Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Art Bell's radio show ends after just 6 weeks

UM-Bot

The popular paranormal radio host's show 'Dark Matter' has disappeared from SiriusXM Satellite Radio.

Art Bell is a name that became synonymous with all things unexplained when he presented the popular Coast to Coast AM radio show for over 15 years. When plans were announced for him to return as host of a new nightly paranormal radio show on SiriusXM back in July, fans jumped at the chance to tune in.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/257353/art-bells-radio-show-ends-after-just-6-weeks

• Like 1

Art Bell is my favorite radio host ever! But...what a quitter. Why would he think Sirius would alter their business model just for him. Seems like he was looking for a way out.

You mean it wasn't pulled by the Illuminati?

• Like 4

I am very sorry to hear it didn't work out, but since I can't afford to subscribe to Sirius, I hadn't heard his new show anyway. I wish he would come back to regular radio again.

I gave the show a try, but he had someone on with video that was so fake I wanted to scream. It was the guy who said he and his dog was attacked by an alien and his dog got killed. I stopped listening after that.

He left when he was on top. He should just leave it at that and go down in history as a legend.

We don't need another Brett Favre.

• Like 1

I do not understand this decision, this is very disappointing.

I am a fan of Art Bell and it is true that not everyone can pay for the satellite Sirius XM radio and therfore you've a limited audience.

As much as I was for it, the idea of having a free live streaming on artbell.com was unrealistic. Sirius, as a business, hoped to get more radio satellite subscribers with this show so why on Earth would they allow the show to be aired online for free?

The Art Bell production team should have forseen this. As much as people like Art Bell around the world, not everyone can get or is ready to pay for a monthly subscribtion on Sirius. He should come back to the old AM/FM band or else become a blogtalk radio like so many paranormal show.

Here is something reassuring:

''We are sorry that Dark Matter on SiriusXM has come to an abrupt end. We'll examine our options and may be able to return in a different format and medium.''

So, Art may be soon on air again, if they find a valuable solution.

Well if not, Noory on C2C AM will slowly but surely get his audience back.

Edited by sam_comm

Too bad, I only got to hear a few of the shows, the one on Fukushima and the future of nuclear power was enlightening and also frightening. I did like the opening "Departure" by the Moody Blues, seemed appropriate.

Edited by Sundew

Why does he HAVE to have streaming? Just go back to being radio period.

• Like 1

Disappointing that I never even heard about this show until it was over :cry: .

• Like 1

I think someone should make a radio show in the airplane that's flying in the sky searching for flying saucers and trying to interview them. So every show begins with airplane lifting off and ends with taking down.

• Like 1

Why does he HAVE to have streaming? Just go back to being radio period.

That is because there was not enough subscribers of Sirius XM radio to give the show a comfortable audience. It is 15,99$ a month to have access to the show on air. Not everyone can afford that.

According to artbell.com:

- For a “caller driven” show, the caller pool for art’s show is just too small.

That's why he wanted a free streaming live for people around the world to listen and call. But obviously Sirius, as business, didn't agree to that, why would they?

Art Bell needs to come back to the old style AM/FM bands and offer a live stream or else become an underground blogtalk radio.

Edited by sam_comm

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I liked old Art shows more, something wasn't the same with this new one.

Was his deal with Sirius based on how many words he said during each show? He never shut the hell up and allow a guest to make his point! Time after time the guest would spend time laying a foundation then just before the payoff Art would suddenly interrupt thus destroying the moment! Guests seldom ever recovered from his breaking in causing the entire interview ruined, imo

The whole thing just seemed to be some sort of victory dance over owners of Coast to Coast AM.

• 1 month later...

I never even knew about this show. I will have to check it out on youtube. I listen to the somewhere in time old episodes when they are on and was a listener for several years back when he was the host when I was a repo man prowling the night.Recently I have been wondering if his outlook towards government "conspiracies" has changed much with all the information that has come to light since Noory has taken over.

Edited by Pinche Gringo

Did his show end or did it just end on Sirrus XM?

Art does have a rather cult following, not what we'd call mainstream.

Did his show end or did it just end on Sirrus XM?

Art does have a rather cult following, not what we'd call mainstream.

The show Dark Matters hosted by Art Bell no longer air. The issue is related to the streaming of the show online, where Art Bell wanted a free streaming online so that people in America and around the world could listen it live for free and the pool of callers would be greater than it was. Sirius XM disagreed. Art Bell felt he could no longer host the show in these conditions.

Apparently, he cannot go back on air due to a 2 years non-compete clause in his contract with Sirius XM. The non-compete close will be challenged in court according to Art bell. So, the fans might have to wait until the clause expired.

See: http://ghostradio.wo...il-to-siriusxm/

Edited by sam_comm

• 3 weeks later...

I feel sorry for Art Bell...he's been successful launching Coast-to-Coast AM in the 80s to become one of the most listened to radio programs in the nation. Sirius XM doesn't cover a wider audience like terrestrial radio does and paranormal radio programs aren't a novelty than it was 20-some years ago when Bell hosted Coast-to-Coast AM.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Disappointing that I never even heard about this show until it was over :cry: .

That make's two of us.

Bummer, Art Bell help's pass a dull night.

Guess it's back to hooker's and booze for that problem.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

He will be back. It's ok to move on from Sirius! No what you like, know what you don't and move on!

(I'll be back.") you know who.

-Sunny.