Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Parent accuses Texas school football coach

BiffSplitkins

Is it considered bullying if a high school football coach runs up the score?

One parent in Texas thinks so.

The father of a player on the Western Hills High School football team in Benbrook, Texas claims Aledo High School football coach Tim Buchanan encouraged his players to bully their opponents by running up the score

The final score of the game was 91-0.

In the complaint, the unnamed parent claims “everyone in the football stadium” was a witness to Buchanan and his staff’s “unsportsmanlike conduct.”

"We all witnessed bullying firsthand, it is not a pretty sight," the complaint reads according to MyFoxDFW.com. “I did not know what to say on the ride home to explain the behavior of the Aledo coaches for not easing up when the game was in hand.”

READ MORE

Oh man, give me a break. The coach can't help it if the other team played like dog doo. He even put in his 3rd string players.

• Like 3

When I was a Freshman in high school, our football team went 1-10 that year... We won the first game by a score of 21 to 20 and only scored 21 points ALL season long.. (we sucked really badly)...

We lost three games in a row 70-0, 77-0 and (our homecoming game) 80-0... We never once thought the other teams were running it up on us... It was up to us to stop them from scoring - and

obviously we couldn't... The heat was on US, not the other teams - and that is the way it should be... People should not be punished for success...

Now, if the winning team was up by a huge amount and there was only a few seconds left and they were still actively trying to score by throwing the ball and calling trick plays - that is a sportsmanship

problem, not a 'bullying' problem...

• Like 3

91 - 0??

did the other team get off the coach?

The heat was on US, not the other teams - and that is the way it should be... People should not be punished for success...

Well said.

This new attitude in youth sports disturbs me. Everyone gets a trophy, there are no losers, etc...That's fine for small children, under the age of say ten, but after that kids need to learn how to win and lose gracefully. They are in for a rude awakening when they get out in the real world and aren't rewarded for being mediocre.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 5

This is bullying?

I won't even touch what we did to freshmen players...

I hate this new, incoming "every kid is a special winner in his own way", mentality. No. bull****. Your team is horrible, you suck, train, get better. Realize that maybe the general area of your school is contaminated with deficient genes when it comes to football because your parents suck at the sport too.

BOSH.

• Like 3

This new attitude in youth sports disturbs me. Everyone gets a trophy, there are no losers, etc...That's fine for small children, under the age of say ten, but after that kids need to learn how to win and lose gracefully. They are in for a rude awakening when the get out in the real world and aren't rewarded for being mediocre.

When I was little we actually had to try out to be on any little league team. We were picked by the coaches the same way we were picked for the dodgeball team in gym class. If you were terrible, you were picked last. I was a decent player but was usually picked toward the end because I was so small. I was a short scrawny kid with boney arms and legs.

Needless to say, I ended up on the worst team in the entire baseball little league. We never won a single game. Our coach felt so bad for us that he took us out for pizza because we 'only lost by 3 runs' one time. Pathetic yes, but we really didn't care. We had fun while we were playing and I think we all realized that baseball just wasn't for us but we still had fun playing.

Today, parents step in because they try to live vicariously through their own children. When their children fail at something, the parent feels like they are the ones failing and instead of throwing a tantrum like a child they attempt to make what they think is the proper adult reaction to their own child's failure. They blame someone else, which essentially is the same thing as throwing a child's tantrum. Those parents feel that children should never feel failure. Those parents are the same children that used to 'make up the rules' as they went along to the games we played in their back yard as kids.

People fail all the time, it's a part of life, It's okay to fail some of the time.

• Like 4

lookthe team sucked.They need to practice more. Steele Highschool here won their divison and are state champs.The other teams that played them aren't crying and moaning because they got beat.I think it's the parents that are whining because the team lost,not their kid.Some of these parents take things too far.

• Like 2

Ok, I am so not into sports of any kind, so bear with me please. I always thought sports was a do your best sort of thing, some people are good at it some aren't. I understand good vs poor sportsmanship.

But I have recently become aware of this sort of mercy rule in sports.. and I kind of don't get it. Isn't that a little counter-productive? And is this just a football thing? The couple times this phenomena has come to my attention lately it's been football related. Is there a similar rule in other team sports? Is it only team sports?

Ok, I am so not into sports of any kind, so bear with me please. I always thought sports was a do your best sort of thing, some people are good at it some aren't. I understand good vs poor sportsmanship.

But I have recently become aware of this sort of mercy rule in sports.. and I kind of don't get it. Isn't that a little counter-productive? And is this just a football thing? The couple times this phenomena has come to my attention lately it's been football related. Is there a similar rule in other team sports? Is it only team sports?

Interesting question. I've heard of it with football, basketball and baseball...all team sports. They seem to have the whiniest parents. But will this eventually bleed over into other sports like a handicap in golf? I'm surprised they still allow spelling bees in case someone gets their little feelings hurt if they lose.

Every kids game has loads of fanatical parents screaming advice,and the ref is always wrong.He is lucky if he's not beaten up by irate parents of the losing side.Teach the parents to lose gracefully and the kids will realise that you can't win every game.

frankly.... the parents need to pull their children from all these sports... because the parent can't deal with reality .

let the kids play in underground foot ball legues where the adults do not know whats going on ...

let the kids learn how to deal with bullys... that is to fly under the radar of the govermental bullys...

When I was little we actually had to try out to be on any little league team. We were picked by the coaches the same way we were picked for the dodgeball team in gym class. If you were terrible, you were picked last. I was a decent player but was usually picked toward the end because I was so small. I was a short scrawny kid with boney arms and legs.

Needless to say, I ended up on the worst team in the entire baseball little league. We never won a single game. Our coach felt so bad for us that he took us out for pizza because we 'only lost by 3 runs' one time. Pathetic yes, but we really didn't care. We had fun while we were playing and I think we all realized that baseball just wasn't for us but we still had fun playing.

Today, parents step in because they try to live vicariously through their own children. When their children fail at something, the parent feels like they are the ones failing and instead of throwing a tantrum like a child they attempt to make what they think is the proper adult reaction to their own child's failure. They blame someone else, which essentially is the same thing as throwing a child's tantrum. Those parents feel that children should never feel failure. Those parents are the same children that used to 'make up the rules' as they went along to the games we played in their back yard as kids.

People fail all the time, it's a part of life, It's okay to fail some of the time.

SPOT ON and +1 !
  • Like 1

frankly.... the parents need to pull their children from all these sports... because the parent can't deal with reality .

Nah, just don't let the parents attend the games.