Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Tyranny Of The Minority

ninjadude

So who are the 144 members of the House of Representatives, all Republican, who voted earlier this week to continue the federal government shut down and cause the United States of America to default on its obligations? And who elected them to office?\

• The 144 no-voting congressmen were elected (in 2012) by just under 25.5 million U.S. voters.

• Those who elected this the 144 naysayers equal approximately 11.1% of all eligible voters in the U.S. and about 18.5% of all those who actually voted in the last congressional election.

• The 144 represent lopsided districts (heavily Republican) and were elected by an average of 63.4% of those voting in their constituencies. A handful of them ran unopposed in their last election, or nearly so.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tryranny-of-the-minority-2013-10
  • Like 2

Given the number of voters who actually voted in America, the Democrats were probably elected by a similarly tyrannic minority.

What's your point?

• Like 5

Given the number of voters who actually voted in America, the Democrats were probably elected by a similarly tyrannic minority.

What's your point?

Cmon Sir, stop that, you know common sense isn't allowed here on the UM.

• Like 5

Moving back towards conservatism seems like the natural course for the future shape of our government. It would be nice to see the democrats do this so we can have two conservative choices instead of two liberal ones.

• Like 2

The Tyranny Of The Minority

A minority of the government doing something you don't like is "tyranny"? Spending less money is tyranny? Putting constraints on the size and growth of government is tyranny?

You make it sound as if our Constitutional republic is unacceptable to you.

• Like 4

Cmon Sir, stop that, you know common sense isn't allowed here on the UM.

Silly me, I forgot where I was.

• Like 1

Last time I remember the Democrats were all crazy.

Same goes with Republicans.

But at least Republicans, as confused as they are, believe in the founding documents.

Most Democrats view them as limits to their potential power. Obstacles to be overcome.

• Like 2

Last time I remember the Democrats were all crazy.

Same goes with Republicans.

But at least Republicans, as confused as they are, believe in the founding documents.

Most Democrats view them as limits to their potential power. Obstacles to be overcome.

No, there is no partisan difference. They're both complicit, they're both guilty. They're both equally concerned about their own power. They're both interested in ignoring the rule of law to make their own poisonous rules. Democrats run to the Constitution to control Republicans. Republicans run to the Constitution to control Democrats. Whoop dee woodie woo. If you're young or naive or new to politics you might still believe that there's some kind of inherent difference in the parties, and that is the essence of partisanship.

• Like 2

No, there is no partisan difference. They're both complicit, they're both guilty. They're both equally concerned about their own power. They're both interested in ignoring the rule of law to make their own poisonous rules. Democrats run to the Constitution to control Republicans. Republicans run to the Constitution to control Democrats. Whoop dee woodie woo. If you're young or naive or new to politics you might still believe that there's some kind of inherent difference in the parties, and that is the essence of partisanship.

I can agree that they are both two wings on the same bird. Perhaps then it is the image Republicans employ - to seem like Constitution abiding citizens. It was Bush who referred to the Constitution as "damn piece of paper" - so perhaps it is entirely dependent upon the individual? I'm not interested in partisanship, following Washington's sound advice about political parties. I'm an Independent with beliefs closer to Classical Liberalism. I see both ignoring rule of law - so I can agree with your testament. Especially since the position of Attorney General has been soiled by Eric Holder with a stench that will perhaps never be able to be washed off. The pinnacle of justice that once was our government has been desecrated and betrayed by those who take their oaths in vain. Once upon a time our public servants took their oaths very seriously - perhaps fearing the potential backlash from the armed public whom they knew would take their position as a check and balance to over-zealous, tyrannical government. Now that the balance of power has shifted to the government, they are now complicit and satisfied with incrementally taking away our rights so that there is no resistance to a monopoly on violence. Perhaps it is all theatrical? At this point in my life I would not be surprised. I'm already fairly skeptical when it comes to most things - especially government. "It is a dangerous servant, and a fearful master."

• Like 2