Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Managing the Deluge of 'Big Data' From Space

Waspie_Dwarf

Managing the Deluge of 'Big Data' From Space

For NASA and its dozens of missions, data pour in every day like rushing rivers. Spacecraft monitor everything from our home planet to faraway galaxies, beaming back images and information to Earth. All those digital records need to be stored, indexed and processed so that spacecraft engineers, scientists and people across the globe can use the data to understand Earth and the universe beyond.

At NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., mission planners and software engineers are coming up with new strategies for managing the ever-increasing flow of such large and complex data streams, referred to in the information technology community as "big data."

How big is big data? For NASA missions, hundreds of terabytes are gathered every hour. Just one terabyte is equivalent to the information printed on 50,000 trees worth of paper.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• bmk1245

• Rafterman

• keninsc

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Data is the thing now. If you've got kids or know anyone trying to figure out what they want to do with their lives, Big Data is where it's at. And it's only going to get bigger.

The university where I work just went Petascale with its supercomputing abilities.

[...]

The university where I work just went Petascale with its supercomputing abilities.

Heh... I'm still working with the first generation of 486s (8MB RAM, and 40MB HDD (taken from the older PC)) hooked to good ol' CAMAC...

But, when it comes to a bit more computing demanding work (simulations), 64GB (and fast) RAM looks pretty tiny from what I could wished for (:

Do like a co-worker of mine did one time, back everything up then have an unfortunate coffee spill. Got him a brand new state of the art computer upgrade and made his work life a lot better.

Far be if for me to try to predict the future appearance of the labor force, but I don't know that I would recommend a career for anyone under genius level in IS. The computers are reaching the point they don't need support staff and ordinary untrained folk can use them.