Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Routing and aging

markdohle

As I age, I seem to settle into a routine of prayer that I did not have when younger. I still read, though less, and I tend to read the same books over again. Some are like good friends, some fiction, some deal with the inner life, others with the questions about the existence of God. I suppose this is common to most people as they age and their energy is used to go deeper on their inward journey to become simpler in how they approach their spiritual life.

My prayer life is very simple. I tend to be one of those people who need to be grounded when I pray. So as I age, I find myself using my prayer rope to pray as a way to accomplish this. I say it slow, that way I can sit for longer periods of time, or take a nice slow walk and keep focused. Many don’t need such things, but I find the feel of the knots slowly sliding through my fingers very calming for the body as well as the mind. Also my prayers seem to be moving towards a more universal approach. After all, the Our Father as well as the Hail Mary are both universal in their focus. For those who say the Chaplet of Mercy, the same can be said for that as well. Prayer I believe should slowly brings us to an awareness of our union with all, and as Christians we have a particular way to express that in the love that hopefully grows for all. Though the human heart is a vessel that can harbor many conflicting emotions that I believe prayer, in whatever form it is said, will slowly sort things out. What is needed is perseverance and trust in the Lord’s presence in our lives. The fruit of grace, is a growth in love for others and a moving away from seeking to control or dominate those around us.

No matter the form of prayer, it will lead to an inner quiet and simple awareness of God’s presence in our lives and a slow healing for split between the head and the heart that is felt by many (by me for sure), bringing them slowly together. It is this struggle that brings us to a place of compassion and yes empathy for all. The more we seek to love, the more aware we become of our need for inner healing and grace, both from God as well as others. For in the end, we are called I believe to become healers.

• Like 2

intense great post mark

• Like 1

As I age, I seem to settle into a routine of prayer that I did not have when younger.

I feel much the same way.

But... I did have a prayer routine as a child -- only it was communal and involuntary then (which is fine) and now it is solitary and voluntary.

• Like 1

I feel much the same way.

But... I did have a prayer routine as a child -- only it was communal and involuntary then (which is fine) and now it is solitary and voluntary.

Yes thank you very much.

Peace

mark