Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Exoplanet tally soars above 1,000

Waspie_Dwarf

Exoplanet tally soars above 1,000

The number of observed exoplanets around distant stars has passed 1,000.

Of these, 12 could be worlds in the stars' habitable "goldilocks" zone with an atmosphere that could harbour life.

In these zones it must be the right temperature for liquid water to be present on the surface of the planet.

The planets are given away by minute dips in light as they pass in front of their stars or by observing gravitational tugs from an orbiting planet.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Bah, I am lost.. I have no idea exactly what an exoplanet is.. (time to go to google).. though if anyone here knows how to 'dummy it down' and explain it to me, it would be apreciated!

Bah, I am lost.. I have no idea exactly what an exoplanet is.. (time to go to google).. though if anyone here knows how to 'dummy it down' and explain it to me, it would be apreciated!

An extra solar planet. One that is not in our star system.

This is pretty amazing. I remember when there were NO exoplanets. Now there are over 1000. One thousand!!!

That's ten one hundreds!!!

• Like 1

This is one of the reasons why I get furious that NASA is losing funding, or getting assigned BS assignments like "Moslem relations."

We SHOULD be on the moon. We SHOULD be working on Mars.....

rabble rabble rabble rabble.....

The universe awaits exploration, and yet who are the only people focusing on the great frontier? private companies trying to convince rich idiots to sit in a maxi sized firework and be fired into the out atmosphere for four minutes for hundreds of thousands of pounds / dollars / euros.....typical of human nature im afraid....if they found oil out there however....jesus we would be there in a few years......

Vigilanis, I get that you are anti the idea of private, commercial spaceflight and of course you are entitled to your opinion and to express it, but please could you keep it on topic.

Your other post attacking the idea was perfectly acceptable as it was in a relevant topic, this thread, however, is about the discovery of exoplanets and has nothing to do with commercial sub-orbital spaceflights.

Thank you.