Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Kid dressed up as KKK for halloween

seeder

Heres a good idea, dress your son up as a KuKluxKlan member and send him out knocking on doors.... doh :no:

"Sometimes, mother really doesn't know best".

The mom of a seven-year old boy from Virginia dressed him up for Halloween night in a Ku Klux Klan costume.

Jessica Black, from Craigsville, says her little boy, Jackson who is seven actually asked if he could also dress as a member of the white supremacist group, so she decided to make him the costume.

Ms Black says it's a 'family tradition'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2485213/Mom-allowed-seven-year-old-son-dress-like-KKK-member-Halloween-faces-angry-backlash.html

• Like 2

Pretty scary! .. but i don't see a problem. Kids dress up like all sorts of heroes and villains. Would you refuse candy to a kid dressed like Hitler ? It's Halloween . . BOO!

* i know your thinking about the kid's safety... but really.. it's just another kid trick or treating

Edited by lightly
  • Like 3

I'm not sure how her brother doing it a couple times as a kid makes it family tradition. And I'm not sure why, but it strikes me as pretty odd for a 7 year old kid to get halloween costume inspiration from Fried Green Tomatoes.

• Like 3

Pretty scary! .. but i don't see a problem. Kids dress up like all sorts of heroes and villains. Would you refuse candy to a kid dressed like Hitler ? It's Halloween . . BOO!

* i know your thinking about the kid's safety... but really.. it's just another kid trick or treating

I try not to read too much into this kinda stuff...it's just a costume for one night of the year. He's seven, and saw it in a movie, and thought it was a cool idea....As a parent, she, the mother, should have explained to her son, that Some people would take offense to it, and nixed the idea....Was it in poor taste? I think so. But, one bad descision on the mother's part, doesn't mean she is teaching hate to her son. Or rascism.

And I know perfectly grown up adults, who have dressed up in costumes, that, looking back on it, weren't very good ideas....

• Like 1

I went as Jesus one year . I was crucified of course, but woke up three days later none the worse for wear. ( lol ? )

Ya, maybe not the brightest decision by Mom, and there may have been a little parental influence involved in the costume choice? , but still .. I'd have just laughed to see a 7 year old as a KKK .. or Charles Manson... or Hitler... or Dick Cheney. (LOL?)

It's Halloween, a chance for kids to dress up as scary people , creatures, specters , and what nots. Does a kid in a zombie costume mean that he's promoting a zombie apocalypse ?

Edited by lightly
  • Like 5

I went as Jesus one year . I was crucified of course, but woke up three days later none the worse for wear. ( lol ? )

LOL... :)

I'm sure there were quite a few people, who were "offended" by that as well.

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 2

Considering Halloween costumes generally mock someone they consider a villain I don't see any harm in it...as long as he understands the implications.

It's not like little girls who can be cute and dress up like a princess .

• Like 1

Dressing up as a pirate is worse in my opinion. KKK members murdered and tried to prevent equality in a few states. Pirates have murdered, stolen and raped throughout history. Tell which is worse to be imitate on Halloween?

• Like 1

Considering Halloween costumes generally mock someone they consider a villain I don't see any harm in it...as long as he understands the implications.

It's not like little girls who can be cute and dress up like a princess .

Maybe those with brown skins would get offended by a kid knocking on their door dressed as the KKK? In the UK we have the Jimmy Saville mass pedo, and before he was rumbled people used to think it fun to dress like and impersonate him.

I think that NOW nobody would be so stupid to do that

heres another one in the news, some woman dressed up as a Boston Bombing victim...

"Woman, 22, posts picture of her Boston Marathon victim Halloween costume and asks if it's 'too soon?' - Twitter users respond with a resounding YES"

http://www.dailymail...-Halloween.html

The above woman received death threats according to the article too

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

Maybe those with brown skins would get offended by a kid knocking on their door dressed as the KKK? In the UK we have the Jimmy Saville mass pedo, and before he was rumbled people used to think it fun to dress like and impersonate him.

I think that NOW nobody would be so stupid to do that

As many have said, it is Halloween and demonising the KKK as ghoulies and monsters seems appropriate - all villians attack the innocent.

Although, if it was a July 4th fancy dress day, I would see the problem

• Like 2

heres another one in the news, some woman dressed up as a Boston Bombing victim...

"Woman, 22, posts picture of her Boston Marathon victim Halloween costume and asks if it's 'too soon?' - Twitter users respond with a resounding YES"

Is dressing up as a Pearl Harbour victim "too soon" - Heck YES, some things are definitely in the - NEVER and I mean NEVER category.

• Like 2

This is more of a reflection on the mother instead of the child. She should have taken some time to explain what the implications were. As they say, you can't fix stupid.

Although I have seen some tasteless and offensive things at Halloween. Political correctness goes out the window sometimes.

