Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious hum could be mating fish

UM-Bot

Local authorities have been investigating a strange and pervasive humming noise in Southampton.

The sound is so pervasive and so annoying that some residents of Hythe in Hampshire, England have had to resort to moving away from the area. The local council received so many complaints about the problem that they launched their own investigation in an effort to get to the bottom of it.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/256820/mysterious-hum-could-be-mating-fish

• Like 1

I've heard similar reports of humming noises and actually know someone who claims to hear such a sound which only seems to be perceptible to themselves and the environmental agency haven't been able to find or detect the source of the sound. It's easy to then dismiss these elusive sounds as tinnitus and Spontaneous otoacoustic emissions which I suffer from in one ear a faint hissing sound. Perhaps there is a much more simpler explanation to these humming sounds as in the case of the article.

Edited by aimlesswalk
  • Like 1

Honey? What's that noise? Is someone breaking in?

No sweetheart, it's just the mating fish.

• Like 5

I do not buy that explanation. It's the shadow government building new underground facilities. My explanation is much more reasonable. Mating fish. as if. This would have been going on for millenia and be documented in that area for time out of mind.

• Like 1

I love a good HUMMER !! :yes:

Edited by mfrmboy
  • Like 3

From the article:

"Males of this nocturnal fish species are known to hum to one another both in an effort to attract females and to deter rival males. The low frequency nature of the hum makes it easy for it carry through the ground and up in to people's homes through the walls."

Just as I thought...it's the male fish that are the problem!

We often hear a pervasive and annoying sound underneath our house in the crawl space... I think it's my cat doing the same thing those fish do...

Bs, this hum is heard across the gobe. Is not the fish. Authorities saying it are plain ridiculos.

Bs, this hum is heard across the gobe. Is not the fish. Authorities saying it are plain ridiculos.

Just because a low pitched hum is heard in more than one place doesn't mean it has a universal cause. More than one thing can cause low frequency sounds.

• Like 1

What if they investigate the sound, and they see these two fishes, and-

To make a long story short, the male says "HUM LOUDER! YES! HMMMMMMM!!!"

Maybe all the fish are using electronic personal pleasure devices? :blush:

Fish have been identified as the source of strange sounds before.

Seattle:

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2012/09/07/fish-mating-call-blamed-for-loud-humming-sound-in-west-seattle/

Florida, California, Massachusetts:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/08/science/08fish.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Other fish use stridulation, rubbing their bones together in a way that is comparable to plinking the tines on a comb or using a ratchet mechanism on their pectoral fins to make sounds. Herring release bubbles from their anus in a “fast repetitive tick.”

• 5 weeks later...

I really dont' see why this need be mysterious or a great mystery, seeing that just down the road is Fawley oil refinery, which is just the kind of place you might expect various kinds of noises to emanate.

• 1 month later...

I really dont' see why this need be mysterious or a great mystery, seeing that just down the road is Fawley oil refinery, which is just the kind of place you might expect various kinds of noises to emanate.

And the water traffic in the Solent. Every time I visit Lepe I hear sporadic humming/roaring noises which appear to be out in the water directly in front of me, then I look eastwards and note the noise coincides with the Red-Jet hydrofoil crossing between Southampton and Cowes.

• Like 1

Agreed. When I lived near Syracuse, NY, we had a similar situation and it turned out to be a bad fan at a nearby power plant.

• Like 1

What a bunch of degenerates! My kind of people. I think people living in houseboats in Sausalito CA kept hearing humming, and it did turn out to be amorous toadfish. http://www.nytimes.com/1989/06/26/us/sausalito-journal-voice-of-the-turtle-no-toadfish-love-song.html

"in the event of a fish... always use the indefinite article a fish, never your fish." Chuck Palahnuik's 'Fish Club'

Edited by DumpsterJesus
  • Like 1