Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Rape victims can be partly responsible

Commander CMG

the last time Rape subject was on this forum it became very heated, accusations thrown everywhere

Being raped is not the responsibility of the victim. it never is.

I agree with that. I believe that a rape victim is never guilty of the crime that was committed against them. I also believe that in some cases, they are guilty of willfully putting themselves in situations that drastically increase their chances of being raped.

the last time Rape subject was on this forum it became very heated, accusations thrown everywhere

It's a very heated topic but let's have faith in the UM community!

• Like 1

How about nobody should rape anybody period...

But at the same time we do have to be careful about the environments we put ourselves in because we know that people are crazy. For example if I got myself a boyfriend I should be careful before letting sleep over or be around my kids. Now if I did begin to THINK I could trust him and he snuck into their rooms in the middle of the night, would that be my or my kids fault? Hell no but at the same time it wouldn't have happened if I took a little longer to find out what kind of person he was.

Unfortunately we live in a world with many horrors and we must be precautious. There also should be better awareness, reporting and consequences. Rape SHOULD NOT be happening. If it wasn't for the fact that it IS possible for a woman to try to get someone in trouble for crying rape I would say all rape convicts should get their weiners cut off... yep, I think that might help.

But education and fearlessness can go a long way, so be informed and teach others whatever you can about not raping or being raped.. and when rape does happen don't let them get away with it even if you have to get gangster....

How about nobody should rape anybody period...

But at the same time we do have to be careful about the environments we put ourselves in because we know that people are crazy. For example if I got myself a boyfriend I should be careful before letting sleep over or be around my kids. Now if I did begin to THINK I could trust him and he snuck into their rooms in the middle of the night, would that be my or my kids fault? Hell no but at the same time it wouldn't have happened if I took a little longer to find out what kind of person he was.

Unfortunately we live in a world with many horrors and we must be precautious. There also should be better awareness, reporting and consequences. Rape SHOULD NOT be happening. If it wasn't for the fact that it IS possible for a woman to try to get someone in trouble for crying rape I would say all rape convicts should get their weiners cut off... yep, I think that might help.

But education and fearlessness can go a long way, so be informed and teach others whatever you can about not raping or being raped.. and when rape does happen don't let them get away with it even if you have to get gangster....

...why couldn't I have just written it out like that? Well said.

• Like 2

I agree with that. I believe that a rape victim is never guilty of the crime that was committed against them. I also believe that in some cases, they are guilty of willfully putting themselves in situations that drastically increase their chances of being raped.

i'm sorry, but if that's your view, then we do not agree, at all.

Every time I go out drinking in the town I risk being physically or verbally attacked, lots of people, some mentally unhinged and most people have had a few drinks, some very drunk, some on drugs like cocaine etc are out there and not everyone is happy and having a good time. In 20 odd years I have been in about 7 fights or so. Is it my fault? Should I stay in in the house and not go out to socialize? I am knowingly putting my self in harms way and I know the risks but it is NOT my fault if I get attacked by some idiot/s. I think it is exactly the same for rape victims.

• Like 1

Clearly if women leave the house we are inviting men to rape us, Thank you Miss Hewson for clearing that up for me. Also, Women are guilty of the crime of possessing a vagina, All these years we have been blaming the rapists! How wrong were we! A few weeks ago I was walking to catch my bus early in the morning to get to work when some lowlife druggy got a knife to me and tried to mug me . Someone came along and scared him off, But was that in fact my fault for having a job that requires me to leave the house, Should I employ a bodyguard ??

I think many rapes happen because of the perception a specific man has of a specific woman. If a woman goes out on the town dressed like a prostitute it signals to men that she is (minus the money). Many men will treat her as one believing she is some kind of tramp after just one thing. In most cases they are. The problem occurs with those women who dont realise the signals they're sending out, who choose to be ignorant of them, who are naive about what men are really like and who refuse to acknowledge that they're making themselves targets.

Women can live in ignorance if they want but those who take responsibility for their own safety are far less likely to be victims of rape and other crimes.

I think many rapes happen because of the perception a specific man has of a specific woman. If a woman goes out on the town dressed like a prostitute it signals to men that she is (minus the money). Many men will treat her as one believing she is some kind of tramp after just one thing. In most cases they are. The problem occurs with those women who dont realise the signals they're sending out, who choose to be ignorant of them, who are naive about what men are really like and who refuse to acknowledge that they're making themselves targets.

