Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Which way does your dog's tail wag ?

UM-Bot

Scientists have been attempting to learn more about the way a dog communicates by wagging its tail.

A dog wagging its tail tends to be associated with a positive mood, but the direction of the wagging can often hold a significance that usually goes unnoticed. A dog that wags its tail predominantly to the right is usually exhibiting happiness, whereas tail wagging oriented towards the left can mean that the dog is anxious or nervous.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/257195/which-way-does-your-dogs-tail-wag

• Like 1

While some people might dis this research, I believe it is essential for us to seek to communicate with those species around us. If we, as humans, really believe ourselves to be intelligent entities, then why we do force our pets to interpret our communications rather than we becoming the masterful interpreters of their communications. We may be dominant, but are we really much more intelligent regarding inter-species communication?

Edited by highdesert50

Who the hell has money for this BS? I mean this is one of the most important things in this galaxy?

One of my daughters has a Clumber Spaniel whose tail describes a perfect geometric circle when it's excited. (Theories please?)

• Like 1

One of my daughters has a Clumber Spaniel whose tail describes a perfect geometric circle when it's excited. (Theories please?)

It's nervous about being happy... It is a Spaniel after all...

• Like 1

grc,A few dollars spent on dog behavior might prevent some very bad dog injuries and hospital bills but only for those who pay attention to whats going on around them.

It isn't the way the tail wags I worry about.If they could find a way to tell us when the tail is ready to go vertical and give us a 'pre-warning' then I would be more than happy.

My dog's tail wags in a circle. He's learned how to use it for flying. If he comes in my room flying around fowling on my bed one more time, I swear to Cthulu...

• Like 1

Who the hell has money for this BS? I mean this is one of the most important things in this galaxy?

Well, of course not.

However, learning more about the behavior of our pets, I suppose, is a good thing and worthy of research.

Recall how one can tell if some wild animals are getting ready to attack, by virtue of general posture, ear's up or down, etc...

This could not have been done without research.

• Like 1

< before he passed my friend to the left usually wagged his tail up ^ because down was usually hitting the couch or the floor or the grass or something, but when he was standing the tail would wag in a circle and being as while he was awake and standing it was always wagging it would be useless try to tell which way it was pointed. sometimes it even wagged in his sleep.

Edited by mysticwerewolf

life must be tough for Boxers haha
  • Like 1

< before he passed my friend to the left usually wagged his tail up ^ because down was usually hitting the couch or the floor or the grass or something, but when he was standing the tail would wag in a circle and being as while he was awake and standing it was always wagging it would be useless try to tell which way it was pointed. sometimes it even wagged in his sleep.

What a lovely looking lad.Its terrible to lose them.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah i have pittbulls and uhh the wag there tails back and forth both directions unless i observe the instant they start... nevermind looks all the same to me as far as which direction. I get like fast or excited tail wags but different directions nope its always left and right, never like north and south like smacking there heads and then bac down.Lol srry funny mental pic...

Edited by Controller Junkie

I have mini-schnauzers with docked tails and their tails back and forth, neither mostly left nor mostly right. I agree that tail waging in general is good to study so you can know a dog's general mood. Since dogs don't talk, we need some method by which we can figure out how they feel. I don't think, however, that a tail wagging mostly right or left has any relevance, though.