Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How ghosts can exist - scientific overview

francis da don

Most interesting. It's pretty obvious that if there's ghosts, they are out of the perceptive range of many of us. And as the eyesight of people differs, some can't differentiate green from red, it's a perfectly natural possibility that some might have sight for the ghost vibrations. Or hearing. Sad mine's been weakening, bloody loud noise job.

• Like 3

That didn't explain anything about ghosts' existence at all!!

'Can' exist isn't saying anything at all, because with their explanation of what our 5 senses possibly can't sense, they are only saying that anything can exist and we couldn't sense it. Use your imagination of anything you could possibly think of, and it "can exist" according to the facts of the article. But.. so what! Go into a room you've never been to before with the lights off, and try to think of what's in the room with you. Say you're thinking a potted fern is in there with you. All that this article is saying is that it 'can' be there! But does that have any weighing factor to whether it is or not? No! The room is a metaphor for reality, and the fern is ghosts.

This article is implying that people are saying it's not scientifically possible for ghosts to possibly exist, which I don't think anyone has ever said. It's answering a question no one has asked.

I don't need a "weak" to digest this concept! :blush:

Edited by _Only
  • Like 3

The article is confided to the 3d physical realm and 5 physical senses where 1 + 1 =2 hooray.

It's a safe article because it is not exploring beyond these parameters. But safe does not make it truth. Many of course sense and project beyond the 3d physical level and 5 senses,and that is where the problem lies because there is more going on in these other tiers of consciousness, than boring old 3d :santa:

• Like 2

From the OP...

Needless to say our skin’s range of vibrations is limited and for the same reasons we are only touching an infinitely small portion of what there IS to TOUCH including GHOSTS! And again for the same reason THEY CAN EXIST under this scientific model! (Learn more about the human skin mechanism).

Lame. Sure there is a near infinite set of temperatures that can exist. But most of them would KILL a human really quick, so we don't bother to sense those to any great degree. We don't sense ghosts by touch, because we've no need to.

Same goes for the "vibrations" associated with seeing. We don't see ghosts because we don't need to. If they exist, they can't affect us, and so we don't need to see them.

Unless we're going to talk Religion or Magic, in which case, there are ways to sense them.

This whole article kind of reads like someone on a Trip. "Whoa, man!! I just thought of something.... VIBRATIONS, MAN! Vibrations and ghosts totally go together.... ha, ha, ha, ha, ha... giggle, giggle... Burp! I got to write this down now, man...."

• Like 3

For a blog implying how science works, it failed to accurately explain how the senses of taste and smell actually work. While sight and hearing are indeed frequency dependent and there are frequencies that can exist outside the normal human capacity to see or hear, taste and smell do not work in the same manner.

The senses of taste and smell operate by chemical receptors, and when an odorant molecule binds to a receptor, it sends an nerve impulse to the brain. The molecules do not have a frequency.

• Like 3

An amazing elaborative explanation on the existance of ghosts through a scientific perspective, a MUST READ!

Here is the link http://howscience.wordpress.com/

It really explains nothing and it's strange how the author and yourself make the same spelling error: 'existance'...

• Like 5

I think they're trying to put science behind something they're not even sure exists.

They need to remember when making an argument that just because something CAN exist, doesn't necessarily mean it does. Johnny Depp CAN be in love with me...but sadly, he's not. Get what I'm saying?

This world is filled with endless possibilities; some more rare than others. I don't think we'll ever be able to prove for sure one way or the other whether or not spirits, ghosts, demons, angels etc. exist. Look how long we've been trying and look how little we've come up with so far.

• Like 1

Humans have senses, therefore ghosts. Well I'm convinced.

• Like 1

Vietnamese have a problem reconciling the widespread belief in ghosts with the Buddhist teaching that we reincarnate very soon after death. The usual approach is to say that those who become ghosts do so because they "died before their time," (although what that might mean leads to ideas that are not generally held here).

I would think those who believe in Heaven and Hell would have a similar problem. The ghosts are perceived as "stuck" hereabouts for some reason (unfinished business), but sheesh, surely we all have unfinished business when we die. In other words, the idea of ghosts just doesn't fit with other religious ideas, and of course if one is an atheist, then I presume that means no ghosts (rather frightening scenario otherwise).

• Like 1

The most interesting possible explanation of ghosts' existence that I've ever heard was the idea of moments in time held with deep emotion or memory being stuck in repeat, playing at the spot where they occurred, able to be witnessed under proper conditions. The part where this idea gets even more provocative is when you hear stories of people in far earlier times than the 1940's, seeming to recount seeing an aerial dogfight occur in the air above their heads, and vanish just as quickly as it arrived. This story, involving 'flying crosses shooting balls of light', was reported to be witnessed in Germany by a mass of people, being published in a newspaper long, long before airplanes existed. This could be interpreted hypothetically as people witnessing an event with deep emotion and/or memory, before it ever happened. This also leads to the wonder that time might not be as linear as we have learned to perceive it to be.

This is far from an explanation, but it is as good as it gets at this point. What if's are fun.

Edited by _Only
  • Like 1

If we were to substitute the words "Sentient Perfleegles" for the word "ghost(s)" in this "sigh-entific" article, then would that prove that "Sentient Perfleegles" do, also, indeed, exist?

• Like 1

The most interesting possible explanation of ghosts' existence that I've ever heard was the idea of moments in time held with deep emotion or memory being stuck in repeat, playing at the spot where they occurred, able to be witnessed under proper conditions.

Firstly, whats powering ghosts? Secondly, what is the evolutionary benefit of them existing? Lastly, why are all ghosts Victorian, and why don't we get any caveman ghosts?

• Like 2

An amazing elaborative explanation on the existance of ghosts through a scientific perspective, a MUST READ!

