Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
wthwthat

Birds that appear to glow at night.

wthwthat

Last night about 1:30 am I was heading into my house.I glanced up at the sky and out of the corner of my eye saw what I thought to be 3 moving lights.I waited until they cleared the tree tops and and it was 3 large birds.Looked like geese but they glowed bright white.Any ideas or anybody else seen this.They were actually glowing.

• Like 1

Mr.United_Nations

Swans

Oppono Astos

I'd suggest that rather than glowing they were reflecting ground-based light pollution.

• Like 1

ChrLzs

The light pollution explanation is probably the best one but also, especially in the earlier evening it can be quite dark at ground level, yet at increasing heights any objects may be illuminated by much stronger dusk light, or even sunlight, that is passing overhead - obviously the sun sets later for anything up high. This is how we see satellites at night - they are sunlit! - but they are only visible in the earlier part of the evening, or pre-dawn sky (it's somewhat subject to your latitude..)

• Like 2

Marriettastory

Hello, 

I am from South Carolina and recently at approximately 1am my mom was woken up by something hitting our French doors outside. Where we live there is no light pollution or any external lights on our house. We do not live in a neighborhood so this factors out any kind of person or rays of light reflecting off objects. My mom looked out the French doors and saw an object approximately the size of a small bird flying around the porch. This bird was glowing at the intensity of approximately a flashlight. She was startled because at first thought this was an intruder on our back porch. When she got closer to investigate the illuminated bird flew around our ceiling fan and then off the porch back into the woods outside. This was not a large bird like mentioned in other posts but nonetheless was an illuminated flying object that collided with our door and then seemed to fly away. 

Hammerclaw

Curious sightings, indeed, as there are no naturally occurring bioluminescent birds. 

ChrLzs

I wonder if the lights in that room might be emitting a bit more than usual UV, perhaps?  As HC said, no birds 'glow', but certainly some of their colours (even whites and greys) may fluoresce if being hit by some UltraViolet.  Also, though this doesn't seem to apply here, if your eyes are night adjusted, then something like a white owl will seem very bright on a dark night.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Unkown

Last night I was outside having a smoke about 2 am and i live in a trailer park outside of the city and its a very dark park at night. And i looked in the sky and probably about 10-20 feet above my trailer were 2 big things flying in the sky glowing green.. Idk how to explain how big they were.. But i have no idea what it was and they were flying fast and in a complete straight line and i dont think i seen wings, 

ChrLzs

They were big and glowing and only 10-20 feet up?  Hmm.  Seems strange that you couldn't identify anything, not even a shape...

As a side note, stuff in the sky may be illuminated by things you can't see - there can be light sources on the ground out of your sight, but that shine upwards and therefore light the objects up.  Also near dusk and dawn the light overhead (from the sun or even distant illuminated clouds) can be markedly different from that at ground level.