Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Skunk ape' filmed in Mississippi woods

UM-Bot

He's probably using a video camera and not a camera phone to film this by the way the camera view points to the ground when he's running. The fact that he didn't zoom in to get a better view of the "skunk ape" is quite incredible.

I think he stated he was using an iphone. I am pretty sure I read that in one thread or another. Also, this was filmed last week I think at 6pm according to him. I live in Mississippi, and it is really close to be dark at 6 pm this time of year. Looks earlier than that to me. Don't know that that has anything to do with anything, just struck me as odd. One other thing, the honey island swamp is nowhere near Tunica, Mississippi. Tunica is in the Northern part of the state in the Mississippi delta while the honey island swamp is in the southern portions of Louisiana near slidell. Maybe the monster got lost.

Mike

Just going to point out, a skunk ape, which apparently are so adept at hiding from people, sat there smashing wood on a tree for two minutes while this guy fumbled around like an elephant. Then just...stand up (Very much like a human mind you), doesn't do anything just....stands up. It's a fake video, as much as I'd love it not to be. No animal that lives in the wild is going to sit there with the noise he made.

• Like 1

For one thing, "9 miles west of Tunica" isn't in Mississipi. It's in Arkansas.

Second, there's not a hog hunter in Mississippi that wouldn't have shot the damned thing and tied it to the front of his pick'em up truck (and I say that as a Mississippian).

So we're now expected to believe that the Florida Skunk Ape has a breeding population that has ranged hundreds of miles from its original habitat through some of the most densely populated land in the Southeastern US?

• Like 1

So this animal can't smell him coming let alone hear the racket he makes? Then there is the reason as to why he doesn't get closer or try get a better view point? Why are these videos always shot in the same scene? There's a bigfoot, not quite clear enough to see cause it's mostly obscured by trees, it's a reasonable distance away as so you can't quite see its features, it makes no noise,they are always so scared that they "accidentally" turn off the camera. What a load of bullhonky. Something smells Squatchy about here but it ain't bigfoot.

Fake,filmed in such a way to make it difficult to spot the suit.The guy who was filming was making considerable noise and not once did the supposed creature look or appear to be startled.The break in in the film is suspicious as well.

Pure baloney if you ask me.

• Like 1

As pointed out on another board, at 1:43 there appears to be a Caucasian-looking hand.

A chimp's hand can be very pale till it gets older. The pale hand alone doesn't proove anything.

Out hunting hogs..... Ok so he was armed looking at one of the most elusive unknown creatures. Filmed it (bad footage), got frightened and took off running. Sounds odd to me. Could have taken just one shot and all the controversy would be over.

That is really weird, and very telling against the video.

I'm not supporting that the film is real, but If I put myself in that situation, having a gun, and not knowing if I'm having a joke pulled on me, there would be no way I'd shoot either.

I think I, at least, would have yelled at it. Maybe raised my gun incase it was some gun toting tweeker... I'd not shoot till I knew it was not human.

3 - The guy is hunting Hogs...... one has to presume (considering some hogs are dangerous) he is doing so with a gun. How is he not scared of a large Hog but he is off an ape at a distance when he is holding a weapon capable of killing it? Even a warning shot would have been enough to scare it away.

I have to agree. He had 50 yards in which to raise his rifle if needed to. There was not that much to be afraid of.

Just going to point out, a skunk ape, which apparently are so adept at hiding from people, sat there smashing wood on a tree for two minutes while this guy fumbled around like an elephant. Then just...stand up (Very much like a human mind you), doesn't do anything just....stands up. It's a fake video, as much as I'd love it not to be. No animal that lives in the wild is going to sit there with the noise he made.

i agree. the guy didn't run very far either. man i would have been in the next state before i stopped

I would have tried to get closer.but this thing did not hear him or was it just eating and not carving lol

Ok , I talked to the guy who posted the video and he said a lot of people have offered to come take a look . He also said he was unsure about ' letting strangers on his hunting lease' . Some people have warned him about people wanting to kill the critter. I told him we had thermal cameras , trap cameras, a full collection kit ect..I pointed out that even though we are well armed it was all defensive . Waiting to hear back...

As for the comments about a skunk ape being a long way from home...they are spotted all over the southeast.. every week or so we get a call here in Bama . We call them loup garou ...and yes I know they are not some shapeshifting mystical critter . Our facebook page " werewolf hunting in the deep south " sounds more fun than skunk ape hunters ...until someone finds proof of one we can call it anything we want..lol. Anyway at this point I am in serious doubt that this video is anything other than a fake...but if he calls back we will load up some gear and see what happens.

• Like 1

You should point out that if he takes one he'll wind up with a ton of money. If it's real then odds are he'll go for it......instead of running away like a little girl and crying wolf.....or rather, Skunk ape.

For one thing, "9 miles west of Tunica" isn't in Mississipi. It's in Arkansas.

Second, there's not a hog hunter in Mississippi that wouldn't have shot the damned thing and tied it to the front of his pick'em up truck (and I say that as a Mississippian).

