Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

sheriff's shoot 13 year old

OverSword

I know quiet a lot about guns. From the photo, I'd have a hard time telling the "fake" from the "real" Ak-47 apart, unless I was able to physically handle the weapon and/or see it up close. If I was in that situation, with only a second or two at most to act, I'd assume that was a real rifle and act accordingly. Especially if it appears the person was turning said weapon towards me or towards another innocent. Anyone who values their lives/the lives of their children would act accordingly. So yes, unless more information comes out, it was simply a horrible accident.

You have a lot of trust for LE. An accident? This is no accident, this is a deliberate killing. The only question is whether or not the killing was justified. An accident would be a cop shooting himself in the foot with his gun, not deliberately killing a person.

• Like 4

You have a lot of trust for LE. An accident? This is no accident, this is a deliberate killing. The only question is whether or not the killing was justified. An accident would be a cop shooting himself in the foot with his gun, not deliberately killing a person.

And unless further evidence comes forth, the officer is innocent (still it was horrible what happened, but justified)

• Like 1

More info:

The sheriff doesn't remember if he identified himself and shot the kid dead before the car had stopped. also claims he told him to drop the gun twice and the barrel was raising as he was turning towards them.

Sounds like a case of a jumpy cop who shot too soon. Told him to drop the gun twice before the car had even stopped???? They say the car wasn't equipped with recording devices???? What year is this? I don't buy it. Looks like this deputy gets away with cold blooded murder.

http://www.mercuryne...-about-shooting

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4

And unless further evidence comes forth, the officer is innocent (still it was horrible what happened, but justified)

How about now?

More info:

The sheriff doesn't remember if he identified himself and shot the kid dead before the car had stopped.

previously they said they hid behind car doors, during shooting, now it turns out he killed the kid before car even stopped. i can't wait for more facts to come out.

previously they said they hid behind car doors, during shooting, now it turns out he killed the kid before car even stopped. i can't wait for more facts to come out.

The only fact is that without a dashcam recording it's what the cop says vs. what a corpse says.

if it was that simple, he would be off the hook already, fbi is also involved, there are withnesses. will see

Why would the FBI be involved? FBI only gets involved if a federal crime was committed or if state lines were crossed during the commission of a crime.

Santa Rosa ordinances.

10-24.030 Discharge of firearms—Prohibited.

Except as otherwise provided in Section 10-24.050, no person shall fire or discharge, or cause or permit to be fired or discharged within the City any pistol, revolver, gun, rifle, of any caliber, or cannon, and also any airgun, bb gun, blow gun, slingshot, bow, longbow, crossbow or any instrument which throws or projects bullets, pellets or missiles of any kind, by means of powder or any explosive substance, or by means of the elastic force of air, rubber or steel springs, or in any manner use the same to the danger of any person or injury to property except in lawful defense of a person or persons, or of property, or except as herein provided. (Prior code § 16.13.1)

24.050 Discharge of firearmsExceptions. <a name="startContent">

Sections 10-24.030 and 10-24.040 shall not apply to the following:

(A) To any weapon, the possession or discharge of which is prohibited by the laws of the State of California, or any particular use or means of use of which is prohibited by the laws of the State of California;

( B) To police, peace officers, deputies or persons in military service during the course and scope of their official duties;

© To any weapon used lawfully at a firing, shooting or hunting range or field designated as such by the City Council, or at a firing range which meets the requirements of the National Rifle Association;

(D) To any weapon defined in Section 10-24.030 when used as a necessary tool during the construction or modification of any facility pursuant to a valid building permit issued by the City;

(E) To such weapon as described below, when used by any person for sporting use upon, and totally confined within, private property, with the express permission of the property owner or lawful occupant:

(1) As used in subsection (E), weapon is defined as:

(a) A gas, pneumatic or spring pellet or bb gun,

( B) Plastic or wax projectiles powered by primers only,

© Rimfire c.b. or bb cap,

(d) Any arrow or missile projected by a long or crossbow;

(2) Sporting use means in conjunction with and directed at an approved backstop appropriate for such missile or projectile as recommended by the National Rifle Association or the National Field Archery Association. (Prior code § 16.13.3)

So it isn't illegal to own these weapons, just where they are discharged. So this kid did nothing wrong. Had the Deputy stoppe his car, exited and used his PA system to tell the kid "Sheriffs department, you on the sidewalk, drop the weapon" with a loud voice, he might be alive.

