Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are conspiracy theories destroying democracy?

Commander CMG

The more information we have about what governments and corporations are up to the less we seem to trust them. Will conspiracy theories eventually destroy democracy?

What if I told you I had conclusive proof that the moon landings were faked, but I had been told to keep it under wraps by my BBC bosses acting under orders from the CIA, NSA and MI6. Most of you would think I had finally lost my mind.

But, for some, that scenario - a journalist working for a mainstream media organisation being manipulated by shadowy forces to keep vital information from the public - would seem entirely plausible, or even likely.

We live in a golden age for conspiracy theories. There is a growing assumption that everything we are told by the authorities is wrong, or not quite as it seems. That the truth is being manipulated or obscured by powerful vested interests.

arrow3.gifView: Read more

Well, surely this But, for some, that scenario - a journalist working for a mainstream media organisation being manipulated by shadowy forces to keep vital information from the public - would seem entirely plausible, or even likely, is very plausible or even likely because we've seen it happen with that Beeb journalist who was fired because of pressure from the Blair/Campbell dictatorship for stating the bleeding obvious, that Blair/Campbell were lying about Iraq's Weapons of Bad, so it really is a bit rich for a Beeb journalist to try to claim that it's such a ludicruous and absurd idea, isn't it. So it's hardly a wonder that people think that attempts to rubbish the whole idea like this are themselves part of the conspiracy, can you. And similarly There is a growing assumption that everything we are told by the authorities is wrong, or not quite as it seems. That the truth is being manipulated or obscured by powerful vested interests, because people know that governments lie - which is surely a very healthy thing that the People do know that - and that the truth, or at any rate the Media outlets, are manipulated by powerful vested interests, particularly by the name of Murdoch, that do have power and influence over Governments.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh
  • Like 2

If we define democracy as the populace controlling the government by way of elections and elected officials doing the supposed will of the electorate, then democracy is already dead, and conspiracy theories are not responsible for its death.

The cause of conspiracy theories is government story-telling that does not comport with facts and reality. Government coverups, for whatever reason.

From the UFO matter, to WMD, to assassinations of JFK and MLK to TWA800 and 911, the government is an institution of prevarication. Perhaps US v. Reynolds back in 1953 was the first example of such prevarication to make it to the Supreme Court, perhaps not, but it was a seminal case.

And so eventually the question becomes: Is it rational to believe the statements of known liars without further verification?

Democracy is an illusion, as is the beneficence and veracity of government.

• Like 4

If we define democracy as the populace controlling the government by way of elections and elected officials doing the supposed will of the electorate, then democracy is already dead, and conspiracy theories are not responsible for its death.

The cause of conspiracy theories is government story-telling that does not comport with facts and reality. Government coverups, for whatever reason.

From the UFO matter, to WMD, to assassinations of JFK and MLK to TWA800 and 911, the government is an institution of prevarication. Perhaps US v. Reynolds back in 1953 was the first example of such prevarication to make it to the Supreme Court, perhaps not, but it was a seminal case.

And so eventually the question becomes: Is it rational to believe the statements of known liars without further verification?

Democracy is an illusion, as is the beneficence and veracity of government.

Thats a question only you need to contemplate. :whistle: Que that Song Sweetpumper !

Thats a question only you need to contemplate. :whistle: Que that Song Sweetpumper !

He's correct in his assessment. America doesn't have democracy. It has... what's that word... a Dictatorship. Obama claiming he can send people to prison for life without a trial? Police-state, verging onto tyranny if it hasn't already.

Theories only come into existence through suspicious activity and cover-ups, which the US government is somewhat infamous for.

• Like 3

"Prison for life" would make us look too much like Russia. Instant death by way of drone is the Obama practice.

• Like 5

I read the article and to be honest, or maybe I have the mindset of a conspiracy theorist like Gordon Brown. (As the professor in article claims without actually pointing out what the mindset of a conspiracy theorist is!) I find the premise of the article rather typical and dull.

Its starts off well by suggesting that "The reason we have conspiracy theories is that sometimes governments and organisations do conspire," but by the end it uses the typical typecasting of people by suggest that if you do not trust government, then you are a conspiracy theorist and that most conspiracies are actually c***-ups. The article goes on to claim that they are examining whether more openness will fuel more conspiracies because governments will want to keep more secrets. :blink:

Conspiracies happen and sometimes take years before they are uncovered. Look at the Jillings report, which uncovered a huge amount of child abuse going off in care homes. This was covered up for many years for fear of litigation and compensation pay outs by the insurance companies of the councils, who advised that the chair of social services be sacked if he spoke out. All of the copies were thought to have been destroyed but thankfully a few people kept copies of it.

