Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Astronomers find 'most distant' galaxy

UM-Bot

An international team of astronomers has detected a galaxy that is 30 billion light years away.

The galaxy was found using the Hubble Space Telescope and then later confirmed through the Keck Observatory in Hawaii. At 13. 1 billion years old the galaxy\'s distance in light years is much greater than its age due to the expansion of the universe.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/256764/astronomers-find-most-distant-galaxy

Something doesn't make sense in this claim speaking of deduction of years, distance age...etc

It's because the universe is expanding (or at least getting less dense with more space between objects) so that an object that seems 13 billion light years away is really by now much further.

I call Bull ****... That is the farthest they could find... But, I know in my heart of hearts that the universe has no ending...

Something doesn't make sense in this claim speaking of deduction of years, distance age...etc

Makes sense to me. Of course I accept the universe is expanding.

still think 30 billion light years is a bit far in a universe only 13.8 billion years old lol

• Like 1

It's quite far away then!!

If light travels at the speed of light then how does a telescope see something that far away when the light takes 30 billion years to get to the lense?

Could someone explain it (in layman's terms) because I'm finding it difficult to take in.... :no:

I was giving off light on the way.

Simple enough?

Harte

What is the velocity of the expansion of the universe, and has the center of the universe been located using red/blue shift measurements?

What is the velocity of the expansion of the universe, and has the center of the universe been located using red/blue shift measurements?

The entire universe is expanding. There is no center.

In fact, the idea of a center would be counter to the concept of relativity in that it would give us a reference point that was immobile and thus we would be able to measure all velocities against it - allowing the existence of absolute velocity.

If such a concept were true, then relativity experiments would not reveal what they have revealed.

Regarding the expansion velocity, there is none.

There is a rate of expansion. How "fast" an object appears to recede from us depends on how much expanding space exists between that object and ourselves.

Harte

still think 30 billion light years is a bit far in a universe only 13.8 billion years old lol

My thoughts exactly!

People are thinking about this wrong. The AGE of the universe is 13.798 ± 0.037 billion years. This is not the same as the diameter of the observable universe (what we can see from earth) due to the expansion of space, which we now know is accelerating.

The diameter of the observable universe is estimated at 93 billion light years, making it roughly 46-47 billion years in each direction that we look.

Perhaps this Galaxy is where the "Gods" reside. There are bound to be Earth Like Planets Google of years old and in that time frame a Civilization should of developed and traveled here if they don't blow them selves up first like we eventually will.

People are thinking about this wrong. The AGE of the universe is 13.798 ± 0.037 billion years. This is not the same as the diameter of the observable universe (what we can see from earth) due to the expansion of space, which we now know is accelerating.

The diameter of the observable universe is estimated at 93 billion light years, making it roughly 46-47 billion years in each direction that we look.

If something was 30 billion light years away we would be seeing it now as it was 30 billion years ago - but the whole universe is apparently only 13.8 billion years old soooooooo the light from this galaxy started travelling 16-17 billion years before the universe formed?

to be clear it may be that far away - having gone off in the opposite direction to the direction we have expanded in - but that 30 billion light years away galaxy is not what we see - what we see is what that galaxy was like 13.1 billion years ago.

If the universe is expanding and we are getting farther away (from where, other galaxy's ?)how is it forecast that the Andromeda galaxy will collide with the Milky Way galaxy.What are these people trying to prove,pehaps it would be far better if they turned their attention towards planets that we could live on in the future,and unless we come up with how to solve long time space travel no one is going to survive.

If something was 30 billion light years away we would be seeing it now as it was 30 billion years ago - but the whole universe is apparently only 13.8 billion years old soooooooo the light from this galaxy started travelling 16-17 billion years before the universe formed?

You're not. The article states the light is 13.1 billion years old. Based on the redshift they've calculated the distance.

Andromeda is in our local group where random movements overcome the overall expansion.

or how i wonder how can people discover a galaxy 30 billion light years away whilist its 30 BILLION LIGHT YEARS AWAYA!!!!!

Bloody liars. impossible

I would point out that what we see is what the galaxy was over thirteen billion years ago. It has no doubt since done a lot of things, like more than likely been absorbed into other galaxies. It has also in the interim moved quite aways further from us, as we have also from it.

Observable being the key here. As we improve the technology, there will one day come a time we can see no farther into the Universe, that being beyond the farthest distance light has traveled from its source to the earth. Beyond that we can only make educated guesses but no direct observations.

• Like 1

or how i wonder how can people discover a galaxy 30 billion light years away whilist its 30 BILLION LIGHT YEARS AWAYA!!!!!

Bloody liars. impossible

Obviously you didn't read the article.
  • Like 1