Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

April Tinsley

CuriousLittleOne

Investigators have reason to believe that the same person who wrote a message on a barn door in 1990 claiming responsibility for the murder of 8-year-old April Marie Tinsley also left multiple notes at different residences in the Fort Wayne area in 2004. April was abducted on Good Friday in 1988 as she walked from a friend’s house. Her body was discovered in DeKalb County three days later.

april.jpg

http://www.fwpd.org/april/press.htm

http://www.amw.com/f...se.cfm?id=64668

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2009/april/tinsley_040309

Edited by CuriousLittleOne

This little girl's face had bothered me ever since Curious posted it. I know nothing about this except that the Ft. Wayne is very much a farming area and community not really heavily populated. I follow unsolved crimes like this and yet I knew nothing about. Missed America's Most Wanted I'm sure.... but am I the only one that missed it ? Thank God at least they did have it on.

How is it we have 80 to 90 pages now on Ray Gricar's disappearance, Skakel, over 8 pages recently on Jon Benet, and a new forum on Maddy McCann............and not one of us had a thing to say about this little girl ? Nothing against any of those forums. A sad statement against us as a people.

Each one of us would like to say that we are not lead by the press and how many of us are not ? One of the cold cases forums I was on recently talked about the fact that Eisenhower had been asked to be updated on a child kidnapping, we would consider just average today.

This is a sad testimony to all of us here as we look up testimony and rehash the cases in the news. What happened to this little girl ?? She's beautiful. Where is her killer ??? Looks as if he didn't go far.

I'm going to look back. I hope some of you do also 'cuz I'm going to keep bringing it up.

Edited by Vincennes
  • Like 1

fort wayne is the second largest city in indiana. there is a lot of farming in indiana, though, vincennes. america's most wanted did have a story on april tinsley.

fort wayne is the second largest city in indiana. there is a lot of farming in indiana, though, vincennes. america's most wanted did have a story on april tinsley.

I'm sorry, if you read my post I did credit America's Most Wanted. Do you know Indiana? Do you know Ft Wayne area? What do you know about this crime? Should it be done with AMW ? No news.... no books? Nothing.... Right ? NO !

What a beautiful child! It is so sad when cases go unsolved for decades.

Not much of a description of the killer, but it says there are some polaroid pictures of the killer's body.

I wondered why they didn't show the photos as well, until, duh!! I realized they are likely nude photos.

Since it states they have his DNA, guess it's unlikely he's been arrested for something else. Don't they require a DNA sample now with arrest? I wonder if everyone arrested back in 2004 was required to submit a DNA sample.

Looking at the map, it appears that he was in that area for quite some time, but why did it stop in 2004?

I can't imagine why the guy would have left so many notes in 2004 and then just simply stopped. Something had to have occurred that forced him to stop but what???

It's obvious by his writing that he isn't overly intelligent. There's always the chance he's just faking being unintelligent as a cover, almost reads like a kid wrote it.

The fact that he remained in the area for so long leads me to believe he wasn't likely one who moved around much, such as taking off for another state to commit more crimes soon after having committed one in a certain area, so I'd guess he could very well still be local even 9 years later.

Going to look for more article re: this case.

JMO

• Like 1

LW, thank you, for just caring !

What struck me is you could draw a circle around the manifestations of this case. My thoughts were the same as yours, highly illiterate, druggy or faking it....

I know you will look ~~~~~~

Sadly, it has been discounted or not followed for so many years... Are we just that ?

Edited by Vincennes
  • Like 1

I've been researching this case and I came across a facebook page outlining the case history and according to that info., it seems to me that they might very well have had the perp in custody!

I don't know how accurate any of the info. is, but it's stated that there was no DNA collected from the body. If that's correct, then I don't know what DNA authorities are relying on because I don't know of any they should rely on.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/april-tinsley-timeline/329286270472450

• Like 2

I've been researching this case and I came across a facebook page outlining the case history and according to that info., it seems to me that they might very well have had the perp in custody!

I don't know how accurate any of the info. is, but it's stated that there was no DNA collected from the body. If that's correct, then I don't know what DNA authorities are relying on because I don't know of any they should rely on.

http://www.facebook....329286270472450

According to the FBI site, used condoms in baggies were left with some of the notes. I was thinking this was the possible source of the DNA.

And as team members discovered, there is enough evidence—including notes, pictures, and DNA left by the killer years after the murder—to make investigators hopeful they can break the case.

Then, in the spring of 2004, four notes appeared at various residences in the Fort Wayne area—several placed on bicycles that young girls had left in their yards—believed to be written by the killer. The notes, all on lined yellow paper, were placed inside baggies along with used condoms or Polaroid pictures of the killer’s body. Several of the notes referred to April Tinsley.

JMO

http://www.facebook....329286270472450

Thanks for the link...........it specifically points out what I already had picked up on re: perp(s) which is why I thought checking the arrest records around 2004 as holding possibility............someone who is not likely to move far from 'home'.

It says the perpetrators in both cases probably were sex offenders with sexual dysfunction and minimal social skills, who had problems in their personal lives that caused great stress that led to the killings.

I am curious as to whether the condoms in the baggies were all the same brand and if the DNA is all matched. (sorry-----it's a gross subject, but trying to get somewhat of a profile of how this person's mind worked.) I don't recall ever having read of a case whereby the perp left such notes with other gross items.

While they may have had some idea of who it could be, I don't see anything in the evidence that shows any of the five taken in were proven to be the actual perp.

JMO

According to the FBI site, used condoms in baggies were left with some of the notes. I was thinking this was the possible source of the DNA.

Yeah, it appears that that's the source, but I wouldn't assume it's the killers DNA. A match would only reveal who was responsible for the notes.