While others have noted the issue with the article associating chemical senses to 'frequency', it also makes a mistake with its description of skin being able to 'sense'. Skin cannot sense anything - it is not a sensory organ. Our tactile sense (and sense of pain) comes from the nerve receptors which are present throughout our body - including the skin.

Additionally, nothing in the article is 'scientific' in its premise. 'Scientific' presumes an adherence to the scientific method of investigation, which involves developing a hypothesis regarding an observation, then testing that hypothesis in an attempt to invalidate it. Nothing in that article suggests any adherence to this method. It is an idea, but not a [scientific] hypothesis because no observations have been made.

• Like 2

Philosopher H.H Price advocated that ghosts and hauntings could be explained by memories being lost from an individuals mind and then attaching themselves to a specific environment which could be perceived by others as hallucinations. So ghosts could be some mental echo of a person connected to certain localities which can sometimes be perceived briefly by others.

Another similar hypothesis is the Stone Tape theory:

It speculates that inanimate materials can absorb some form of energy from living beings; the hypothesis speculates that this "recording" happens especially during moments of high tension, such as murder, or during intense moments of someone's life. This stored energy can be released, resulting in a display of the recorded activity. According to this hypothesis, ghosts are not spirits but simply non-interactive recordings similar to a movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Tape

Edited by aimlesswalk
  • Like 2

Okay explain scientifically, why there aren't any black ghosts.

:D

• Like 3

Firstly, whats powering ghosts? Secondly, what is the evolutionary benefit of them existing? Lastly, why are all ghosts Victorian, and why don't we get any caveman ghosts?

1. I wouldn't know that type of thing. I just said part of someone's idea was interesting. If I was to give a passing guess, I would say emotion powers an event sticking around in time. Ghost is also a loose term for this situation.

2. Again, you're interviewing the messenger, but I'll respond for conversation sake.

I don't know.

What is the evolutionary benefit for loving music? For a beautiful art piece making you cry? These are also events tied to emotion and memory, so I would guess that if you could explain those, you could explain this better.

3. They're not. The romantic stories of seeing Victorian ghosts are the most recounted, and likely most fabricated, but all other kinds exist, too. Cavemen, average joes from the '70's, even the witnesses own self.

This is the 'lecture' where I heard the idea, at a paranormal conference on the USS Hornet:

While I seem to like what if's, I'm getting the vibe that you seem to like trying to find ways for what if's to not be possible. Just my passing observation.

Edited by _Only

Reads like someone took their intro to anatomy class and decided they were capable of writing the next great breakthrough in science.

Well if it's true what they say about energy not being able to be destroyed, and if humans do possess a measurable energy field, then ghosts can exist. Trauma doctors can revive some patients and another with the same symptoms and problems on a lesser scale will die no matter what is done. The old saying "don't give up the ghost!" means convincing the patient's spirit to stick around and revive the body. Some choose to and some have had enough and just move on. Or the body is so badly mangled or diseased that the cohesive energy form no longer can or wants to occupy it.

Okay explain scientifically, why there aren't any black ghosts.

:D

There probably are, but most photos are taken in the dark.

Actually, there are more likely to be as many black ghosts as there are white, Chinese and Indian, which is ......zero.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

Well if it's true what they say about energy not being able to be destroyed, and if humans do possess a measurable energy field, then ghosts can exist. Trauma doctors can revive some patients and another with the same symptoms and problems on a lesser scale will die no matter what is done. The old saying "don't give up the ghost!" means convincing the patient's spirit to stick around and revive the body. Some choose to and some have had enough and just move on. Or the body is so badly mangled or diseased that the cohesive energy form no longer can or wants to occupy it.

You seem to think energy is something it's not.
  • Like 1

You seem to think energy is something it's not.

I would say that it is reasonable to assert that whatever our "mind" or life spirit may be if it isn't just "brain," it is not electromagnetic or any other known form of energy.

1. I wouldn't know that type of thing. I just said part of someone's idea was interesting. If I was to give a passing guess, I would say emotion powers an event sticking around in time. Ghost is also a loose term for this situation.

Emotion can't power anything. Otherwise I'd be able to drive to work fueled on anger alone.

2. Again, you're interviewing the messenger, but I'll respond for conversation sake.

I don't know.

What is the evolutionary benefit for loving music? For a beautiful art piece making you cry? These are also events tied to emotion and memory, so I would guess that if you could explain those, you could explain this better.

The concept of ghosts existing is not the same as loving music.

For something like the afterlife, ghosts, etc to exist, there would need to be a reason in nature for these things to evolve. Thats how it works. And I don't want any of this "its supernatural" guff. Thats just special pleading.

3. They're not. The romantic stories of seeing Victorian ghosts are the most recounted, and likely most fabricated, but all other kinds exist, too. Cavemen, average joes from the '70's, even the witnesses own self.

I've never heard of ghost cavemen. And we have ghost dogs, but no dinosaurs. Which is odd.

At the end of the day, most sightings are of Victorian people. They just are. And why is this? Because most ghost stories originate from Victorian times, when the public became obsessed with the supernatural.

While I seem to like what if's, I'm getting the vibe that you seem to like trying to find ways for what if's to not be possible. Just my passing observation.

I don't see the point in "what ifs", especially in a thread about the scientific basis for ghosts.

Well if it's true what they say about energy not being able to be destroyed, and if humans do possess a measurable energy field, then ghosts can exist.

Thats not what energy is.

Trauma doctors can revive some patients and another with the same symptoms and problems on a lesser scale will die no matter what is done. The old saying "don't give up the ghost!" means convincing the patient's spirit to stick around and revive the body. Some choose to and some have had enough and just move on. Or the body is so badly mangled or diseased that the cohesive energy form no longer can or wants to occupy it.

Just plain twaddle.