Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Five Days of Flares and CMEs

Waspie_Dwarf

NASA | Five Days of Flares and CMEs

This movie shows 23 of the 26 M- and X-class flares on the sun between 1800 UT Oct. 23 and 1500 UT Oct. 28, 2013, as captured by NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory. It also shows the coronal mass ejections -- great clouds of solar material bursting off the sun into space -- during that time as captured by the ESA/NASA Solar and Heliospheric Observatory. Music: "Stella Nova" by Lars Leonhard, courtesy of the artist and Ultimae records. www.lars-leonhard.de / www.ultimae.com

Credit: NASA

Source: NASA - Multimedia

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• AlienDan

• LimeGelatin

• highdesert50

NASA SDO & NASA/ESA SOHO - Lots Of Activity

There is lots of activity going on in this view of our Sun from October 25 to October 28, 2013.

Here we are showing the view from two different instruments on two different spacecrafts. The view of the Sun is taken by my AIA instrument in the 304 wavelength. The outside is from the NASA/ESA SOHO mission and their LASCO C2 instrument. The LASCO instrument is a corongraph.

A coronagraph is a telescope that is designed to block light coming from the solar disk, in order to see the extremely faint emission from the region around the Sun, called the corona.

Credit: NASA SDO & NASA/ESA SOHO

Source: NASA/SDO - Facebook

After a rather quiet 11 year cycle peak, we are seeing a lot of activity. So, what happens if the Earth happens to be concurrently experiencing a geomagnetic field reversal? Given my limited understanding of Earth's geomagnetic field reversals, I am led to believe these can be temporary or permanent but that the Earth's protective magnetic field is slightly diminished. So, I would expect that alignment of high solar activity and a slightly diminished magnetic field on Earth would allow a higher than normal amount of radiation to reach the surface of the Earth. This prompted my curiosity as to whether any research has been done with regard to the geomagnetic field reversals or Earth, solar peaks, and increased species mutations.