Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Brain in dish' acts as autopilot

UM-Bot

news icon rA University of Florida scientist has grown a living “brain” that can fly a simulated plane, giving scientists a novel way to observe how brain cells function as a network. The “brain” -- a collection of 25,000 living neurons, or nerve cells, taken from a rat’s brain and cultured inside a glass dish -- gives scientists a unique real-time window into the brain at the cellular level.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: UF Scientist

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• Xenojjin

• ROGER

• Deimos

alien.gif And when they are done with rat brains, they will work up to human brains.

Then brains that are self aware. Then put them in our machines for better control. Then we will have to make laws on how to treat these new beings.

And on and on. When will they ask, ( If we should, rather than if we can).

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions and ideas. I am against this one!

Roger

Im not against this ... why would you be against this ? You dont know what the road to hell is any more then anyone else . Bannanas need to be banned ? They seem innocent ... but I can assure you those vile yellow beings are pure evil . Evil !

oh yes those bananas are trully evil!

I believe that this is a really great experiement which we can learn so much from!

I don't see why research should not continue on this subject but, it does open the door to the whole"playing God" scenario.

I don't see why research should not continue on this subject but, it does open the door to the whole"playing God" scenario.

327263[/snapback]

You may be right about the "playing God" part, but its interesting to see how the more advanced scientists research capabilities become, the more humanity begins to see the all is a product of inconcievably intelligent master, God, if you will. That leads into another discussion I guess. But I digress. Personally, I feel like its not playing God, but thats my opinion and a pretty immediate one at that.

You may be right about the "playing God" part, but its interesting to see how the more advanced scientists research capabilities become, the more humanity begins to see the all is a product of inconcievably intelligent master, God, if you will.

No, it does not.

Technology seems to be going from inorganic components towards organic components. We're on our way to creating living robots.

Im not against this ... why would you be against this ? You dont know what the road to hell is any more then anyone else . Bannanas need to be banned ? They seem innocent ... but I can assure you those vile yellow beings are pure evil . Evil !

325004[/snapback]

AI would take over the world. Watch the Terminator.

alien.gif And when they are done with rat brains, they will work up to human brains.

Then brains that are self aware.  Then put them in our machines for better control.  Then we will have to make laws on how to treat these new beings.

And on and on.  When will they ask, ( If we should, rather than if we can).

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions and ideas. I am against this one!

Roger

324570[/snapback]

I kind of agree with roger on this. I think that they should fly plane by remote, not have Brains do it. And if they do expand and start using them in machines, that would be a trip