What is destroying democracy (Here in the UK at least!) is that the major political parties are run by the privileged few, working for the vested interests of large corporations and not in the people they are suppose to represent. They do this using propaganda and fear to keep us divided into social groups that take away the focus away what they are really doing. They use public enquiries and investigations to shield themselves like in Jillings reports or the Hillsborough report.

Conspiracy theories are not destroying democracy but I would say it is damaging trust in our government.

• Like 5

He's correct in his assessment. America doesn't have democracy. It has... what's that word... a Dictatorship. Obama claiming he can send people to prison for life without a trial? Police-state, verging onto tyranny if it hasn't already.

Theories only come into existence through suspicious activity and cover-ups, which the US government is somewhat infamous for.

I will Defend Our POTUS to the End ! America has a Fine Democracy ! Always Will. Barack Obama is one of the best presidents we have had ! So sad that some very few people on this planet Speak out in a negative form about him !

In the case of the 911 attack, conspiracy theories were hatched due to outright ignorance, which explains why truther theories have been demolished over the past 12 years, and I can provide a long list of examples where their theories are no longer valid, but then again, their theories were not valid to begin with because they were not based on facts and evidence.

I will Defend Our POTUS to the End ! America has a Fine Democracy ! Always Will. Barack Obama is one of the best presidents we have had ! So sad that some very few people on this planet Speak out in a negative form about him !

The anti-government folks are like that.

You must be joking, obomber is the same as them all, programmed by the rothschilds to take syria and finally the big one IRAN! You voted for change and the change you got didn't exist because that was the plan all along. All presidents in it together and you talk about democracy?

• Like 3

http://beforeitsnews.com/obama/2013/10/obamacare-didnt-fail-its-a-huge-success-2457218.html

Obama is dangerous to the health of The United States of America. A fatal disease that will ruin the U.S if it’s not cured. A domestic enemy more dangerous than any foreign enemy. It’s high time people face these threats seriously..

cloward-piven-obama-and-democrats-bankrupting-us-by-design-b183cb.jpg

• Like 1

There always has been and probably always will be (unless mental health vastly improves) a certain minority of the population who always interpret everything that happens in the most negative and conspiratorially possible way. They are pretty miserable people too, and perhaps some of them should be watched, but for the most part the world gets along fine in spite of them.

There always has been and probably always will be (unless mental health vastly improves) a certain minority of the population who always interpret everything that happens in the most negative and conspiratorially possible way. They are pretty miserable people too, and perhaps some of them should be watched, but for the most part the world gets along fine in spite of them.

Why do you think we're miserable, we are watching the human race self destruct.

http://www.naturalnews.com/042728_geoengineering_delusional_scientists_global_destruction.html

But luckily it is only a conspiracy. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Interesting. So I assume that you also love bush? Seeing how you think Obama is the best president ever

• Like 2

You must be joking, obomber is the same as them all, programmed by the rothschilds to take syria and finally the big one IRAN! You voted for change and the change you got didn't exist because that was the plan all along. All presidents in it together and you talk about democracy?

So did the programming fail, then, or did the Illiminati make a bad choice of Puppet in someone who couldn't even convince the most hawkish Hawks to support his desire for war with Syria?

• Like 1

So did the programming fail, then, or did the Illiminati make a bad choice of Puppet in someone who couldn't even convince the most hawkish Hawks to support his desire for war with Syria?

:rolleyes:

Actually the neo cons were all for it, until we the people stood up and said Hell No! :)

• Like 1

http://www.naturalnews.com/042702_Obamacare_health_care_coverage_16_million_Americans.html

(NaturalNews) Once upon a time, not so long ago, in an attempt to sell government takeover of the nation's healthcare system, Barack Obama played the role of serial liar.

So you support serial liars do you? :whistle:

http://www.naturalne..._Americans.html

(NaturalNews) Once upon a time, not so long ago, in an attempt to sell government takeover of the nation's healthcare system, Barack Obama played the role of serial liar.

So you support serial liars do you? :whistle:

Apparently you do too.

http://kfolta.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/natural-news-lies-then-points-finger-at.html

Actually the neo cons were all for it, until we the people stood up and said Hell No! :)

So the people were listened to? Remind me again how that's a dictatorship?

exactly. the world said hell no.

• Like 3

So the people were listened to? Remind me again how that's a dictatorship?

It isnt a complet dictatorship. What this was, was a great example of how the power structure still fears the people, when we are one. Thats why they have been working so hard to dumb us down.

• Like 2

Are u serious?

• Like 2