Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are video games good for your brain ?

UM-Bot

A new study suggests that playing video games can have a beneficial impact on the brain.

The debate over whether playing video games can be harmful or beneficial to a person's health is nothing new, some see playing games as the modern age equivalent to being a couch potato while others see it as an avenue to social confidence, faster reflexes and a sharpened mind.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...-for-your-brain

As with most things, this all comes down to moderation. Playing games all day everyday has a negative effect. I read somewhere that the average gamer who plays often has the reflexes of a fighter pilot...

Edited by Zero Fox FK
  • Like 1

As an avid gamer, in some ways they're good, in other ways they're not. Everything in moderation, don't let life and responsbilities fall by the wayside while you play call of duty or mario.

Am I going to be the first to say? Really... You guys are gonna make me do this.. Okay then... Ahem! BOOBIES..that is all.

• Like 1

But seriously, I to agree that video games are useful for neurological tendencies.. I guess that's how I wanted to word it. :su

And People have told me for years that Games where bad for me.

Some surveys show gamers are more likely to be 5% faster, better etc..er than those who don't play.

First person shooters, faster in crisis management, Real Time Strategy players 5% better at strategy and so on...

The surveys even suggested that some employers were using the results to hire employees....

Yet I have a 17 year old who may be all of those but is useless in real life basic living...an addict!

• Like 1

I am no gamer, I've no time for it but this is an interesting article.

It may bring some relief to concern parents and their teenagers hook on video games.

Though it may have some benefits for the brain (more studies needs be done) it should not take away other activities which are also benefitial for a person.

Reading, writting, physical activities these are good for the brain and bodies and a balance approach is needed in life.

If you play video games all night long, doesn't do any physical fitness and do not learn anything else than shooting and racing virtually, I think the potential benefit of video game becomes quite useless.

Edited by sam_comm

Most of the gaming addicts I have met or know {I live with one} has shown very little social skills {an inability to socialize with others or generally get along with others}, the attention span of a goldfish, has pronounced emotional immaturity {throwing tantrums like small children} and often has anger management issues. I wonder if the gaming industry puts these "studies" out, like how the tobacco industry had everyone {including doctors} believing smoking was good for you many an age ago. That is the addicts though, other gamers {play once in a while, not like an addict} that I have known have been quite intelligent to start with, an gravitate towards games like chess, and computer games that challenge them mentally.

Some surveys show gamers are more likely to be 5% faster, better etc..er than those who don't play.

First person shooters, faster in crisis management, Real Time Strategy players 5% better at strategy and so on...

The surveys even suggested that some employers were using the results to hire employees....

Yet I have a 17 year old who may be all of those but is useless in real life basic living...an addict!

yet you do nothing?

The viedogames have been blamed for years as the main root cause of the worst imaginable pulses in the young people, and now suddenly discovers that are good for the brain..but please..

Playing video games has ruined my life. Before I tried playing video games I was failing at life and bored all the time. Once I played video games I became hero and champion. At night I dream all about playing video games. I quit my job to play more video games and I ignored my girlfriend to play more video games. I started stealing from my family to support my video gaming habit and before long I was turning tricks just to play a few minutes of Skyrim!!!

I hit rock bottom chasing the virtual dragon. But fear not for through the power of Christ all things are possible and thanks to the support of the CAVGA (Christians Against Video Gaming Addiction) I am now eight months clean of the nightmare of video game addiction and don't even think about video games any more much at all.

Really they are beneficial if done in moderation. In general, moderation in everything in life usually brings good results. Long have people considered game to be hazardous and perhaps life-destroying. Games have always helped the new generations to cope with real life challenges, they also serve as a get-away.

It is really no wonder that something so brain-demanding produces positive results in such an area. I wouldn't be surprised if a muscle improves after being repeatedly used in a gym. Of course, such muscle upgrade would be beneficial for real life challenges.

People nowawadays, and before, consider games to be a problem due to the impacts on gaming-addicts. Of course over-use of a muscle in the gym is not beneficial. That does not mean, however, that visiting a gym daily is bad for you. Not at all.

Moderation, it is the key to most of our hobbies.

Edited by Sun Raven

Yes, full agreement, moderation is always the way to go.

My 'gamer boy's' skills in keyboard use is beyond the par, he can type faster than I can think and flawlessly, the result of online chats during games, his social skills are beyond most in determining strategic reply's to leading questions, his self confidence is enormous because of these interactions and his ability to detach from a gaming environment is demonstrated easily.

But given the chance to know he has no other commitments to attend to, he is glued to his machine, missing meals and sleeps in the pursuit of winning th3e big one, Kudo's and money.

And yet no matter how I look at it, it is the reality of modern life and of life yet to live...because the 'polls' show it all, its a gamers life!

yay if i play black ops i can survive a zombie outbreak! O.o

It's probably bad for the eyes though.

Your right there, I have been using computers for 12 odd years and my eyesight is now atrocious..

I make interactive books, games and vids and things like that and had to buy 3 different specs at $NZ1200 each time....

I bet that if instead of Super Mario 64 they had chosen a game like Carmaggedon results would not have been the same lol

Well, I'll have a reason as to why I didn't study for my big exam now...

Most of the gaming addicts I have met or know {I live with one} has shown very little social skills {an inability to socialize with others or generally get along with others}, the attention span of a goldfish, has pronounced emotional immaturity {throwing tantrums like small children} and often has anger management issues.

This is the individual, not the activities they choose. I perhaps fit the poor social skills part, though I get along with people fine, just awkwardly. However compared to others I've met in my life I have a very high patience level and attention span. I work in production services in IT of a major payroll company. Minor programming, lots of operations and sifting through code problem solving errors. Patience is a requirement of the job.

I find your description fits better with people who are not so much gamers, as they are someone who found a single game they are attached to and can't pull themselves away from. People who only play CoD or Warcraft. I guess this has always somehow seemed a different category in my mind. The difference between someone who is into sports, and someone who obsesses over their one football team and doesn't really care about sports outside of that.

Your right there, I have been using computers for 12 odd years and my eyesight is now atrocious..

I make interactive books, games and vids and things like that and had to buy 3 different specs at $NZ1200 each time....

Most of the eye problems with screens came from old CRT monitors that were constantly refreshing an image. If you video the old screens and slow it down you'd see a constant flash of light, usually 60-80 times a second (depending on refresh rate.) LCD screens don't have that same behavior as they are mechanically very different, and as such are also much easier on the eyes. Though there may be something to be said about focusing your eyes on a two dimensional object for long periods.

There is nothing wrong with gaming,I play games and I play online.

The secret is as some have already said is moderation.I put my Wife and marriage first and when I do play, I play in short sessions and remain firmly planted in the Real world.

It depends on what is considered beneficial and at what cost?

The viedogames have been blamed for years as the main root cause of the worst imaginable pulses in the young people, and now suddenly discovers that are good for the brain..but please..

Before video games it was Dungeons and Dragons and violent Movies that made kids Crazy.

I do have a friend who lost a whole Semester of college due to Diablo II.

It is said that kids that played video games are much better soldiers. They have better reaction times and have familiarity with many military situations. Also tanks, fighter planes, drones and whatnot all drive like a video game now.