Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Four Teens Arrested for Death of WW2 Vet

Kowalski

Four Mississippi teenagers have been charged with murder in the killing of a beloved World War II veteran who gained local fame for his home-cooked hot tamales.

The long and lustrous life of Lawrence “Shine” Thornton, 87, was celebrated last week during a ceremony at St. Joseph Catholic Church. Following the ceremony, Thornton was buried with military honors at Greenlawn Memorial Gardens.

Thornton died Oct. 20, succumbing to the injuries he sustained after four teenagers "pushed him down and stole his wallet," during an apparent mugging that occurred in the late-afternoon two days earlier in the driveway of his long-time Greenville home.

Link: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/27/four-teens-arrested-in-murder-world-war-ii-veteran/

Very sad....:(

• Like 2

They've be told "don't be naughty, don't do it again" and get a slap on the wrist, mark my words.

• Like 1

It makes me feel sick to think of anybody doing this to anyone, Let alone a ww2 vet. Someone took a knife to me and tried to mug me a couple of weeks ago but someone scared them off, They could have had my bag, I didn't care, I never carry cash but i still feel shook up now. Who knows what that poor man went through and what his last thoughts were about, eh?

Edited by SheWomanCatTypeThing
  • Like 4

I despise teenagers that do these sorts of things... they're so cruel.

I despise when they use the term 'teenagers' to describe legal adults.

The youngest was 18. Thats a teen in semantics only.

When this old vet was 18, he was off to serve his country, these little thugs prey on the weak to feed their incompetence at being part of a society.

Disgusting little animals.

• Like 9

I agree, that act is repulsive.

Sure, the kids may not have known he was a Vet, but I doubt that would have mattered at all if they did.

To go through one's life like he did, only to be mugged and killed in his older years is just tragic.

• Like 2

First "Shorty" and now "Shine"...

Despicable.

• Like 2

First "Shorty" and now "Shine"...

Despicable.

Yes, there was that World War 2 Vet a few months ago named "Shorty" who was killed in a similar instance by two teens....Tragic... :no:

• Like 1

It frightens me, I know if my son (12) did something like this I would be devestated I would hope that he never does anything like this and if he did, I would have to seriously question my style of parenting, The friends I let him keep etc.

• Like 2

It frightens me, I know if my son (12) did something like this I would be devestated I would hope that he never does anything like this and if he did, I would have to seriously question my style of parenting, The friends I let him keep etc.

Unfortunately, some people have kids and don't care about them, what so ever.....For them, the more kids they have, it's just more money from the government for them.

• Like 3

It makes me feel sick to think of anybody doing this to anyone, Let alone a ww2 vet. Someone took a knife to me and tried to mug me a couple of weeks ago but someone scared them off, They could have had my bag, I didn't care, I never carry cash but i still feel shook up now. Who knows what that poor man went through and what his last thoughts were about, eh?

This happened to me too at one of the local parks a couple of years back. It was around 9pm and I was stretching close to the shadows about to take off running when I suddenly saw two pairs of feet appear in front of me. I looked up and asked them if I could help them with something, as they were a little too close for comfort. They demanded I hand over my phone, wallet and keys. At first I thought it was somekind of joke and then it turned serious and I refused. I thought, "Maybe I can punch the smaller one in the face and then run off and call the cops or something?" My reasoning was that I needed to take one down so that I might have a fighting chance against one of them, literally. Then I saw the smaller guy with his hands in his pockets as if concealing a weapon, so I thought, "Great...they have a knife or a gun." Just as I had snatched my phone back from them and about to go ahead with my plan of action, two older (not elderly) ladies were passing by and they slowed down enough to notice something wasn't right. The guys got scared and ran off. I was pretty lucky and then I worried about the girls I've seen by themselves so late.

I filed a police report and the area is now patrolled daily which is good. Not sure if they ever nabbed the would be assailants, but I'm glad the authorities enforce the park nowadays.

