Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

TV licence faces cut

Commander CMG

The BBC could face a cut in the TV licence fee or have to share it with other broadcasters unless it rebuilds public trust, a Tory minister has said.

Conservative party chairman Grant Shapps told the Sunday Telegraph the broadcaster must be "more transparent" and change its "culture of secrecy".

The current £145.50 annual fee would be "too much" without reform, he said.

A BBC spokesman said transparency and freedom from political pressure were key to the BBC's future.

arrow3.gifView: Read more

Aunty B.B.C. is prehistoric I dont watch it anymore so why should I pay the licence.

• Like 1

Well I think the BBC is a great British institution, after all more than half of all satellite programs are repeats of BBC made programmes, and the BBC made Red Dwarf, our TV would be nothing more than friggin Jeremy Kyle if it wasn't for them. I do however agree that they need to modernize and get their ship in order to survive. Seems Aunty Beeb has become somewhat dotty and could be developing Alzheimer's however...

The T.V. Licence should be scrapped,most people have satelite or cable and paying twice is ridiculous.

• Like 1

Aunty B.B.C. is prehistoric I dont watch it anymore so why should I pay the licence.

Because its important to have a part of the media that isn't owned by private individuals, and is accountable to the public.

• Like 1

I never watch the BBC,

We should be given the choice rather than thrusting it on us and then charging us for the privilege.

I have to admit, im a big fan of BBC programs especially the History and Nature documentaries they make from Empire of the Seas, to any of David Attenboroughs documentaries which in my opinion are worth the licence fee alone. but also to the small programs like 'the sky at night' which is such a program that would never be made by any other broadcaster because its not mainstream enough. it wouldnt generate revenue through advertisement, yet, i believe its the longest running program on the BBC. But we also have to remember the licence fee also pays for all of the BBC's radio channels both national and local. i think the BBC gives great value for money.

The BBC seems to have lost its way in recent years trying to take on the likes of ITV in a ratings war. when infact the BBC doesn't need to. they just need to keep making good educational programs and family friendly television. also to add another wrong move by the BBC was to pay massive wages for 'celebrities'.

I have to admit in our house ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 never get a look in, yet BBC NEWS, BBC one BBC two, Discovery Channel, NatGeo, History and Sky sports are the main channels of interest.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 1