Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What if all the world's ice melted?

Still Waters

The maps here show the world as it is now, with only one difference: All the ice on land has melted and drained into the sea, raising it 216 feet and creating new shorelines for our continents and inland seas.

http://ngm.nationalg...-ice-melted-map

wed be screwed

wed be screwed

Not me.. I'm building an Ark.

$1000 bucks and you have a seat reserved.. I know you can afford it ? :whistle:

• Like 2

I will just have to get a longer anchor for my boat. :whistle:

DARN!!! I missed out there Sir Rup....................Kannin, $950 and you can have 2 seats on mine. ;)

Hmmmm, looks like the part of the UK I'm from would be ok, so my house would probably more then quadruple in value :tu:

DARN!!! I missed out there Sir Rup....................Kannin, $950 and you can have 2 seats on mine. ;)

any day! make sure theres lots of female counterparts XD

For several reasons I doubt we'll have to worry about water getting that high.

First, it is awfully hard to figure out exactly how much water is still in the ice caps and the few remaining temperate-zone glaciers.

Second, one has to have a pretty good estimate of the remaining available volume to put that water in. Even if one assumes a 100-meter rise in sea levels, there is still a large part of Florida in the area around Gainesville that would still be above water - an island, to be sure, but still above water.

Third, before the last Antarctic glacier melts, it is highly likely we will have produced an ecosystem collapse that seriously endangers our continued existence. Rising sea levels may be the least of our problems - if we're even around to care about it.

Doug

• Like 1

For several reasons I doubt we'll have to worry about water getting that high.

First, it is awfully hard to figure out exactly how much water is still in the ice caps and the few remaining temperate-zone glaciers.

Second, one has to have a pretty good estimate of the remaining available volume to put that water in. Even if one assumes a 100-meter rise in sea levels, there is still a large part of Florida in the area around Gainesville that would still be above water - an island, to be sure, but still above water.

Third, before the last Antarctic glacier melts, it is highly likely we will have produced an ecosystem collapse that seriously endangers our continued existence. Rising sea levels may be the least of our problems - if we're even around to care about it.

Doug

I believe there is a program or device that measures the ice by scans or something and charts aswell

Most of currently habitable Australia seems to come through ok - and we get an inland lake where there was once only desert outback, come on down lots of new shorefront property will be up for grabs.

Can I bring my laptop with me ?

Back in the days of Radio, there was a commentator (sorry, can't remember which one) who scared the whey out of 'child me' by going off on a riff about what would happen if all the salmon spawned survived to maturity. Ended up with the entire surface of the Earth six feet deep in salmon, or something like that.

Since then I have learned to take these 'what-if' predictions with a grain of salt. :rolleyes:

Edited by PersonFromPorlock