property cannot be levied and as a self employed individual you can choose to play the fine. Those under standard employment that receive a paycheck will have the fine stolen directly from their tax returns. On the other hand, if you pay too much in quarterly estimates the fine will be taken from that as opposed to credited towards next years dues. I have a thread for you, hang tight...

Do you have to pay the obamacare fine?

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=252534&hl=

As for how it affects your credit, see post 55 in that thread. As you'll see, ninjas already been schooled in this subject but he continues to make his rounds of misinformation. And, as far as I know, $95 is the least one can be fined and only for the first year as the fines increase for the first couple years before the real pain sets in. Oddly enough, the fines won't apex until after the 2016 election year.

Edit: Make sure you see posts 71 & 72. I just got a good laugh looking back considering this conversation.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 2

Found this in the law... Goes from $95 to $750 after 2016

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-111publ148/html/PLAW-111publ148.htm

Amount of Penalty.--

``(1) In general.--The penalty determined under this

subsection for any month with respect to any individual is an

amount equal to \1/12\ of the applicable dollar amount for the

calendar year.

``(2) Dollar limitation.--The amount of the penalty imposed

by this section on any taxpayer for any taxable year with

respect to all individuals for whom the taxpayer is liable under

subsection {b}(3) shall not exceed an amount equal to 300

percent the applicable dollar amount (determined without

[[Page 124 STAT. 245]]

regard to paragraph (3)©) for the calendar year with or within

which the taxable year ends.

``(3) Applicable dollar amount.--For purposes of paragraph

(1)--

``(A) In general.--Except as provided in

subparagraphs {B} and ©, the applicable dollar amount

is $750.

``{B} Phase in.--The applicable dollar amount is $95

for 2014 and $350 for 2015.

``© Special rule for individuals under age 18.--If

an applicable individual has not attained the age of 18

as of the beginning of a month, the applicable dollar

amount with respect to such individual for the month

shall be equal to one-half of the applicable dollar

amount for the calendar year in which the month occurs.

``(D) Indexing of amount.--In the case of any

calendar year beginning after 2016, the applicable

dollar amount shall be equal to $750

• Like 3

They will have a lesser standard of care for reasons purely mathematical Dude.

nature abhors a vacuum. The medical schools are churning them out in record numbers. immigrants with medical degrees are coming in record numbers. What you are doing is fear mongering. IF after some years, there really is a shortage (something that will NOT happen IMO), then you'd have something to say. Otherwise this is hot air.