Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

sheriff's shoot 13 year old

OverSword

This is heart breaking, and I'm for gun rights so it's also, from thaty point of view a dissapointing thing to post.

From the story:

SANTA ROSA, Calif.

Northern California sheriff's deputies have shot and killed a 13-year-old boy after repeatedly telling him to drop what turned out to be a replica assault rifle, sheriff's officials and family members said.

Two Sonoma County deputies on patrol saw the boy walking with what appeared to be a high-powered weapon Tuesday afternoon in Santa Rosa, sheriff's Lt. Dennis O'Leary said.

The replica gun resembled an AK-47 with a black magazine cartridge and brown butt, according to a photograph released by the sheriff's office. Deputies would only learn after the shooting that it wasn't an actual firearm, according to O'Leary.

Rodrigo Lopez identified the boy as his son, Andy, to a newspaper and said the young teen was carrying a toy gun that belonged to a friend.

After spotting the boy, the deputies called for backup and repeatedly ordered him to drop the gun, O'Leary said in a news release. It wasn't clear whether he pointed the replica assault rifle at the deputies or made any type of threatening gesture. The sheriff's office referred calls to the Santa Rosa Police Department, which did not immediately return a call for comment.

My condolences to his family. I'm waiting to hear what the dash cam recorded.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/10/23/Calif-Sheriffs-deputies-shoot--kill-13-year-old

• Like 4

This is a story that needs to be "expanded" on. It seems to make no sense. My condolences to this poor family.

• Like 3

If the story is as black and white as this seems to be making it, I don't see the police in the wrong here. Sad story, but not wrong.

• Like 6

I have to agree with the above post. Why didn't he drop the gun? Seems like its common since to listen to the cops, especially with weapons drawn. Guess we'll have to play wait and see.

• Like 2

I'm assuming it was an airsoft rifle. They can look pretty realistic, especially from a distance. Thing is, even airsoft rifles are supposed to have brightly colored tips to differentiate them them from actual firearms, though I'm sure they're easily removeable. I'd also be interested to know if the kid actually raised his "weapon" at the police.

• Like 1

1st, some seem to take the "poor kid" stance, just because he was 13 does not make him sweet little Johnny material.

BUT, unless he actually aimed the gun, then I thought the law officers were not supposed to shoot?.

2nd, after all what has happened with children being shot, gun laws, the amount of media coverage, it is unbelivable to think that there are parents out there who would allow their children to play with guns, especially replica AK-47's and that some children have no problems about carrying them around the streets.

I know this gun belonged to his friend, then I think his friends parents should be put on trial along side the sheriff.

ALL those responsible for the welfare and protection of the children, should be held responsible here....so thats the law, the parents, and the parents of the child the gun belonged to.

• Like 1

Like I said, I want a report on what the dashcam saw.

Was this kid pointing his weapon after being ordered to drop it, or was it a couple of caucasian cops shooting a Mexican kid with a gun, or any of the other scenarios I can think of?

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

Sometimes when you are scared you freeze and don't know what to do even when a group of people have guns literally shoved in your face.

There is WAY too many instances these days of cops shooting and killing people then telling us we have to just shut up and deal with it.

So now we have another dead child, the cops will be told they did a swell job and the mother has to pick up the pieces.

It's always easy to say the cops were in the right to kill a child until it is one of their own.

A gunshot needn't always be a fatal one.

• Like 5

Sad story, but why was he walking around with an AK47 (I assume) airsoft gun. It is an unfortunate incident but he was the one who was walking around with the realistic looking rifle. The police have to treat it as real until proven otherwise.

A gunshot needn't always be a fatal one.

I have yet to see a professional LOE or a Soldier state that they train to shoot to wound. When you are aiming you aim for center of mass which is the easiest place to shoot. Unfortunately that is where the vital organs are.

shooting at a distance with pistols though, there's a better chance of a body shot than a leg shot.

