Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Countrywide found guilty of defrauding US

questionmark

Bank of America Corp.’s Countrywide unit was found liable by a jury for selling Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac thousands of defective loans in the first mortgage-fraud case brought by the U.S. government to go to trial.

A federal jury in Manhattan yesterday also found former Countrywide Financial Corp. executive Rebecca Mairone liable for defrauding the U.S. Mairone was the only individual named as a defendant in the government’s lawsuit.

U.S. District Judge Jed Rakoff, who presided over the trial, told lawyers he’ll determine the amount of any civil penalty at a later date. Assistant U.S. Attorney Pierre Armand asked the judge to impose a penalty of as much as $848 million, representing the gross losses to Fannie Mae (FNMA) and Freddie Mac. Armand said alternatively, Rakoff could fine Countrywide about $131 million, the estimated net losses to the two entities.

Read more

• Like 1

Only one defendant named in Countrywide? Talk about your token scapegoat.

• Like 9

Yeah, unscrupulous mortgage practices ran rampant during the housing bubble. They need to point the finger at a much wider group IMO.

• Like 2

Only one defendant named in Countrywide? Talk about your token scapegoat.

They need to balance the budget, and a few multi-billion dollar fines against big banks, even though it is for offenses by companies the banks took over at government request, will help. Go where the money is, actually guilty or not.
  • Like 1

People lost their homes because of these money hungry a*******......And they get fined, but no one goes to jail......and Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac don't get into trouble either.....I can't comment on this anymore, or I'm going to start yelling.... :no:

• Like 2

GOV engineered crisis.. engeneered collapse and engineered scape goat...... all at the expense of the taxpayer...... the D's and R's need to be removed ASAP

• Like 2

Reminds me of the commercial: "Countrywide is on our side"

Oh wait, they said "your" :passifier:

• Like 1

From what I understand, B of A was forced by the Fed. and/or Treasure Dept. to buy Countrywide. I wonder why ...

• Like 1

Reminds me of the commercial: "Countrywide is on our side"

Oh wait, they said "your" :passifier:

They also said "Nationwide...". :(

• Like 1