Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Antibiotics in cows is bad for humans

questionmark

The farm and pharmaceutical lobbies have blocked all meaningful efforts to reduce the use of antibiotics in raising livestock in American, a practice that poses major public health risks, a study released Tuesday found.

The report says Congress has killed every effort to legislate a ban on feeding farm animals antibiotics that are important in human medicine. Not only that, but regulation of livestock feeding practices has grown weaker under the Obama administration, the study says.

“Our worst fears were confirmed,’’ said Bob Martin, executive director of the Johns Hopkins Center for a Livable Future, which issued the report.

Read more

And that is also why Grade A Beef from the USA has no chance on the international markets while Grade C Argentinian beef sells like crazy.

• Like 3

I think scientist have been saying this for a while, but money is power. Not just beef but poultry and pork, too. The problem is factory farming. The animals are kept in unhealthy conditions and fed unhealthy food. The only way to keep them alive long enough to be food is feed them antibiotics.

• Like 3

I think scientist have been saying this for a while, but money is power. Not just beef but poultry and pork, too. The problem is factory farming. The animals are kept in unhealthy conditions and fed unhealthy food. The only way to keep them alive long enough to be food is feed them antibiotics.

It seems to work almost everywhere else... so are American farmer dumber than their international counterparts?

The study comes five years after a troubling report on the way livestock is produced, written by a Pew Charitable Trusts commission of top scientists and ethicists working through the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. That landmark study warned that industrial farms that are feeding animals antibiotics for breakfast, lunch and dinner are plumping them up at a terrible cost, making antibiotics ever-less effective in treating human disease as microbes grew more resistant.

I've been saying this for years....

Why do think I don't buy meat from the grocery store? Also, having grown up around cows my whole life, there is nothing wrong with giving a cow who has an infection, antibiotics, rather than having it spread to the other cows....But like with humans, you can't overuse them, as is obviously being done....

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 3

Antibiotics have revolutionised modern medicine and saved millions of lives. But most antibiotics are not used to save life. In human medicine we use them too often for minor ailments. And nearly 50% of all antibiotics are used in farming, primarily in intensive livestock production to compensate for crowded and unnatural conditions on factory farms.

Most pigs, poultry and dairy cows receive antibiotics routinely, whether or not they are unwell, with some European pigs spending an average of 20% of their lives on antibiotics. Over the last decade entirely new E.coli and MRSA superbugs have become major problems on European farms due to the overuse of antibiotics. The world's public health experts are agreed that resistant bacteria are created in food animals by antibiotic use and that these resistant bacteria are being transmitted to people. This then makes it more difficult for doctors to treat affected patients, with potentially fatal delays in identifying an effective antibiotic when needed. The situation is so acute that the Director-General of the World Health Organisation, Dr Margaret Chan, warned in 2011 of a "post-antibiotic era, in which many common infections will no longer have a cure and, once again, kill unabated.'

http://www.soilassociation.org/antibiotics

As the human population increases and the demands rises, this will carry on, and it would be silly to trust them when they say they have stopped using them.

Like the supermarkets here who eventually decided to admit that they were selling halal meat to us or even horse meat, the farmers will do whatever to keep up with demands, and if it means antibiotics in your meat will kill you due to fatal delays....then so be it!

• Like 3

Another good link:

Link: http://www.ucsusa.or...or-trouble.html

Preserving the effectiveness of antibiotics and other antimicrobials will require changes in all major areas of use: human medicine, veterinary medicine, and agriculture. But agricultural uses deserve special attention, since they account for 70 percent of the antibiotics and related drugs used in the United States, and since they provide resistant bacteria with a direct route into people's kitchens.

http://www.ucsusa.or...or-trouble.html

We have had a battle about this in England for a while now.

Do you remember the horse meat threads, this is the reason we were so against the meat, not because it was horse (some of us would eat horse), but because of the antibiotics which had been given to them in the farms they had come from.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

antibiotics are in water supply in usa, all those millions of pills ppl throw away that end up in landfields, it gets into ground waters, and seeps into water supply, along with other meds. wheather you eat meat or not, it is in your water. and boiling wont remove it. new filtes do remove some, old fliters that we used for decades, don't remove it.

• Like 1

We have had a battle about this in England for a while now.

Do you remember the horse meat threads, this is the reason we were so against the meat, not because it was horse (some of us would eat horse), but because of the antibiotics which had been given to them in the farms they had come from.

I remember reading about that. I thought everyone was mad about the horse meat not the antibiotics....Huh....Good to know! :tu:

• Like 1

antibiotics are in water supply in usa, all those millions of pills ppl throw away that end up in landfields, it gets into ground waters, and seeps into water supply, along with other meds. wheather you eat meat or not, it is in your water. and boiling wont remove it. new filtes do remove some, old fliters that we used for decades, don't remove it.

That's why I have a top of the line water filter..... :)

• Like 1

And that is also why Grade A Beef from the USA has no chance on the international markets while Grade C Argentinian beef sells like crazy.

This is also another great example of the FDA protecting the consumer isn't it?

lol

• Like 3

This is also another great example of the FDA protecting the consumer isn't it?

lol

I agree. :tu:

They also say that pink slime stuff they serve in cafeterias and McDonald's is safe also....

• Like 1

If everyone would stop buying these peoples ****.

But alas apathy always wins

• Like 2

How do we go about stopping this? I'm afraid I don't have the voice or the money that the Beef Lobbyists do.

social networking.... speed of communication has never been as fast as today... never stop spreading info ... if the GOV isn't going to warn you (failure of the FDA) then you can warn others when you find out.... there is power in each individual on earth... just do it!
  • Like 4