Women can live in ignorance if they want but those who take responsibility for their own safety are far less likely to be victims of rape and other crimes.

You are an idiot. When a woman does herself up all nice and feels and wants to dress sexy then that's cool, the world would be a much worse place if some lasses didn't. She goes out socializing to attract men and their attention. So what? You think she is a 'tramp'? I assume you are trolling, you can't be that thick. She wants to meet and chat to different men and then maybe end up going home with one or swapping numbers or email addresses or whatever. She might just want to be flirty and have fun, flirting always feels great.

Also I guess you don't get out much or drink in nice places. Some of finest, sexiest lasses I've spoken to come up from London to drink in Newcastle, they dress like ultra sexy pop stars and stuff and are out for a good time, and they earn more in month then I earn in a year!

At no point in my life have I ever met or seen a lass and thought 'she's asking to get raped'.

Again I feel I need to say at the very worst a lass might be guilty of being naive, or drunk, or in some cases stupid or all three and probably other stuff, but not in some way inviting rape.

Every time I go out drinking in the town I risk being physically or verbally attacked, lots of people, some mentally unhinged and most people have had a few drinks, some very drunk, some on drugs like cocaine etc are out there and not everyone is happy and having a good time. In 20 odd years I have been in about 7 fights or so. Is it my fault? Should I stay in in the house and not go out to socialize? I am knowingly putting my self in harms way and I know the risks but it is NOT my fault if I get attacked by some idiot/s. I think it is exactly the same for rape victims.

different, you make a choice when doing drugs and not rape

Be very careful what you say from now on, i suspect a backlash

• Like 2

At most you can say the woman acted in a manner that painted herself as a target. And that doesn't necessarily mean wearing revealing clothes. A woman might be targeted because she's conservatively dressed.

It still has nothing to do with the responsibility of the crime, which always is in the perpetrators hands.

Edited by Almagest
  • Like 2

well we could all hope she befalls such h a fate as to be raped, but honestly by the looks of her,that wont be happening.

well we could all hope she befalls such h a fate as to be raped, but honestly by the looks of her,that wont be happening.

That's really....vicious. No one EVER deserves to be raped or have any crime committed on them. No one.

• Like 1

My comment could have been written better but its correct. Now another user has connected appearance to rape. If we strip away all the rubbish then most women who get raped share the same characteristics. Basically if they dress like a tart a lot of men out they assume they are a tart and will treat them like one too. Fact of life. Ignoring or refusing to acknowledge this isnt going to make the problem go away. Women who choose to be ignorant while going out dressed and acting like tarts make themselves targets. They send the wrong message out to men.

Why would a woman go out dressed like that anyway? They obviously have no self respect to begin with.

Talking like that, and your name combine to make a troubling conclusion as to what type of person you are.

• Like 3

My comment could have been written better but its correct. Now another user has connected appearance to rape. If we strip away all the rubbish then most women who get raped share the same characteristics. Basically if they dress like a tart a lot of men out they assume they are a tart and will treat them like one too. Fact of life. Ignoring or refusing to acknowledge this isnt going to make the problem go away. Women who choose to be ignorant while going out dressed and acting like tarts make themselves targets. They send the wrong message out to men.

Why would a woman go out dressed like that anyway? They obviously have no self respect to begin with.

You're comment is incorrect. Rape is not about sex. Rape is about power and control. It has nothing to do with the was a women dresses. That is just stereotypical ignorance of the subject.

It is a vile act preformed by vile people and no one, in any way, is ever responsible save the rapist.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 3

Talking like that, and your name combine to make a troubling conclusion as to what type of person you are.

SIlent Hunter is a popular submarine game series.

And a woman doesn't dress provocitavely becasue she wants to be raped.

See how easy it is to make mistakes by assumpitions with no back groudn information?

• Like 1

This explanation sounds dumb to me. Many women dress in ways they think are cute when they go out on the town. Just because she is showing skin doesn't mean she's a hoe and a man who thinks like that needs some help. No matter how you see her, if she doesn't want to sleep with you, she doesn't want to sleep with you. How a person dresses has nothing to do with rape. Rape occurs when a sexual act is FORCED on someone, you know by violent means. At the end of the night, some dumb jerk might be a butthole, but everyone should be able to return home safely no matter what color the dress was or how high the heels were or if she was wearing make up or not....

