Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Should India be sending a spacecraft to Mars?

Waspie_Dwarf

Should India being sending a spacecraft to Mars  

8 members have voted

1. 1. How much of a space programme should India have?

• India should be free to have a space programme as they see fit
    • India should have a space programme limited to projects which directly benefit the people
    • India has no place in space
  2. 2. How will India's Mars Orbiter Mission benefit the nation?

• It will improve India's image abroad
    • it will give the Indian people pride in their achievement
    • It will help India become a more technologically advanced nation
    • It will help India financially as it will boost their commercial space interests
    • It will not help India at all

India has a flourishing space industry. Since they launched their first satellite in 1980 it has launched weather satellites and earth observation satellites which have helped to improve the nation's agriculture. It has launched communications satellites which have allowed telephones and televisions to come to even the most remote village.

Controversially India has now started Lunar and Martian exploration.

Many consider that India is wasting money that could be spent on helping the poor. The counter argument is that if India is to help the poor it must modernise it's economy and it's space programme will help do that.

my personal view is that India is being unfairly singled out. There is not a nation on Earth that doesn't have poor. I believe that India has the right to a technological future and that high-tech projects will ultimately benefit the nation. India is following the path that China took on it's way to becoming one of the largest economies on the planet.

I am starting this poll to see what others think.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typo.
  • Like 1

Well I think you know my stance on this one.

Enough said.

Edited by freetoroam

Looking back on the "trickle down" effects of the US Space Program (Mercury, Gemini and Apollo), it very well could improve things for the people of India - however - most of the technology they would

imploy will probably already exist - so it might not boost their technology as much as they might hope... If the bulk of the components of the rocket, guidance, etc are manufactured in India then it very well

could provide many new - high tech - jobs... but if they are going to import the electronics, and other equipment, then -again- they might not get the boost they should...

I do wish they would improve the nations general health and sanitation levels (or at least what I preceive to be their levels), but yes I do think they have the "right" to do as they see fit - not as some

guy on a computer in Oklahoma thinks they should (talkin' about me there ;) )

(On a slightly silly note) Of course they have over 1 billion people - pretty much living ontop of each other... Maybe they want to go to Mars so they can put the excess people somewhere...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 1

First: Its none of our business!

Two: India hasnt looked after the poor in the past, why would they in the future? The Rich will ALWAYS be too weathy, and the poor will always be too poor. There is no middle ground there.

Three: As waspie as mentioned, It has already helped the country by way of agriculture and telecommunications. More will develop there due to the economical increase the programme can attract.