Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Weird Sounds In The Night?

werewolflvr96

When i was walking my dogs about 11:35 i heard from the right of me loud screeches like a banshee. It really hurt my ears and i ran inside afterwards because i feared for my life.

Sounds like someone was trying to scare you or you heard one of any number of nocturnal animals that make horrendous noises at night.

What kind of wild animals do you have where you live?

Foxes, they make some really weird sounds, the ones like a baby crying is spooky.

• Like 1

When i was walking my dogs about 11:35 i heard from the right of me loud screeches like a banshee. It really hurt my ears and i ran inside afterwards because i feared for my life.

Do we need to make another list of animals that make "loud screeches" in the night? Because it's fairly long if we do.

• Like 1

What you need is a horny male gecko in your bedroom in the middle of the night.

• Like 1

I LIVE IN VIRGINIA.

I had that happen to me a few years back. I would take long walks every night, and sometimes I would hear a loud Screatch like that. Sometimes it sounded really close, but it never hurt me... Also my uncle(a trapper & logger) told me that it was a skunk...

Thanks for the input guys, it took my mind of the noise

Probably fox scream or owl screech. Some owls make some scary noises. Maybe take someone with you next time you go for a walk, also a camera and a flashlight just in case.

Reminds me of a night I spent camping in a forest quite a few years ago now and during the night I could have sworn I heard screeching and wailing sounds coming from some distance away.

Possibly foxes. I've had a few experiences with hearing screaming women's voices in the wee hours of the morning, and associating it with paranormal events that I later realised was more likely to have been animal noises like foxes. Did it sound anything like the sounds from 0:30 - 1:10 in this video? I know what it's like to hear these kind of sounds in the wee hours of the morning when you're alone and out doing some urban exploring. It can freeze you in your steps and convince your brain that something terrible is responsible for what you've just heard and is after you. The flight or fight instinct can kick in and lead you to freeze solid in front of your TV or computer in the middle of the night (or in the middle of the road when out exploring at 3am) or to you bolting it straight to your bedroom and huddling under the bedsheets in fear (or running like a crazy person home from your nighttime exploration when you hear foxes mating or screaming and thinking it's a banshee).

Anyway, listen to all of the following and see if it could match the sounds you heard:

• Like 1

Screech owls do as their name implies. A terrible screech, at night. Scare the heck outta ya!

Bobcats have a "yip" that sounds like a human crying, "help" .... "help" ... to the uninitiated.

Bobcats are cougars are not often seen, but can heavily populate an area. Plenty of them here in the Utah desert, judging from tracks and noises, but almost never seen. Very secretive.

I like hearing a bobcat's yip. Makes me smile. I hear a cougar and I get the .357 Magnum revolver. They have been known to attack and kill people. I appreciate that cougars have a place in the environment, but I don't get maudlin about it.

Supposedly, wearing a human-face mask on the back of your head keeps them from attacking from behind -- the preferred method of the big cats. Natives in India wear human-face masks on the backs of their heads, as protection against tigers.

I imagine it might work with cougars, too.

But then, so does a 158-grain semiwadcutter bullet at 1,250 feet per second, as a last resort.

Banshees' don't scream, they wail and moan.

Banshees' don't scream, they wail and moan.

Kind of makes the "screaming like a banshee" saying a bit silly