So we're now expected to believe that the Florida Skunk Ape has a breeding population that has ranged hundreds of miles from its original habitat through some of the most densely populated land in the Southeastern US?

Hey come on now, I would have at least fired a warning shot just to make sure it wasn't a prank first. Then I would have shot the damned thing. I would not, however, have tied it to the front of my truck. That really makes a mess. I would have just thrown it in the back.

Mike

• Like 1

Screw the warning. I'd have shot it then if it was a guy in a monkey suit either take my chances in court, which in mu opinion would be pretty good, or simply left. Maybe they catch me, maybe they don't.

Ah another unclear vid, did he not have a zoom on his camera?

Everything seems far too convenient to be a real clip.

• Like 1

I am going to say fake as well...but I would not be above taking the team out to check it out..only a few hours from us anyone know how to contact the guy who filmed it...? I would of course suggest to him if it was a hoax not to repeat it ...we travel very well armed.

If these creatures are real and you shoot one, shame on you. They obviously are not dangerous as there is no documentation of them attacking and killing humans. Most people may consider the only real proof to either be a specimen or a corpse but they don't require us to believe in them.

yeah....couple things on that. First I agree if the thing is real shooting it for no reason is a bad idea. It would also be pretty stupid to go out after an unknown animal of that size unarmed. My point was if someone was trying to pull a hoax and faked something trying to scare us or almost ANYONE out in the woods in the south they are going to get shot. That simple . Now as for no documentation ofthm attacking and killing humans ? We had an interview last month with a hunter who claimed a critter pretty close to the way that one looks charged him . He shot it with a deer rifle and got the hell out of dodge..he did say it only slowed it down. Down here there are reports of skunk apes being a lot more prone to destruction than a bigfoot . Who knows if the things people are seeing are real but if they ARE real they have been here a long time. The old tales are not about some lovable hippie monster banging sticks to try to talk to humans. The Loup Garou tales are a bit more gruesome . Before the 60s bigfoot craze there were hairy things in the woods that are not so lovable. I keep an open mind..I also trust the stories of old people who grew up in the woods and the swamps . That damn Roger Patterson film.....i blame it for this whole thing..lol

Just my opinion but I am out in the field on a regular basis interviewing folks only a few hours away...

Skunk apes are known to be much more violent that Sasquatch, and are likely to attack people that get too near. Running away was the right idea!

Jesus christ I cannot believe people are taking this laughable attempt at a swamp ape hoax video seriously.

You're a moron if you don't believe in shooting it to prove it exists. What makes this animal somehow exempt from the same fate mountain gorillas had?

Blow it away I say.

Edited by progressivegamer44

Shooting at it would likely just anger it, and unless you were far enough away, and had clear enough lines of fire to get off at least a half a dozen shots, it would be on you before you had time to finish the job.

As I said, skunk apes are much more violent that Sasquatch and you do not want to provoke them!

• Like 1

Screw the warning. I'd have shot it then if it was a guy in a monkey suit either take my chances in court, which in mu opinion would be pretty good, or simply left. Maybe they catch me, maybe they don't.

Who'd take you to court? You're alone with this stupid monkey suit wearing tweeker 9 miles from town. Just bury him and who's the wiser.

Perhaps you'd even be the hero, going back a week later and then reporting a body to the police.

I know... unethical, but meh....

Shooting at it would likely just anger it, and unless you were far enough away, and had clear enough lines of fire to get off at least a half a dozen shots, it would be on you before you had time to finish the job.

This guy was hunting hogs and the same applies to them. You don't carry a single shot rifle to hunt hogs, because they'll charge you and tear you a new one.

I can guarantee that at 50 yards, I'd put 4 to 6 rounds into the thing and hit every time. The only time I ever missed when in the military was at 300 yards (With a rifle anyway.).

Perhaps not everyone would be calm, or is a good shot, but I'd think normally, that someone out hunting hogs, without dogs and not with a buddy, would be either Stupid or Brave.

Edited by DieChecker

As I said, skunk apes are much more violent that Sasquatch and you do not want to provoke them!

Grizzlies are the most powerful land carnivore on this planet and they can be brought down. If this ape cannot be downed by convential means, prehaps we then need to revaluate what were looking for.

Flesh and blood mammals are considered mortal creatures for a reason.

Edited by progressivegamer44

Skunk apes are known to be much more violent that Sasquatch, and are likely to attack people that get too near. Running away was the right idea!

Can you point us to any news stories about people who were victims of skunk ape attacks? I'd like to read up on them.

• Like 2

Who'd take you to court? You're alone with this stupid monkey suit wearing tweeker 9 miles from town. Just bury him and who's the wiser.

Perhaps you'd even be the hero, going back a week later and then reporting a body to the police.

I know... unethical, but meh....

Well, I'd question the "ethics" of some idiot trying perpetrate a hoax. Besides, anyone who do this has to know that they run the risk of being shot. The key to getting away with it will be to simply not tell anyone. The majority of murders are solved because someone decided to tell what they did or they aren't careful about covering up the evidence they leave behind. In short, Stupidity.

• Like 1