Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFO 'Donut' Caught on ISS Live Video

seeder

A strange, donut-shaped, transparent UFO was spotted in a video made from the NASA International Space Station (ISS) live stream on November 4.

The video, posted to USTREAM.com, lasts for about three hours. But it's around the 1:38:00 mark that the weird, ring-shaped unidentified flying object appears. After morphing into a crescent shape and changing colors for about five minutes, the object suddenly disappears from view.

The disappearance coincides with the ISS flying over the Terminator, the line separating day from night and clearly visible from space. Whoever made the video must have had a purpose. Were they aware that the object would appear during that time period?

http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981963083

Watch vid here, ffwd to 1.38 and keep watching

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/40481898

ufo+donut+iss.jpg

• Like 1

DUH-DUH-DUH-DUUUUUUHHHH!! i just tried to watch it, but the screen stayed black. In the comments below there was a youtube link for this vid, but when i clicked on that, i was told the content "is not available"......!

Cover up or Jacques' crappy hardware?? YOU DECIDE! :whistle:

• Like 1

DUH-DUH-DUH-DUUUUUUHHHH!! i just tried to watch it, but the screen stayed black. In the comments below there was a youtube link for this vid, but when i clicked on that, i was told the content "is not available"......!

Cover up or Jacques' crappy hardware?? YOU DECIDE! :whistle:

MIB silencing the internet again? :lol:

Try this one

http://www.ufocasebook.com/2013/ufo-donut-caught-on-ISS-live-video.html

thanks for the other link, man! :tu: didn't work though, i guess it's got something to do with my work computer still running on windows 2000...

what struck me though when i watched the still was that it slightly resembles those so-called "UFOs" from that notorious NASA "tether incident"...that was explained, right? could it be the same phenomenon? Gaaahh... i leave it to you guys with 21st century gear for now.....

I will be keen to hear Jim's take on it, but as sunlight affects it, surely it has to be a camera defect? They say a lens flare is ruled out, and reflection, but as you say, it does remind one of the STS ice particles. Condensation on the camera lens maybe?

Also, the object appears to reflect sunlight and travels at a relative, constant distance from the ISS as well as maintaining a consistent speed.

• Like 1

Dunno about this particular one, but some ISS camera lenses have a central obstruction (just like mirror (or reflex or catadioptric) lenses), which means all out of focus objects (usually that means things quite close to the camera) will be donuts. It certainly looks like a bokeh donut... Eg, here's some from one of my old 'cat' lenses:

gallery_95887_13_5293.jpg

same thing, except this lens had a quite large central obstruction hence the skinnier donuts, and the stuff causing the donuts (which are sunlit sparkles on water) was far away rather than close.

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 4

And here it is caught on radar

article-1373605-0B7D7B3900000578-814_634x424.jpg

Nah sorry folks its not got anything to do with the ISS, Im just kidding...But after Chrlzs's photo shows the donuts anomaly I had a quick google search to see if I can find more, the above was one of them but is a known radar anomaly

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1373605/An-icing-The-mysterious-doughnut-shaped-clouds-really-mea.html

And I found another similar over someone's HOUSE!...

So for sure its got to be something to do with the camera/lenses.... And as other have said, Jim O will put the story straight

DonutOrb.jpg

Tell you what though, that clip was 3 hours long and not much happening, so 'credit' to whoever patiently watched it all - and found the above couple of mins of donut flying ...

• Like 1

Isn't it amazing how an inexperienced amateur observer here on earth, with not a clue about photography, lenses, optics, imaging, space sciences, orbital mechanics, operational aspects of a spacecraft, etc, etc, can pore over video footage like this, and spot something that looks odd and they don't understand...

no, wait, it's not that amazing.

BTW, I note that TOM ROSE is responsible for an awful lot of these UFO videos, and he never seems to give a source (as in who spotted the anomaly). So I wonder if he is the person I described above?

• Like 2

I'm sure it's dust within the mechanism, but I will defer to those more knowledgeable in camera optics.

I'm sure it's dust within the mechanism, but I will defer to those more knowledgeable in camera optics.

Close.. but these blobs usually move across the field of view - which means they aren't on/in the camera/lens. It's usually ice or similar debris, often sunlit, that is drifting past the window quite close to the camera. Because the camera is focused pretty much on Infinity so as to image the earth below, the little bright nearby speck is thrown out of focus. The shape of the out of focus blob (technically called 'bokeh') is determined largely by the lens' design.