But the kid probably thought it was a friend or someone playing a joke, only to turn with the weapon, and die needlessly.

Edited by Realm
  • Like 1

Santa Rosa ordinances.

10-24.030 Discharge of firearms—Prohibited.

Except as otherwise provided in Section 10-24.050, no person shall fire or discharge, or cause or permit to be fired or discharged within the City any pistol, revolver, gun, rifle, of any caliber, or cannon, and also any airgun, bb gun, blow gun, slingshot, bow, longbow, crossbow or any instrument which throws or projects bullets, pellets or missiles of any kind, by means of powder or any explosive substance, or by means of the elastic force of air, rubber or steel springs, or in any manner use the same to the danger of any person or injury to property except in lawful defense of a person or persons, or of property, or except as herein provided. (Prior code § 16.13.1)

24.050 Discharge of firearmsExceptions. <a name="startContent">

Sections 10-24.030 and 10-24.040 shall not apply to the following:

(A) To any weapon, the possession or discharge of which is prohibited by the laws of the State of California, or any particular use or means of use of which is prohibited by the laws of the State of California;

( B) To police, peace officers, deputies or persons in military service during the course and scope of their official duties;

© To any weapon used lawfully at a firing, shooting or hunting range or field designated as such by the City Council, or at a firing range which meets the requirements of the National Rifle Association;

(D) To any weapon defined in Section 10-24.030 when used as a necessary tool during the construction or modification of any facility pursuant to a valid building permit issued by the City;

(E) To such weapon as described below, when used by any person for sporting use upon, and totally confined within, private property, with the express permission of the property owner or lawful occupant:

(1) As used in subsection (E), weapon is defined as:

(a) A gas, pneumatic or spring pellet or bb gun,

( B) Plastic or wax projectiles powered by primers only,

© Rimfire c.b. or bb cap,

(d) Any arrow or missile projected by a long or crossbow;

(2) Sporting use means in conjunction with and directed at an approved backstop appropriate for such missile or projectile as recommended by the National Rifle Association or the National Field Archery Association. (Prior code § 16.13.3)

So it isn't illegal to own these weapons, just where they are discharged. So this kid did nothing wrong. Had the Deputy stoppe his car, exited and used his PA system to tell the kid "Sheriffs department, you on the sidewalk, drop the weapon" with a loud voice, he might be alive.

But the kid probably thought it was a friend or someone playing a joke, only to turn with the weapon, and die needlessly.

Nobody said it was illegal to own airsoft guns.

California Dangerous Weapons Control Law 2008:

Chapter 6 article 1.

12550. As used in this article, the following definitions apply:

(a) "BB device" is defined in subdivision (g) of Section 12001.

( B) "Firearm" is defined in subdivision ( B) of Section 12001.

© "Imitation firearm" means any BB device, toy gun, replica of a firearm, or other device that is so substantially similar in coloration and overall appearance to an existing firearm as to lead a reasonable person to perceive that the device is a firearm.

12553. Any person who changes, alters, removes, or obliterates any coloration or markings that are required for by any applicable state or federal law or regulation, for any imitation firearm, or device described in subdivision © of Section 12555, in any way that makes the imitation firearm or device look more like a firearm is guilty of a misdemeanor. This subdivision shall not apply to manufacturer, importer, or distributor of imitation firearms or to the lawful use in theatrical productions, including motion pictures, television, and stage productions.

( B) Any manufacturer, importer, or distributor of imitation firearms that fails to comply with any applicable federal law or regulation governing the marking of a toy, look-alike or imitation firearm as defined by federal law or regulation is guilty of a misdemeanor

12556. (a) No person may openly display or expose any imitation firearm, as defined in Section 12550, in a public place. ( B) Violation of this section, except as provided in subdivision ©, is an infraction punishable by a fine of one hundred dollars ($100) for the first offense, and three hundred dollars ($300) for a second offense

Based on California Laws the kid violated 2.

Open carry in public view fineable offense and knowingly carrying a modified airsoft imitation firearm with no orange tip which is a misdemeanor offense.

