Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are Tarantulas the stuff of nightmares?

Still Waters

Tarantulas have large, hairy bodies that make them the stuff of nightmares for many, but they look more threatening than they actually are. The mild venom of their bite is weaker than the average bee's, and causes little more pain than a wasp sting. There are hundreds of species of tarantula living in the world's tropical jungles and deserts.

Pics -

http://www.bbc.co.uk.../life/Tarantula

Disagree with this, some of them eat birds or small mammals, you dont see bees eating birds or mammals

Disagree with this, some of them eat birds or small mammals, you dont see bees eating birds or mammals

That's because prey items have a much smaller body mass than humans do. In addition, tarantulas will also begin pumping digestive enzymes into the prey so it can be liquified for consumption. In all of recorded history there has been no deaths related to tarantula bites. In fact its rare for tarantulas to even pump venom when biting a human.

• Like 2

you'd think that people would like tarantula's more than most other spiders, i mean, they're so fuzzy! but fears aren't always rational, and that's fine.

• Like 1

I've always seen tarantulas as the gentle giants of the arachnid world.

The Sydney Funnel Web spider however is a different story altogether.

*Snip*

If any spider were the stuff of nightmares it would be them.

Edited by Still Waters
Removed copyrighted image
  • Like 4

Spiders and tarantulas are a vital species and they get rid of nuisance pests.

I love spiders:post-99612-0-81743300-1382747899.jpg

• Like 1

you'd think that people would like tarantula's more than most other spiders, i mean, they're so fuzzy! but fears aren't always rational, and that's fine.

The only one that I met was so tentative and polite (and fuzzy). With someone bigger than them, they're very gentle creatures.

• Like 1

The only one that I met was so tentative and polite (and fuzzy). With someone bigger than them, they're very gentle creatures.

They have been around for 20+ million years, if not longer and are pretty gentle from all I have seen.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1