In other words, I wouldn't rule out a suspect based on those results alone.

Thanks for the link..........

:tu:

I am curious as to whether the condoms in the baggies were all the same brand and if the DNA is all matched.

I was under the impression that there was only one condom, but if there was more than one, then I'd assume there was one profile.

Edited by regi

While they may have had some idea of who it could be, I don't see anything in the evidence that shows any of the five taken in were proven to be the actual perp.

I think the 34 year old is a good suspect. (I'm not impressed that he passed two poly's.)

regi , the dna was collected from the little girl from a condom that was with one of the yellow baggie notes. thank you everyne for getting behind this case ,this poor irl deserves closure

• Like 2

I'm just posting this link because it has a video clip of April's family spokesperson.

http://storify.com/C...e/april-tinsley

IIRC it sounds as if they were able to get some DNA at least from the crime scene, if not her body, but they were not able to obtain a full profile from it.

It does sound as if they received a lot of leads from the AMW segment. I do hope they have some good ones and are still following up on them.

I'm also adding this one because I thought it had such clear pictures of the notes and the maps of the area.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-122-s&va=april+tinsley+case

I know you are all gasping at my talented searching abilities :no: here but I thought it might just be convenient if someone wants to refer back to those things.

Edited by Vincennes

I believe the second link is a different Amy Sadly, we have that many missing children, the names get confused. We are looking for April Tinsley. I understand there is, however, a current book on the crime.

James Renner, who wrote about Amy M.'s disappearance, is also interested in and following April Tinsley's disappearance. No confusion. Renner also wrote a substantial piece on Ray Gricar, which is how he first came to my attention. He's not always accurate, but he'll pursue a case doggedly. Renner's interest in April's disappearance is a goos thing in the long run.

Note that he responded to the blog LW posted asking if Amy and April's disappearance could be **connected.***

• Like 1

James Renner, who wrote about Amy M.'s disappearance, is also interested in and following April Tinsley's disappearance. No confusion. Renner also wrote a substantial piece on Ray Gricar, which is how he first came to my attention. He's not always accurate, but he'll pursue a case doggedly. Renner's interest in April's disappearance is a goos thing in the long run.

Note that he responded to the blog LW posted asking if Amy and April's disappearance could be **connected.***

I have been trolling and seeing what else I could find. What I have found is horrifying in the fact there was at least one other little girl taken from Ft. Wayne in that time period that I can't find any record of ever being found. She is Julia Dinea Edmuson....and there was also a Nyla Danajeo Hart, age 4. Missing from Ft. Wayne in this period. I can find nothing regarding either of their recoveries... I'm thinking perhaps looking to the Cleveland suburbs is too far away....

LW ????

Edited by Vincennes

I have been trolling and seeing what else I could find. What I have found is horrifying in the fact there was at least one other little girl taken from Ft. Wayne in that time period that I can't find any record of ever being found. She is Julia Dinea Edmuson....and there was also a Nyla Danajeo Hart, age 4. Missing from Ft. Wayne in this period. I can find nothing regarding either of their recoveries... I'm thinking perhaps looking to the Cleveland suburbs is too far away....

LW ????

I'll see what else I can come with under the other two missing girls names.

I am LW-----logic works, former name.

JMO

LW ????

I couldn't find any information under either name, so you're doing better job of sleuthing than I am!

I did find a couple articles of interest while sleuthing. It appears that for at least a period of time, they may have thought April's killer had died----------

http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/savethechildren/COD2.htm

In then attempting to find out whether the case was being investigated before the 2004 notes started to appear, I came across this article which explains many of the questions I wondered about, especially the DNA questions.

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20120821/LOCAL/308219978

JMO

• Like 1

In then attempting to find out whether the case was being investigated before the 2004 notes started to appear, I came across this article which explains many of the questions I wondered about, especially the DNA questions.

http://www.journalga...LOCAL/308219978

I'd read before that no DNA was recovered from the body- that that stalled the investigation in '88- and this article reports that the condom DNA matches DNA "found with Tinsley's body". :hmm:

I'd read before that no DNA was recovered from the body- that that stalled the investigation in '88- and this article reports that the condom DNA matches DNA "found with Tinsley's body". :hmm:

Yes, that is what I picked up on immediately when reading the article, that there is a match between the condom DNA and the body.

• Like 1

Yes, that is what I picked up on immediately when reading the article, that there is a match between the condom DNA and the body.

It's hard to imagine that there would be no DNA on the body, especially, if the perp was low functioning IQ (I do not mean that to be disrespectful) But in a couple of case like this one, I flip back in my mind that DNA was really not an advanced technology back then. A killer might have thought about finger prints but other than that, I can't see it.

Although, the other thing I wondered about was that I did read reports that there were other condoms left with the bicycle notes. With the press sometimes not being all that accurate, I'm going to give them here the fact that in this case, that there might have been a point of confusion regarding did the DNA match other condoms or even on the writing implement they reported finding or her body. Could have just been a little mix up in the reporting ?

One of the links posted also talked about a little girl, LaKia, who was also found murdered and they later found a man who confessed to that killing. IIRC they thought these abductions might have been done by the same person. Since they did get a confession, does that mean that his DNA did not match even the condoms ??

• Like 1

Well, what I'd picked up on was inconsistent info. because one source had stated no DNA (context was 'for comparison w/suspects'), and this other article stated DNA from the scene. :unsure2:

One of the links posted also talked about a little girl, LaKia, who was also found murdered and they later found a man who confessed to that killing.

That guy was 20 in 1997, so in '88, he would have been about 11.

(That site with the white on black is hard on the eyes! :td: )

Edited by regi