Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Which of the 11 American nations ?

questionmark

Red states and blue states? Flyover country and the coasts? How simplistic. Colin Woodard, a reporter at the Portland Press Herald and author of several books, says North America can be broken neatly into 11 separate nation-states, where dominant cultures explain our voting behaviors and attitudes toward everything from social issues to the role of government.

“The borders of my eleven American nations are reflected in many different types of maps — including maps showing the distribution of linguistic dialects, the spread of cultural artifacts, the prevalence of different religious denominations, and the county-by-county breakdown of voting in virtually every hotly contested presidential race in our history,” Woodard writes in the Fall 2013 issue of Tufts University’s alumni magazine. “Our continent’s famed mobility has been reinforcing, not dissolving, regional differences, as people increasingly sort themselves into like-minded communities.”

Read more

I live in the greatest country on Earth...Texas!

• Like 3

That's fascinating - makes you wonder if the country will devolve into a Europe style continent with many Independent countries over the coming centuries. I notice a pattern in human behaviour - we centralize, then don't like it and de-centralize, find we don't like that and centralize again (happens alot in the business world at least).

• Like 2

I come from the Deep South - which region seems to be distasteful to the author according to his language but he does nail us for our independence. I reject his final premise about the who and the how of the "controlling levers" of federal power being secured. He doesn't take into account the universal human tendency toward greed and sloth. THOSE traits seem to be catered to by more and more politicians, regardless their historic geographic origin. The federal power HAS been grabbed and is apt to remain in the hands of those who take from the producers and give to those who do not produce. That is until the produce dwindles to insignificance.

• Like 3

I've come across this before but didn't connect to the link. My 'country', which, I believe is called "Cascadia" (the Pacific North West) includes northern California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, the Yukon and Alaska.

We are very similar in a lot of ways and I also think that it would be a financialy viable nation (though a little shy of people). Don't get me wrong, I love my country, but I could see it happening in a few hundred years.

One thing I would not recommend is that the United States start adding to its territory, even if wanted by the residents of that territory.

And the great nation of El Norte will put a guacamole embargo on our neighbors until they kneel!

• Like 3

That's fascinating - makes you wonder if the country will devolve into a Europe style continent with many Independent countries over the coming centuries. I notice a pattern in human behaviour - we centralize, then don't like it and de-centralize, find we don't like that and centralize again (happens alot in the business world at least).

If you leave the teaparty and certain libertarians do their thing it will not take centuries.

• Like 1

One thing I would not recommend is that the United States start adding to its territory, even if wanted by the residents of that territory.

What *do* you recommend?

Especially in that case... what would you recommend?

I disagree. I think the US should annex Mexico and get all their jobs back.

• Like 1

I disagree. I think the US should annex Mexico and get all their jobs back.

Maybe not, they have more unemployed than jobs,