I suggest you carry mace or a taser. Crooks deserve to get tased! Seriously, I have little sympathy for these crazies.

RIP WW2 Vet. Peace be with him.

Edited by Ever After
  • Like 2

Sick little b*******, these stories make me sick, what has the world come to where the people who fought for all our freedoms, are murdered. I think the schools need to illustrate better the sacrifices made by these brave people and teach them some respect, something lacking in the educational system over here in the UK as well, and some better standards of parenting wouldn't go amiss....

RIP sir, thank you for all you did, peace be upon you.

• Like 1

I agree. The term teenagers implies13-17 year olds these days. If they are all over 18, calling them adults would be the better description. At least they will be tried as adults.

• Like 1

We've had to homicides here in Syracuse, NY alone from teens beating seniors to death on a random whim.

They are calling it the 'knockout game' which is just the press's way of not calling it what it really is 'Polar Bear Hunting'. Google it, it will make you sick. Reverse that game and there would be rioting like all hell broke loose.

These little thugs travel in packs preying on the elderly, it's completely disgusting.

• Like 2

We've had to homicides here in Syracuse, NY alone from teens beating seniors to death on a random whim.

They are calling it the 'knockout game' which is just the press's way of not calling it what it really is 'Polar Bear Hunting'. Google it, it will make you sick. Reverse that game and there would be rioting like all hell broke loose.

These little thugs travel in packs preying on the elderly, it's completely disgusting.

You'll notice in the news they've stopped mentioning the color of the aggressors. Now instead of "4 black teens beat homeless man to death", it's just "4 teens". As soon as you start to read between the lines, however, it's pretty obvious what's going on.

• Like 7

You'll notice in the news they've stopped mentioning the color of the aggressors. Now instead of "4 black teens beat homeless man to death", it's just "4 teens". As soon as you start to read between the lines, however, it's pretty obvious what's going on.

Of course.

• Like 2

Of course.

I've only really noticed it happening since the Zimmerman/Martin case. Obviously there have been numerous black on white crimes since then but I guess race isn't a factor anymore so why mention it, right?

• Like 2

I've only really noticed it happening since the Zimmerman/Martin case. Obviously there have been numerous black on white crimes since then but I guess race isn't a factor anymore so why mention it, right?

I've been noticing that as well. :unsure2:

• Like 1

I disagree, race is a factor, only its reversed. I believe if the headline had been "4 white teenagers mug and kill black WW2 vet"all hell would have broke lose.

• Like 4

I disagree, race is a factor, only its reversed. I believe if the headline had been "4 white teenagers mug and kill black WW2 vet"all hell would have broke lose.

You betcha your a** it would have!

*Edit to add: I'd still be just as upset about it though. Just the public outcry would be a lot more on CNN....

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 2

The Race-War will not be televised.

• Like 2

The Race-War will not be televised.

Quote of the year right there.

• Like 1

They've be told "don't be naughty, don't do it again" and get a slap on the wrist, mark my words.

I would be VERY surprised if that happens Sir... I've lived in Mississippi and I can tell you they respect the old ways and honor vets. I'd hate to be in these guys shoes. A group of white teens from a town very close to where I resided killed a black man - just for being black - and at least one of them is on death row at Parchman penitentiary now. Mississippians are straight up level headed about such crime.
  • Like 4

I would be VERY surprised if that happens Sir... I've lived in Mississippi and I can tell you they respect the old ways and honor vets. I'd hate to be in these guys shoes. A group of white teens from a town very close to where I resided killed a black man - just for being black - and at least one of them is on death row at Parchman penitentiary now. Mississippians are straight up level headed about such crime.

And then Jesse Jackson will get on telly, and start sprouting off about "racial inequality" and "the poor lives cut short by a single act of violence" and make Mississippi look like backwards hicks in front of the sheeple of the nation, Obama will get up and talk about how they could have been him if it wasn't for X and the supreme court will step in and give them lesser sentences.

• Like 3

Oxygen Thieves... Tar and feather them and then string them up.

• Like 1