I would think a reflection or a lens thing.. i notice the appearance and disappearance of the "donut" coincides with the brightness of the sunLIGHT in the view.

..and it never moves... it remains stationary in relation to the ISS.

Notice though .. that clouds pass OVER the donut... how does that happen if it's a lens or reflection thingy going on ??? .. ???

I saw an energy donut in the 70's .. It's movements were unexplainable really.

Edited by lightly

Isn't it amazing how an inexperienced amateur observer here on earth, with not a clue about photography, lenses, optics, imaging, space sciences, orbital mechanics, operational aspects of a spacecraft, etc, etc, can pore over video footage like this, and spot something that looks odd and they don't understand...

no, wait, it's not that amazing.

BTW, I note that TOM ROSE is responsible for an awful lot of these UFO videos, and he never seems to give a source (as in who spotted the anomaly). So I wonder if he is the person I described above?

OK so on that bit of name info I went back to the OP link

http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981963083

At the bottom of the article its says "Image courtesy of NASA and Blogger" The 'Blogger' bit...is a link to this blog

http://glancealotlinks.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/donut-ufo-spotted-on-iss-live-video.html

And straight away we see " Posted by Tom Rose at 3:06 PM".

So I googled up 'Tom Rose + UFO' and found this list of stuff by the same man

http://www.examiner.com/user-trose11209

A strange, donut-shaped, transparent UFO was spotted in a video made from the NASA International Space Station (ISS) live stream on November 4.

The video, posted to USTREAM.com, lasts for about three hours. But it's around the 1:38:00 mark that the weird, ring-shaped unidentified flying object appears. After morphing into a crescent shape and changing colors for about five minutes, the object suddenly disappears from view.

The disappearance coincides with the ISS flying over the Terminator, the line separating day from night and clearly visible from space. Whoever made the video must have had a purpose. Were they aware that the object would appear during that time period?

http://news.gather.c...281474981963083

Watch vid here, ffwd to 1.38 and keep watching

http://www.ustream.t...corded/40481898

Just some effect of the camera. Nothing remotely like a UFO.

• Like 1

Just some effect of the camera. Nothing remotely like a UFO.

he says after we have all offered potential explanations... and 'nothing like a UFO'? Really, what are UFO's really like then? And no dont start pasting endless pics pls

That looks a lot like the ice particles from a shuttle video people claimed were UFOs.

Actually, the correct interpretation means it most assuredly is a UFO. No-one can be certain exactly what it is, except that it is near the camera and fairly brightly lit - so... Unidentified.

Sadly, a couple of folks on this forum always deliberately MISUSE that term.

• Like 1

Actually, the correct interpretation means it most assuredly is a UFO. No-one can be certain exactly what it is, except that it is near the camera and fairly brightly lit - so... Unidentified.

Wait, so you are saying that UFO does not mean ET? I'm confused...... :D

• Like 1

I went to www.isstracker.com website, but nothing there could I find about the donut space thingy. All this talk about donuts is just going to make me hungry.

Edited by spacelizard667
  • Like 1

That looks a lot like the ice particles from a shuttle video people claimed were UFOs.

wasn't the premise re ice particles a claim too?

p.s. mind you, i'm not claiming that the bokehs were alien spaceships

i haven't seen the video in the op yet... but seeing that references were made to the sts-75 case, i wanted to ask whether the bokehs always represent particles reflecting out-of-focus light close to the camera or could they also be from objects further away?

1887d918ed2b.gif

he says after we have all offered potential explanations... and 'nothing like a UFO'? Really, what are UFO's really like then? And no dont start pasting endless pics pls

Zoser said (if I may paraphrase) that after you see a few UFO's you begin to recognize them because they don't look like anything else.

I assumed he was talking about UFO's he had seen on television.

• Like 1

i haven't seen the video in the op yet... but seeing that references were made to the sts-75 case, i wanted to ask whether the bokehs always represent particles reflecting out-of-focus light close to the camera or could they also be from objects further away?

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=257473entry4973913

A good percentage of UFO's are not from this world. That conclusion is unavoidable.A

Edited by zoser