• Like 1

Dressing up as a pirate is worse in my opinion. KKK members murdered and tried to prevent equality in a few states. Pirates have murdered, stolen and raped throughout history. Tell which is worse to be imitate on Halloween?

KKK in my view, pirates are just out for money, Klansmen base it on racial/societal hatred.

Capitalist motivators aren't as bad as blind hatred

• Like 1

I think its weird for a kid to do it. Like really weird

but for teenagers and adults to do It a see no problem.

One year people from my school one guy dressed as KKK and three black guys decided to go as slaves in ropes and everything and have the guy dressed as KKK pull them along.

Sooooooo to each his own. I think the fact that people dress like a KKK for Halloween shows that no ones takes them serious anymore.

• Like 1

The above woman received death threats according to the article too

Ya.. now that's Not Funny. No accounting for tastelessness i guess.

* I'd be more worried about the ones issuing death threats over it though .. than the woman's dumb choice in costume. Probably just big mouths.?

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

That's pretty wrong, especially for the kid to want to dress up as that. Kid probably didn't know much or what the meaning behind it was. His mother shouldn't have allowed him to go out dressing up like that. There has to be a limit to certain things. As for threats: I find it messed up but she should have known better than to allow her son to go out dressing up like that. You never know about people sometimes sadly.

• Like 1

Whoops, somebody did it again!!

"9/11 families' fury after two British students WIN fancy dress competition wearing TWIN TOWERS outfits" (and one of them is daughter of a pilot who flew in US on day of terror attacks)

19-year-olds Amber Langford and Annie Collinge, won the contest at a Chester nightclub despite lampooning the worst terrorist attack in modern history. Today families of those who lost loved ones in the New York terror attack said they were upset about their joke. It has emerged that Miss Langford's father Martin was a pilot in the United States when al-Qaeda brought down the World Trade Center and killed 2,996 people. Miss Collinge, left, and her friend are pictured top right posing together.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2488232/Fury-British-girls-Twin-Towers-fancy-dress-costumes--daughter-pilot-flying-US-time-terror-attacks.html

Sounds like that kid watched a bit too much 'South Park'

sp_0107_13_m4.jpg?width=200

Things could have been worse though.

sp_0107_03_v6-e1319830510665.jpg

• Like 2

And someone already did that too...

"The Asda Nazi: Man kicked out of Cambridge supermarket for wandering aisles dressed in full Nazi SS uniform"

Police have been called to a branch of Asda after a man was seen wandering the aisles wearing a full Nazi SS uniform. The incident occurred in a Cambridge branch of the supermarket yesterday afternoon, with a 48-year-old local man taking to Twitter today to claim responsibility.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-asda-nazi-man-kicked-out-of-cambridge-supermarket-for-wandering-aisles-dressed-in-full-nazi-ss-uniform-8917517.html

While Halloween is about villains and scary ghosts and witches.... they don't really offend people. I blame the mother, the kid obviously doesn't really know the ins and outs of it. Personally I wouldn't find it offensive but can understand why some would and think it's in bad taste.

• Like 1

If I lived in America, I doubt I would allow any of my children to go dressed as something that may well offend some of the neighbours... What I mean is, something that was and likely still is real life costumes ( and not the fictional kind ) that were known to terrorise people and cause pain for so many over the years.. I think I'd be afraid to offend some black folk who may well have grandparents / great grandparents and other relatives who were most likely victims of the KKK, so, I don't think it would be a wise move... I think sticking to the fictional side of Halloween is more appropriate..

The kid is just seven years old, he doesn't understand...I do not blame the kid...What ever happened to traditional costumes? Or funny costumes?

I can tell you a LOT worse than that, there is a thread on this same page about two much older students dressed up as the twin towers from 9/11 ..That is just messed up on all levels... You can overlook a 7 year old, but those who are a lot older, there is no excuse for it...

• Like 4

I agreed with you on the twin towers costumes, I also added that saying someone could have went as something a lot worse does not in any way justify it....It would be a lot different if it were just something fictional, but something that was real life and was known to cause pain and grief to many is not right in my view...

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

Some people wanted to be edgy and scary "for fun" dressing up in controversial and potentially offensive costumes: whether it is Hitler, the KKK and Osama Bin Laden to name a few. The news media frenzy over Julianne Hough's blackface costume "orange is the new black" shows some people just don't get it: Painting your face black or brown reminds us of a time when insensitive racism was rampant before the Civil Rights Movement of the 1950's and 60's. Blackface performances mocked African-Americans when white entertainers played black people in a manner that didn't get approved of and is unacceptable to the African-American community. We hear more stories to brought up awareness on dressing up as ethnic groups like "terrorists" (Arabs or Middle-eastern people), geishas (Japanese/Asians), banditos (Mexicans/Latinos) and "Indians" (Native Americans) for halloween is not funny as they're generally offensive.

Edited by Mike D boy