Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

3D printable guns: predictions?

spartan max2

So everyone knows with the New 3D printers that guns are easily printed. Right now the guns are not the most effective, they blow up a lot. But im sure they will get more advanced as time goes on.

This thread is just about predictions of how it will effect society?

How would you regulate something like that? Is it possible?

I just want to add that the point of this thread isn't a debate about gun rights/gun control. I just want to see what peoples predictions are for how these 3D printed guns will advance, be regulated if possible. And so on.

995886_562959947114979_550058918_n.jpg

• Like 1

Not much,anybody who wants to can build his own gun with less than $1000 worth of tools in his garage, barrel and all.

My prediction is that the number of accidents will increase if this gets to be a generalized hobby.

Edited by questionmark
  • Like 1

It looks similar to one of these:

33458.jpg

is there a connection with the manufacturers?

• Like 2

So everyone knows with the New 3D printers that guns are easily printed. Right now the guns are not the most effective, they blow up a lot. But im sure they will get more advanced as time goes on.

This thread is just about predictions of how it will effect society?

How would you regulate something like that? Is it possible?

I just want to add that the point of this thread isn't a debate about gun rights/gun control. I just want to see what peoples predictions are for how these 3D printed guns will advance, be regulated if possible. And so on.

The govt is going to control it I have to believe. Special laws could make 3D printed (additive manufacturing) guns more tightly controlled than real firearms that are made with traditional subtractive processes.

I think one unfortunate side effect of the technology is that these guns are going to get into the hands of people who shouldn't have them and it's going to create further "need" for gun control.

That's the unstoppable trend over the long term, it seems, to gradually get more and more controlling, and until when?

Until Marx and Lenin were right?

Edited by Yamato
  • Like 3

I wouldn't want to own a gun made with this technology, until it's been tested rigorously, standardized, regulated, etc. It's a ticking time bomb, imho.

I expect that they will make it onto airplanes one day, and from there, it's anybody's guess.

The Superbowl at half-time would be a possible target, but I expect this has already been addressed, from a protection standpoint. AT least I would hope so.

I think dogs could be taught to detect the type of plastic they're using, which I suspect is unique due to its hardness, at least for now, but it would take a lot of dogs sniffing around to catch the bad guys.

It will be a sad day when and if this ever happens.

One of three hijacked planes might get through, and the Superbowl stadium in flames .... not a pretty sight.

Edited by Raptor Witness

Anyone got the link to the blueprints for the 3D gun? Isn't downloading the plans an online theft of intellectual property? Even without the patent, which I assume doesn't exist?

With the geopolitics we're living with in the world today, the last thing we need is a better kind of gun. Still, I'd love to see the 4th or 5th Mk in the evolution of this type of weapon.

Anyone got the link to the blueprints for the 3D gun? Isn't downloading the plans an online theft of intellectual property? Even without the patent, which I assume doesn't exist?

With the geopolitics we're living with in the world today, the last thing we need is a better kind of gun. Still, I'd love to see the 4th or 5th Mk in the evolution of this type of weapon.

I don't have any blueprints personally. The first guy put it up just to show that it could be done and tons of people downloaded it. But then the government took it down but im sure its floating around places. Im pretty sure there wasent a patent.

But yeah after acouple evolutions im sure the 3D guns could get pretty effective.

Heres a link about it http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/11/offshore-3d-printed-gun-blueprint-protector-kim-dotcom-reportedly-deleting-files/

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1