What your saying is that women (depending on how they are dressed) are prostitutes (minus the money) so that's why they get raped... this is the mentality (excuses rapists may tell themselves) of a rapist, are you a rapist?

I mean you could be, if you are I see why you'd click on this topic.... either which way I think you need to get some help on how to view women and I am very serious about that.

Edited by SpiritWriter
  • Like 2

Not all women who get raped are dressed up a certain "provocative" way. Many are not! Some could be out doing a late shift, i.e. night nurses. A number of women who've been raped have been attacked when they're trying to get home or go to school, college, work, train station, ect. They're not going out "looking for trouble." This view that women are asking for it is stupid. Also rape victims are attacked by men they know, who could be colleagues, friends, ect. The problem is that it's the rapists who are out of control savage beasts looking for a victim.

That woman Barbara Hewson is foul. She's got a nasty opinion on victims of rape.

• Like 3

This sad excuse of a female also called for the age of consent to be lowered to 13, well my alarm bells are ringing so how would one call for her to be investigated (yewtree) :angry:http://huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/05/09/barbara-hewson-says-age-of-consent-should-be-13_n_3242798.html

• Like 3

I have to say that we all, male and female, young and old, should be able to dress as we want and go where we want when we want without fear of assault, sexual or otherwise. The assaulter should be judged on that basis and no mitigation allowed.

That said, common sense dictates to me that I don't wear gold and fancy rings in public, that I take a low profile and don't exhibit signs of wealth, that I avoid certain areas at certain times, and so on. These are standards for personal behavior but not standards I would impose on others, nor would others doing otherwise be any mitigation for criminal acts.

• Like 2

Please do not assume that anyone other than yourself desires this woman to be raped. You have stated that you wish her to be raped and want others to agree with you but you think she's too ugly to be raped. Are you stating that you think only pretty people get raped? What is your criteria of beauty that makes a person rapeable?

. What she said was callous and wrong and places blame on only some victims of rape for their part in the rape.Her statement by extension will force any victim of rape to prove their 'moral innocence' (her words not mine).

Anyone can be a victim of rape regardless of age, color, gender or circumstance. Rapist are power predators who look for targets that their experience allows them to control, as their experience raping another individual expands their ability to control/force another in more difficult situations expands.

All locking your door or dressing conservatively does is deter a inexperienced rapist, one that has greater experience will not be deterred by those efforts! Insight into the minds of predators has been gained by understanding the likes of Ted Bundy, Ariel Castro, All of them start small and even Ariel Castro said that he blamed his victims for getting in his car, this is called deflection and it blames another for a crime or impulse that he had and failed or didn't want to control in himself. So her statement about the victims of rape isn't partially wrong it's completely wrong and yours is as well.

Mabon.

• Like 3

This explanation sounds dumb to me. Many women dress in ways they think are cute when they go out on the town. Just because she is showing skin doesn't mean she's a hoe and a man who thinks like that needs some help. No matter how you see her, if she doesn't want to sleep with you, she doesn't want to sleep with you. How a person dresses has nothing to do with rape. Rape occurs when a sexual act is FORCED on someone, you know by violent means. At the end of the night, some dumb jerk might be a butthole, but everyone should be able to return home safely no matter what color the dress was or how high the heels were or if she was wearing make up or not....

What your saying is that women (depending on how they are dressed) are prostitutes (minus the money) so that's why they get raped... this is the mentality (excuses rapists may tell themselves) of a rapist, are you a rapist?

I mean you could be, if you are I see why you'd click on this topic.... either which way I think you need to get some help on how to view women and I am very serious about that.

This isnt a polarised debate where you either dress as a nun or you're making yourself a rape target. There are different degrees of dressing up to go out. We have all been in a nightclub full of women all dressed up looking good. We have all also noticed that occasional women who comes in looking like something you'd expect to find on a street corner. The women give her dirty looks as if to say she's a tramp and the men think she's one too.

Of course rape is a crime and a rapist deserves 10 years in prison. However, I also think that the women dressed like they belong on street corners need locking up too. We should have indecency laws stopping the degeneration of our society in this way.

Edited by SilentHunter