Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New York restaurant bans talking

Still Waters

A restaurant in New York is offering its customers silent dining - by taking talking off the menu.

Customers have to reserve days in advance for the privilege of eating without speaking or hearing a word at EAT in Brooklyn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-24641836

• Like 2

Not even Please and Thankyou .

• Like 3

Oh..not for me. I mean, it might be fun for a bit communicating without talking, but I'd rather listen to chatter than to the sounds of people eating. lol

I guess it's safer to say that than "No women allowed".

wow, really? that's some bold and incisive humor you got going on there, man.

ok, the article. i guess it's interesting as a gimmick, but i think that good conversation is an important part of the dining experience. "thinking about the experience" of eating is very possible while talking, and talking about what you're eating makes that experience better, to my mind.

They'd better have duct tape at the door cuz that's the only way to shut my husband up. :D

• Like 1

. . . _ _ _ . . .

• Like 1

I take it no mobile phones are allowed?

Yep, I`ll have some of this restaurant, I can sit there and eat a meal with out talking and I can sit there without listening to others around me, and I can...did I tell you about the time when.............

. . . _ _ _ . . .

For some reason, I can still hear you!

• Like 1

Well I like the idea!

I hate overhearing the pillocks around me when I'm out to dinner.

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats

How the heck are they going to get a bunch of New Yorkers to shut up long enough to eat?...

You guys obviously aren't new yorkers.

Sometimes you just want damn QUIET

If restaurants wouldn't crowd the tables so close together they could charge higher prices and people would still come. Good manners in any public place requires keeping one's voice down. Others have to spend mental energy keeping your prattle out of their consciousness.

I have a place I go to sometimes when I'm on expense account that automatically gives me a private room when there are four or more. I'm greeted by name and ushered right in. Of course this impresses the guests. I couldn't afford the place on my own, but I think their behavior is extremely good business.

I bet all the menu's are written in French so you haven't a clue what you're ordering, points at menu, err (ssshhh), whispers Bonsoir, je ne comprends pas, (ssshhh) ,je voudrais.....SSSHHH. (In English, that's it I'm off, stands up and walks out).

• Like 1

Ban on talking?

No big deal... where my wife works as a waitress, some just text each other anyway.

• Like 2

Some of the places in NYC are so LOUD, you can't hear what your companion, a mere twelve inches away is saying.

With all the yuppies students and hipsters, ruining the city with their over crowding it to the point you wait on line two hours now, to be seated at a good restaurant, it's just all very annoying to those of us who remember when you could go to Manhattan on a Wednesday night, find parking easily, and eat at a great place and have a good time, without a bunch of sweaty squids all yapping about bull**** so loudly, you want to kill yourself.

Bloomberg and Quinn building all the dorms and condos and packing the city to ridiculous amounts of ppl, have made it unbearable.

Manhattan and the trendy parts of Brooklyn. I mean why bother going out at all.

Then fools who wait in line two hours for crap like cronuts.

Seriously...???

SERIOUSLY?!?!

Edited by Simbi Laveau

Some of the places in NYC are so LOUD, you can't hear what your companion, a mere twelve inches away is saying.

With all the yuppies students and hipsters, ruining the city with their over crowding it to the point you wait on line two hours now, to be seated at a good restaurant, it's just all very annoying to those of us who remember when you could go to Manhattan on a Wednesday night, find parking easily, and eat at a great place and have a good time, without a bunch of sweaty squids all yapping about bull**** so loudly, you want to kill yourself.

Bloomberg and Quinn building all the dorms and condos and packing the city to ridiculous amounts of ppl, have made it unbearable.

Manhattan and the trendy parts of Brooklyn. I mean why bother going out at all.

Then fools who wait in line two hours for crap like cronuts.

Seriously...???

SERIOUSLY?!?!

Yeah, I think patrons should me MORE interested in overhearing MY conversation and shut their yap while I''m talking. :w00t:

Ban on talking?

No big deal... where my wife works as a waitress, some just text each other anyway.

in this era, texting is probably more common than talking. Every restaurant I go to there are at least three tables full of people with their phones out lol

I'm going to bet this concept won't last very long. I doubt they'll have enough customers to sustain their business.

exactly, you just cant expect a food place to be quiet. People bring kids and babies and they can be loud. Besides, its just awkward to walk into a restaurant while its quiet. All you would hear is forks clashing against the plate

They should ban cell phones in all stores. I hate hearing people talk on there phones when I'm shopping.

And they talk about stupid stuff

I was in a coffee shop awhile back and there was an idiot talking on his phone so all the place could hear. After a few minutes the waiter went up to him and asked him to leave. When asked why, the waiter said that the proprietor didn't like his loud voice.

The other customers applauded.