Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Syria polio outbreak is a threat to Europe

Still Waters

An outbreak of polio in Syria represents a public health threat to Europe, experts have warned for the first time, as the World Health Organisation announced a huge vaccination programme to stop the disease taking hold across the Middle East.

The WHO said that European countries should consider scaling up surveillance for the disease and ensure that vulnerable communities are vaccinated, as it escalated its response to the first polio outbreak in Syria since 1999.

http://www.independe...ak-8927728.html

• Like 1

And for this reason, refuges should not be allowed in unless they have been tested first. There should be no "but what about their human rights?" cases. The leaders have to protect everyone and if it means quarantine in their own country, then so be it if they can not vaccinate them all.

• Like 3

And for this reason, refuges should not be allowed in unless they have been tested first. There should be no "but what about their human rights?" cases. The leaders have to protect everyone and if it means quarantine in their own country, then so be it if they can not vaccinate them all.

impossible

impossible

If it was achieved here then why not there? THe vaccines are available. Why put everyone else at risk?

Trust me if someone even suspects they have it and yet are still willing to take the chance of spreading it to others, then we can do without them coming and the sympathy count on my part is very low.

If someone wants to go to another country they should atleast head straight to the hospital first, for not only their sakes, but for every adult and CHILD in that country.

• Like 2

If it was achieved here then why not there? THe vaccines are available. Why put everyone else at risk?

Trust me if someone even suspects they have it and yet are still willing to take the chance of spreading it to others, then we can do without them coming and the sympathy count on my part is very low.

If someone wants to go to another country they should atleast head straight to the hospital first, for not only their sakes, but for every adult and CHILD in that country.

Syria is to vast, you need everyone to get involved, you need protection from attacks, money. not everyone will want to be treated

Syria is to vast, you need everyone to get involved, you need protection from attacks, money. not everyone will want to be treated

For those who do not want to be treated and yet are willing to put others at risk, there should be no sympathy. Force them to have the vaccine or lock them away from the innocent population within Europe. Syria may be vast, but to leave Syria for other countries will increase the problem on an even vaster scale.

• Like 2

For those who do not want to be treated and yet are willing to put others at risk, there should be no sympathy. Force them to have the vaccine or lock them away from the innocent population within Europe. Syria may be vast, but to leave Syria for other countries will increase the problem on an even vaster scale.

you can't, nations will blame each other and ww3 starts

you can't, nations will blame each other and ww3 starts

So we put our children and adults at risk instead? No nation can blame us for trying to protect ourselves.

I am not saying let those people suffer, I am saying do not allow them to spread it and endanger an even wider area. The vaccines are out there, give it to them, and as I said for those who do npt want it, keep them away from others.

• Like 2

I have to side with freetoroam on this one. Neither option is particularly appealing, but in this case we have to put sentimentality aside and go with the lesser of to evils: treatment or turn away. I would also argue that this wouldn't be much of a debate if the disease in question was something a little more deadly, Bubonic Plague for example.

Edited by DecoNoir
  • Like 3

So we put our children and adults at risk instead? No nation can blame us for trying to protect ourselves.

I am not saying let those people suffer, I am saying do not allow them to spread it and endanger an even wider area. The vaccines are out there, give it to them, and as I said for those who do npt want it, keep them away from others.

Here in the UK, we've already had our lifestyle 'enriched' by increases in cases of TB, Malaria, Leprosy, HIV etc, imported by immigration (both legal and illegal), so I suppose we'll be the ones to have to cope with Syrian polio, and Heaven only knows what that next lot are going to bring with them in January!

• Like 3

It's a war zone. They don't have enough medical supplies to take care of the wounded, let alone vaccinations for everyone there.

• Like 2

It's a war zone. They don't have enough medical supplies to take care of the wounded, let alone vaccinations for everyone there.

Then the leaders of the world should send them vaccinations, NOT allow them to go to other countries infected and put others at risk.

Can you imagine if it spreads across Europe, THEN there will not be enough vaccinations for everyone.

I cannot believe that some people think the solution is to allow them to put OUR children at risk too, please tell me that is not what you are suggesting as away of solving this problem?

• Like 1

Here in the UK, we've already had our lifestyle 'enriched' by increases in cases of TB, Malaria, Leprosy, HIV etc, imported by immigration (both legal and illegal), so I suppose we'll be the ones to have to cope with Syrian polio, and Heaven only knows what that next lot are going to bring with them in January!

Give yourself a pat on the back for being so generous, we paid for it and will be doing so in the future, but rest assured if we caught it and needed treatment, we would be last on the list to get a bed........because they have either all been taken up by the immigrants who came here with it or the money has finally run out to be able to look after us who paid into the system since I was a 18!!

best stay off this topic now, I can feel my blood rising, do not want to end up in hospital any sooner than I have to.

• Like 2

over 95% of the British population is vaccinated against polio. anyone born from 1950 onwards would have received their vaccination at some point. I've had three vaccinations against polio. first one when i was 2 months old. then again age five and my final one aged 13. im guessing the same government procedure is in place today.

i dont know how much the UK is at risk. i guess its minimal. i know the headline says Europe at risk, so maybe its the poorer countries in Europe will struggle with a outbreak.

Luckily most developed nations in Europe vaccinate their populations against it (at least those born and raised there).

The main risk is to immigrants living in those countries who were never vaccinated. What happens is the people who are vaccinated can become carriers and the diseases target those who are vulnerable.

Edited by Finity