Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Women with PMS classed mentally ill..

seeder

Oh boy, Ive had a partner who had bad pms.. now see what the Daily Fail are saying...

Women with extreme PMS will now be deemed 'mentally ill' following controversial revision of health manual

Women who suffer from consistently severe mood swings during their menstrual periods are now being diagnosed with mental illness.

Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), sometimes referred to as 'PMS on steroids', is formally recognized in the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

But the decision to categorize this condition as full-fledged disorder has divided opinion, with critics stating that it only contributes to stereotypes about women being emotionally unstable once a month

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2470796/PMDD-Women-extreme-PMS-deemed-mentally-ill-DSM-5.html

• Like 1

I was so afraid of my ex when she suffered, and being a man I never could quite figure out exactly when she would be cranky... so I bought her a Mood Ring, the ones that change colour depending on how youre feeling. Green for peaceful, blue for interested/thoughtful, and orange when she was getting stressed... and then a big red mark on my forhead when I upset her...

Sorry! :lol:

• Like 6

Ohh hello again 1800s we'd not been missing you, but it seems ******* everyone in a position of authority on this planet wants to see if we can do it again.

• Like 5

http://www.dailymail...lationship.html

http://www.harrysnew...KillTooMuch.htm

I do not belive the problem would be an increase in prescription drug abuse, if a women is suffering from it severly, then the drugs are the answer.

But I feel this is down to a more legal aspect rather than a concern on categorising it for medical reasons. The doctors already know about it and the effects it has and can have if not treated, it is the courts which have a problem with it. There have been numerous cases with completely different outcomes because it has not been categorised.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

A lot of this coming down the pike. Any excuse to label people as nuts, to what end....

Yeh

• Like 2

I think maybe it is an encouragement for drug pre$criptions. An Illness must be treated?

• Like 2

I think what may be irritating about it is they could have classified it as something more physical, since it is hello --as physical as one can get to bleed for 7 days and have the body prepare for that event in the week before which is what PMS/D is--- it is a physical body cycle not a mental one. Arguably the emotional mood disorder part of it is what they are trying to classify but we don't call diabetes a mental illness just because it can affect moods / state of mind.

I think classifying it as a purely mental illness is wrong and going backwards and feels oppressive to a lot of women when the physical issues such a bloating, headaches, weight gain, breast pain, body pain, IBS, temperature fluxes are all part of the PMS as well. So who ever is saying it is not physical but mental must be a man or a woman who only has very light cycles all her life. The moods alone do not define PMS and shouldn't-- the problem is some women will only get some of the symptoms some of the time, and others will get it very severely like clock work. So there are different percentages of women to acknowledge first of all. The ones who have no issues at all or who are expert at hiding it don't really count, because sadly this is the standard that everyone expects and the reason why no one takes it seriously or like now, tries to classify it as a mental illness.

The reality of it has always been long suppressed is what i am trying to say for varying reasons, and our society should be educating children, both genders of the reality of it from a young age, including the emotional aspects so that girls and boys mature understanding the power of their of bodies, not the so that it is not seen as some sort of weakness or excuse for feeling unwell once a month. But i do agree very much so that it does and should be classified as something medically recognised for legal and job reasons.

• Like 5

As a young boy my grandad once told me between sips of moonshine

"boy, ain't nuthin' wrong w/ a woman the back of your hand can't fix."

......Did I mention my grandad was a sh*tty human being who was unmourned upon his death?

I didin't? Well....thats how it went

• Like 1

As a young boy my grandad once told me between sips of moonshine

"boy, ain't nuthin' wrong w/ a woman the back of your hand can't fix."

......Did I mention my grandad was a sh*tty human being who was unmourned upon his death?

I didin't? Well....thats how it went

Any man who used the back of his hand on me, would meet the front of my foot....

• Like 4

Which was the reason gramps started wearing an athletic cup and shin guards early in life.

...also he was afraid the leprechauns were going to steal his lower body but thats another story for another time

• Like 3

Yeah, the new DSM seems to go a tad overboard. In fact, I've heard that there are some professional, board-certified psychiatrists that take issue with this new edition.

It has a lot of issues. Not sure what the attempt was in this update, but if it was to make psychologists/psychiatrists look like jagoffs, they've succeeded well

This is outrageous. To classify as mental illness the physical changes a woman goes through every month?? Well, wait a minute. If this illness is covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act, then maybe I can retire on disability...

This is outrageous. To classify as mental illness the physical changes a woman goes through every month?? Well, wait a minute. If this illness is covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act, then maybe I can retire on disability...

More likely it'll be classed as a "pre-existing condition" and thus used to deny insurance.

• Like 1

Does that mean I can plead insanity when I kill people while having my period?

Does that mean I can plead insanity when I kill people while having my period?

No, that would just be ovary-acting if you ask me. :whistle:

• Like 3

Very few women have the severe form of PMS that renders them psychologically ill. However, see how readily some are placing all women in this catagory. It's almost accepted that all women are by their very nature *nuts*...can this really be correct, are all women really crazy?

Now, why is this belief so common? I suggest reading this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/yashar-hedayat/a-message-to-women-from-a_1_b_958859.html

Edited by Lilly
fixed link

Its not the physical changes which is the issue..it IS the mental issue.

rest assured there will be many women using the "mental illness" category to their advantage, and to me, that is what is more outrageous.

As soon as something is given a name, some people use it as a disability or an excuse:

I have heard mothers say "my child has ADHD", when in fact their child is a little brat because of bad parenting.

• Like 1

No, that would just be ovary-acting if you ask me. :whistle:

haha, killer :lol:

My mate reckons they only call it PMS - because 'mad cow disease' was already taken!

sorry ladies..just kidding.

• Like 1

It's almost accepted that all women are by their very nature *nuts*...can this really be correct, are all women really crazy?

I would pose this

who is romantically involved w/ crazy people? unintelligent, or for the sake of brevity, dumb people. I base this on, it not being an intelligent chocie to attempt a relationship w/ a crazy person

if we accept that dumb people would be with a crazy person, then that leaves us with this proposition.

Women are crazy therefore men are dumb.

Are men dumb?

.....inarguably, yes

there fore the hypothesis of all women being crazy, is supported by the evidence of men being dumb.

I call it the misery equation

You know, this does have its advantages. When it comes to regulating periods, birth control pills are often used. Well, aren't we hearing about all those so-called religious organizations that refuse to allow their insurance to cover birth control pills? Now all you have to say is that regulating a period means managing the PMS and bingo! Insurance has no choice but to cover birth control pills because now they're for a medical need. So there ya go!

But seriously, if this is indeed a mental illness, it then deserves to be treated. If post partum depression were defined as a mental illness as well, maybe we wouldn't have so many women go so long without serious care and a lot of kids might not be killed by their mothers.