Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK braced for severe storm and heavy rain

Commander CMG

Millions of people in England and Wales have been warned to prepare for heavy rain and hurricane-force winds on Sunday night and Monday.

Gusts of up to 80 mph (120 kph) are predicted in the South West , moving north and eastwards overnight.

There are fears about falling trees, buildings being damaged, flooding, travel disruption and power supplies.

The Met Office said 20-40mm (0.80-1.6 ins) of rain might fall within six to nine hours in the wettest areas.

It said the predicted storm - named St Jude after the patron saint of depression and lost causes, whose feast day is Monday - was not one "you would see every year".

arrow3.gifView: Read more

• Like 2

Bring it on, I love it!!

• Like 1

I find it odd that literally a year to the day that Sandy hit the east coast of the USA, this happens to the UK....

Hnnnnnnn

• Like 3

Bring it on, I love it!!

Make sure the pins are in tight in case of a Tsunami on the Kennet & Avon.We just got past a large tree when behind us a 15/20 ft branch fell across the canal on Wednesday.Reported it to Canal Trust.
  • Like 3

I've been through several such storms. You need: batteries, flashlights, non perishable foods, bottled water, a car charger for your phone...just in case the power goes off for several days. Bring in or tie down everything outside. Plan on just staying home, driving in that kind of wind/rain is not a good idea. Good luck and stay safe.

• Like 5

Yep, North West windy and sunny atm... the storm will move northerly during the night. Good luck and keep safe, especially all down south.

• Like 2

Dry and bright in Yorkshire at the moment, bit on the breezy side though....we are forecast torrential and significant rain directly over us tonight/tomorrow

• Like 1

I find it odd that literally a year to the day that Sandy hit the east coast of the USA, this happens to the UK....

Hnnnnnnn

Gosh a year to the day Simbi. :unsure2:

• Like 2

I'm driving from the West country straight down to heathrow terminal 5 at 11pm tonight.....that should be interesting!

Aren't flights being cancelled Sky? Take care on your journey.

• Like 1

I'm driving from the West country straight down to heathrow terminal 5 at 11pm tonight.....that should be interesting!

Good luck fella.

• Like 1

Aren't flights being cancelled Sky? Take care on your journey.

Not as far as I know Star, although I will keep checking. The women i'm picking up flies from Moscow, so she'll be in the air before the storm hits....whether they reroute them I don't know, and probably won't know until i'm almost there. :)

Good luck fella.

Cheers mate :tu:

• Like 3

Intermittent rain and on the dull side in Cheshire but no sign as yet of anything severe.

• Like 1

i think we'll miss it here in the North West, its nice and sunny now but with strong gusts. expecting the rain at 4am in the morning. i think the weather people have got a little over excited but then again its the southern softies who are getting the worst of it. its a good job we dont live in the USA, or Caribbean or similar places around the world were they get real storms.

edit to add link. its a link to a weather site which updates every 10 min. shows you strength of the wind.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 1

I am in an area that is meant to feel the brunt of it. I must say it feels remarkably calm, even sunny. I little bit blowy but nothing than normal this time of year. Dreading later.

• Like 2

i think we'll miss it here in the North West, its nice and sunny now but with strong gusts. expecting the rain at 4am in the morning. i think the weather people have got a little over excited but then again its the southern softies who are getting the worst of it. its a good job we dont live in the USA, or Caribbean or similar places around the world were they get real storms.

edit to add link. its a link to a weather site which updates every 10 min. shows you strength of the wind.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

I agree about the weather reporters getting overexcited I don't see why they can't just do the forecast in a neutral and impartial manner without having to be subjective all the time and assuming that everyone likes the sunny weather as opposed to the rain whereas the opposite is true with me. They very rarely get it right anyway so they shouldn't be making weather reports subjective at all in my opinion.

Edited by aimlesswalk
  • Like 1

Drive safely buddy.. Flying in from Moscow, you got your self a Russion bride.. lol

Winds picking up here although it has been blustery all day, with the odd shower.

• Like 1

Drive safely buddy.. Flying in from Moscow, you got your self a Russion bride.. lol

He can get me one if he likes lol

• Like 2

Not as far as I know Star, although I will keep checking. The women i'm picking up flies from Moscow, so she'll be in the air before the storm hits....whether they reroute them I don't know, and probably won't know until i'm almost there. :)

Cheers mate :tu:

Its blowing now up northside.Badtime fella let us know how you go
  • Like 2

We've had a few heavy showers and strong gusts of wind in Bristol but nothing major as of yet. I'm a postman and will be at work at 5 am tomorrow, that should be fun!

• Like 2

Nothing to worry about,we beat Newcastle.The rain is horizontal here a.t.m.

• Like 1

well so far in the Midlands its been a few showers and some heavy winds...but with doors and windows closed I dont hear anything. (But I do keep popping out) Im kind of hoping it will get fiercer, I love wild weather

• Like 2