Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant solar mirrors bring light to small town

seeder

Giant solar mirrors bring light to Norwegian town

A Norwegian town, deprived of sunlight during the winter, has placed giant mirrors on top of surrounding mountains that will beam light into the valley to cheer up the locals.

Rjukan, some 160 kilometers west of the capital Oslo, is encircled by high hillsides which let no direct sunlight into the town between September and March. For years about 3,500 people living in the area suffered from the lack of sun and had to use a cable car to get on top of the mountains to enjoy some -rays in winter.

But now three 17-meter large mirrors - hoisted by helicopters and erected about 450 meters above Rjukan - will reflect light onto the town's market square creating the illusion of a second sun.

http://rt.com/news/norway-giant-mirrors-sun-688/

• Like 1

Works with anthills too!

eh? What do you mean?

that's a great idea, maybe they can bring those mirrors to the big cities which are being blocked off by sunlight:

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

With the magnifying glass, Seeder, it can fry ants. I was thinking it might get mighty warm in spots in that courtyard, too, and blindingly bright.

I heard about this years ago elsewhere(no offense, seeder) and I agree that this was, and is, an innovative solution to what apparently was a problem.

• Like 1

I was thinking it might get mighty warm in spots in that courtyard, too, and blindingly bright.

I think it's a wide enough illumination to not cause "hot-spots"

And it's no more bright, actually slightly less, than the Sun being overhead(due to the way the mirrors are aligned)

But I haven't been there, and could be wrong.

:lol: I loved this comment under the article

And all 7 people who live there climbed out of the shadows to enjoy the spot of sunlight. :-D

mirror-3.jpg

:w00t::tu:

Good for them. I couldn't imagine what it'd be like to live without sun for 5-6 months out of a year. Betting they'll try to make those mirrors into a tourist attraction.

• Like 1

Hmm I can see it now the whole town coming out to sunbathe the local sunglasses dealer finally does a good trade & the solarium owner go's out of business & the melanoma's start to appear. :w00t:

• Like 1

Might it just be easier and better to live on top of the mountain? :lol:

This will only end in disaster, have they never seen the Thunderbirds episode Lord Parker's 'Oliday?