The kid was in the wrong one way or another. Citing Santa Rosa city ordinances doesn't supercede state law.

** I'd edit out the smiley faces, but I am just too lazy to change it for actual section labels.

Edited by RaptorBites
  • Like 1

How about now?

If it's proven that the officer jumped the gun (no pun intended :o ), then my position will change.

Granted, it does seem odd that there was no recording device in the case.

But until all the facts come out, I won't jump to conclusions. Look what that did to the Zimmerman case. The media held a trial and all but convicted Zimmerman on half-truths and outright lies. Thankfully he was found innocent.

All that being said, things are looking bad for the officer in this case. I will say that and I hope the truth does come out, for the sake of the teenager's family if nothing else. Eitherway, this truly is a sad case.

• Like 2

A 14-year-old Battle Creek boy was being treated Saturday afternoon after being shot once by a police officer.

Battle Creek police said the youth was holding a replica of a semi-automatic handgun when he was shot.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/11/18/335273/us-police-shoot-teen-with-fake-gun/

• Like 1

A 14-year-old Battle Creek boy was being treated Saturday afternoon after being shot once by a police officer.

Battle Creek police said the youth was holding a replica of a semi-automatic handgun when he was shot.

http://www.presstv.i...-with-fake-gun/

Weird, the cop didn't even say the teen pointed the gun at him.

you don't have to these days, apperantly all you have to do is make a cop believe you can possibly be a threat. that is enough for them to kill you, and be considered a hero afterwards.

• Like 1

A pattern may be emerging, here...

yea, first you get in trobble in school for even having food that resambles guns, nra t-shirt. than cops get green light to waste any kid with toy guns. what more do you need to have future generations that hate guns with passion? aka obidient slaves.

i might be overthinking things, but facts show exactly that.

• Like 1

yea, first you get in trobble in school for even having food that resambles guns, nra t-shirt. than cops get green light to waste any kid with toy guns. what more do you need to have future generations that hate guns with passion? aka obidient slaves.

i might be overthinking things, but facts show exactly that.

You're not overthinking it one bit. One sure way to shut up the opposition is to label them or to make them feel they could potentially be labeled a conspiracy theorist.

That is why I decided that all conspiracy theories are true until proven beyond even the slightest ridiculous doubt that they are false. Better safe than sorry, and I'm already crazy so what's one more label right?

You're not overthinking it one bit. One sure way to shut up the opposition is to label them or to make them feel they could potentially be labeled a conspiracy theorist.

That is why I decided that all conspiracy theories are true until proven beyond even the slightest ridiculous doubt that they are false. Better safe than sorry, and I'm already crazy so what's one more label right?

Have you heard of "The Boy who Cried Wolf"? Just trying to give helpful advice here, but believing in all conspiracy theories is just going to devalue your opinion to your peers. When one actually ends up being true, they won't listen...

. When one actually ends up being true, they won't listen...

so? let them not believe. who cares. all that is matters is that you were right, saw it happen, and prepared, unlike others. their loss. all figuratevely speaking of course.

Edited by aztek

so? let them not believe. who cares. all that is matters is that you were right, saw it happen, and prepared, unlike others. their loss. all figuratevely speaking of course.

I think your statement is very shortsighted, and not well thought out. I can't speak for him, or you, but I know I have peers that I would like to listen to me so I don't lose them.

Maybe he would like his mother, brother, sister, etc. safe from whatever may happen. You say "all that is matters is that you were right", I say losing my family even though I was correct would be at best a Pyrrhic Victory.

well if you care more about what others think of you, than what happens in real world with you, and them for that matter, than i guess you made your choice.

well if you care more about what others think of you, than what happens in real world with you, and them for that matter, than i guess you made your choice.

No, I mean that I don't want those that I care about to perceive my warnings as another "crying wolf". It has nothing to do what other think of me.

For a personal example, I don't care what my brother thinks of me. He could think I'm a loser for all I care. I just want him to believe me when I say "We need to get out, there are bombs heading this way". If I had told him that several times before, and I was wrong, he won't believe me when it matters. As much as it is to keep my brother safe for his own good, it's just as much for myself, as I wouldn't be happy that my brother didn't heed my warning, and succumbed to the explosions. I would have to live on without my brother, being correct wouldn't balance out the loss of my sibling.

• Like 1