Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Monster Project

Q-C

Anyone catch this new series on NatGeoWild? The host is Judah Friedlander, actor/comedian from 30 Rock.

This episode’s goal was to answer Is the Jersey Devil a real creature or a cautionary tale?

No mention was made of the very plausible earthly political birth of the story http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4282 (thanks to member Rafterman), but I could have missed it. It didn't keep my attention at all.

Imo:

I watched the Jersey Devil episode. Unfortunately Friedlander’s humor was not humorous and the southern New Jersey paranormal team’s nighttime drama was not suspenseful. Can you imagine entering the woods and hearing noises? And even possibly seeing something in the dark?

Just another weak show rehashing other weak shows. I can see its appeal for Halloween (to a young crowd) and I guess all these shows appease, for some, the mysterious/fear/monster factor many of us crave.

But where are the innovators? Or, at least charismatic and funny hosts. I could probably enjoy watching a show with Josh Gates collecting seashells. These other shows are just dull with even “duller” hosts.

The local paranormal museum curator stated that within the last 5-6 years the popularity of the Jersey Devil has exploded. People are looking at their world in a different way and saying all of these things they were told were impossible, while they may not be probable, they are certainly within the realm of possibility.

The realm of possibility? The Jersey Devil according to one version, began as the 13 child of a possible witch that at birth had glowing red eyes, the head of a horse and slit the throat of the midwife with a swipe of its claws.

Did the show answer the question? Do you have to ask?

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 2

Another show, huh? Not surprising when you consider that there are so many shows on TV now that are having to work hard to get ratings in order to sell air time to advertisers. Who would have guessed that "Finding Bigfoot" would have been the hit that it was the first three seasons. Even though it's ratings are down now they still are the number one watched show on Animal Planet.

• Like 3

Another show, huh? Not surprising when you consider that there are so many shows on TV now that are having to work hard to get ratings in order to sell air time to advertisers. Who would have guessed that "Finding Bigfoot" would have been the hit that it was the first three seasons. Even though it's ratings are down now they still are the number one watched show on Animal Planet.

I agree. And I knew my OP wouldn't be anything surprising. But even as a skeptic I at least peruse this stuff and I'm just wishing for something more original, intelligent and with intentional humor.

Finding Bigfoot's NEW :w00t: season begins in November. I think they used to begin in February, but I could be mistaken.

Yeah, I can't help myself. I'll watch it if for no other reason than to hear what interesting "facts" they toss out.

I just heard one the other day where a guy said that Bigfoots traveled largely in "pods" or family groups. He made it sound like this was something we all know......which made me wonder why there weren't more multiple creature sighting if that was the case?

• Like 1

I saw some of the Champ episode last night. It was bad. Very bad, I don't think Natgeo Wild has high hopes for the show. They premiered all 3 episodes at one time last night. I doubt we'll see more.

• Like 1

Yeah, I can't help myself. I'll watch it if for no other reason than to hear what interesting "facts" they toss out.

I just heard one the other day where a guy said that Bigfoots traveled largely in "pods" or family groups. He made it sound like this was something we all know......which made me wonder why there weren't more multiple creature sighting if that was the case?

Yes, Meldrum just spoke about this in relation to Patty. That one theory to her "out in the open" blase walk is she was "luring" Patterson and Gimlin away from her children who were in the area.

Because three sets of tracks found earlier by P&G 1 set was Patty-sized and there were two smaller-sized sets of prints along with hers.

If you want to hear him it begins at 1:02:30 in OP of the Joe Rogan Podcast with Jeff Meldrum broadcast thread.

Edited by QuiteContrary

They never answer any questions in these 'Paranormal hunters' shows. They ask a question, "hey does this exist?" Then they go out, get extremely weak evidence, but drag it out to have at least an hour of television footage, then at the end say, "Well it could exist but we don't really know." So you basically end up at the same spot you were in at the beginning.

They need a show that actually finds good proof and puts in lots of research, and actually gives us an answer.

• Like 3

The show doesn't sound great, but I'm a sucker for pretty much any type of cryptid programming. They're my Keeping Up with the Kardashians. NatGeoWild had another short-run cryptic series called Beast Hunter that I actually enjoyed.

• Like 1

I watched the Jersey Devil episode last night. Yeah, it was not good. The host tries to be funny, but wasn't, the investigations? Hmm, a few people wandering around in the woods at night hearing noises. Where have I seen that before? Oh yeah, on every other freakin show on earth. I agree, Destination Truth ran for so long because it was entertaining. Who cares if they didn't find anything, Gates was funny, as well as the rest of the crew. If these shows are all about entertainment, as we so often hear around here then they should at least be, well, I don't know maybe entertaining.

Mike

• Like 2

I heard that as well, that they travel in groups of 3-5 at any given time. This will be the first ever I have heard of this "fact."

I do have to say I am thrilled that Finding Bigfoot is coming back on. M. Moneymaker does make me smile with all the "facts" he has about the brutes. If anything I will be sleeping really well the nights it does come on :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy these types of shows IF they're entertaining - I agree about Josh Gates, love his shows, always funny.

Hopefully these things have about run their course.

I MISS JOSH! :cry:

I wish Ranae Holland was funnier. She is still a good skeptic, but she needs to lighten up and makes us laugh! :su

The show is a joke in need of an entertaining joker! She could really run over the guys if she wanted.

I heard that as well, that they travel in groups of 3-5 at any given time. This will be the first ever I have heard of this "fact."

I do have to say I am thrilled that Finding Bigfoot is coming back on. M. Moneymaker does make me smile with all the "facts" he has about the brutes. If anything I will be sleeping really well the nights it does come on :clap:

Honestly, it's the way he delivers the little tid-bit, like he's passing out a doggie treat to his pet doxie or something, "It's a well established fact that Bigfoots.........." fill in whatever outrageous thing you'd like after that lead in. Well, established.....by who? And while I'm no expert, I have never heard hardly any of these "well established facts" anywhere else. I swear I think he made it up while the camera was running or something. "It's a well established fact that if females hang there undies out on a clothesline that Bigfoots will come and sniff them." I'll come sniff them, but no one has ever called me a Bigfoot.

.....I'm sorry, what were we talking about? Lingerie alway distracts me for some reason........and that is a well established fact.

What? :blush:

Honestly, it's the way he delivers the little tid-bit, like he's passing out a doggie treat to his pet doxie or something, "It's a well established fact that Bigfoots.........." fill in whatever outrageous thing you'd like after that lead in. Well, established.....by who? And while I'm no expert, I have never heard hardly any of these "well established facts" anywhere else. I swear I think he made it up while the camera was running or something. "It's a well established fact that if females hang there undies out on a clothesline that Bigfoots will come and sniff them." I'll come sniff them, but no one has ever called me a Bigfoot.

.....I'm sorry, what were we talking about? Lingerie alway distracts me for some reason........and that is a well established fact.

What? :blush:

hahaha, I think any man should enjoy lingerie - I do think he pulls as much **** as possible out of his ass as quickly as possible when the cameras are on. But again, (even with your sniffing) who am I to say what Bigfeet do/don't do. It's pure entertainment to see what people will put themselves through to; 1) be on camera and 2) to get footage of a bigfeet. Especially that team... :yes: - That is MY fact!