A pistol is a close range weapon, they are horribly inaccurate at range thanks to their short barrels. Shooting a pistol any more than 50 meters is difficult due to the slight move of the barrel means inches or feet at the other end.

~Thanato

• Like 4

Good points all Thanato, I'm just praying these cops didn't get jumpy and shoot without real cause.

• Like 1

The cops are supposed to be highly trained right? So don't they have binoculars that allow them to get a close look at the weapon to determine if it is real or fake?

Seems like the cops modus operandi these days is shoot first and ask questions later. Too bad this kid had to do this these days. Back when my dad was a kid he used to bring his .22 to school, then hunt his way home with it. Oh how times have changed.

• Like 2

A pistol is a close range weapon, they are horribly inaccurate at range thanks to their short barrels. Shooting a pistol any more than 50 meters is difficult due to the slight move of the barrel means inches or feet at the other end.

~Thanato

That's what i was saying, if they had to shoot at this kid, trying to shoot his leg to just take him down wouldn't make sense for the usual police sidearm, you'd aim for a body shot, since its a wider area and the movement of the bullet would still probably hit the target somewhere

I'm not saying i like any of this, but ryu said something about shot selection, or so i assumed so i was trying to answer it

The cops are supposed to be highly trained right? So don't they have binoculars that allow them to get a close look at the weapon to determine if it is real or fake?

Seems like the cops modus operandi these days is shoot first and ask questions later. Too bad this kid had to do this these days. Back when my dad was a kid he used to bring his .22 to school, then hunt his way home with it. Oh how times have changed.

it was a replica, so it was specifically made to look realistic.

• Like 1

There's a reason toy guns are required by law to have unrealistic features, blame whoever gave the kid a realistic toy for this happening.

• Like 3

I would like to see more facts before jumping to any conclusions.

Agreed, this doctrine of "Headline first, facts second" irritates the hell out me. Especially when everybody is ready to use that headline as propaganda for whatever crap they got. :/

• Like 6

If it was an airsoft gun it wouldn't matter until you closely examine In your hands you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

• Like 2

I'm not reading any extracurricular suppositions into this. It didn't say the kid pointed the rifle, it didn't note what the kid said, he was simply carrying what looked like an assault rifle.

So now just carrying a rifle provokes police to shoot to kill? Paranoia will destroy ya.

When my dad was 15 he and his friends would bring guns to high school, and talk to his coaches and teachers in the high school parking lot about them. What a difference a thick slathering of statism will cause.

• Like 5

And once upon a time we sacrificed people to sun gods, and made brown people slaves.

Society moves forward

• Like 1

Now if the neighbors had guns they could have protected that kid cause 'Murica, Guns, Dale Ernheart.

captain-murica-32716.jpg

• Like 2

I'm not reading any extracurricular suppositions into this. It didn't say the kid pointed the rifle, it didn't note what the kid said, he was simply carrying what looked like an assault rifle.

So now just carrying a rifle provokes police to shoot to kill? Paranoia will destroy ya.

When my dad was 15 he and his friends would bring guns to high school, and talk to his coaches and teachers in the high school parking lot about them. What a difference a thick slathering of statism will cause.

We had guns in our trucks in school too. Once a guy accidently shot a hole in his trucks floorboard at school with his "unloaded" 30-30

and police showed up, and just told him to be more careful. Teachers blew it off too, that was the way things were back then.

But nowadays something like that happened, if you aren't shot dead, who knows what else you have to endure. Just the way things are I suppose after all the school incidents.

Edited by Realm
  • Like 3

My condolences to his family. I'm waiting to hear what the dash cam recorded.

If pointing in the direction it will have recorded police officers shooting and killing a child carrying toy guns. :(

• Like 1

I find that offensive.

.....using capt. america's shield like that, he should be ashamed

It protects 'Murica from giving healthcare to the poor, limiting the availability of guns, taking away "freedoms", it stops abortions and turns gays straight and muslims into good ol' god fearing christians.