Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A simple concept but hard to be an accident

danielost

I have a question.

How did man figuare out how to make bread? As the title says it is a simple concept but nearly impossible for it to be an accident. If you eat grains straight you end up with ground up grain not flour or dough.

I can buy the accidental popped popcorn, drop an ear ia fire. Or cooked meat the same thing. But bread takes planning and you can't drop water on to grain and get dough.

Any ideas.

• Like 2

Maybe someone, long ago, was grinding some grain and wondered what would happen if he/she mixed this and that together and tried to cook/bake it.

After all it seems that many of the things we have today were discovered either by accident or were the results of some casual experiments.

Maybe..

• Like 1

Just think if the earl of sandwich had had a fork, he wouldn't have needed to make the first sandwich.

• Like 1

It could have been seemingly accidental.

Say, a guy lost few teeth and had to crush his grains. Then surprise rain fell and his ground up grains got wet. He sat there in rain, all disappointed and his wife took pity on clumsy toothless idiot and decided to dry his grains by the fire. Collected the wet proto-flour by her hands and placed it on a rock near the fire pit. Then some emergency happened and they forgot about the wet flour that got slightly burnt by the time they remembered about it.

Being hungry, guy tried his apparently cursed grains and found out it tastes just fine and decided to deliberately grind, wet and burn them next time.

His bad luck continued and on some other occasion not only there was an emergency, but it lasted for so long his wet flour got all mouldy by the time they got back to the cave. The mould was actually the yeast and there you go. Bread.

But nothing happens by accident.

I don’t think higher power talks to people, we are mostly too stupid to understand each other, let alone anyone more complex, and history teaches us any attempt of higher power to directly communicate with humans ends up with disastrous misunderstandings and total misuse, so it’s the strains of accidents that shape our history and drag us, kicking and screaming, towards some development.

That's why the Universe decided to make Sandwich compulsive gambler who didn’t want to leave gambling table not even to eat so we can have sandwich invented.

Edited by Helen of Annoy
  • Like 3

I like that but don't agree with some of it.

Of course.

I don’t agree with myself on everything in my own post, but I’m pretty sure it was all started by toothless and clumsy people, with some providence working for them through series of bizarre coincidences that were not coincidental at all.

See? Sounds close to my theory :D

A possibility that comes to mind is that some one was chewing grain around a fire and spat some on to hot rocks...ergo...bread!

I ask a similar question about whatever possessed the first lobster-eater to give that baby a whirl. . .

I ask a similar question about whatever possessed the first lobster-eater to give that baby a whirl. . .

Or the first person to fish a clam out of the water and say, " These slimy innards look good. I'm going to shove them down my throat."

• Like 1

Or the first person to fish a clam out of the water and say, " These slimy innards look good. I'm going to shove them down my throat."

All that would take would be extreme hunger or curiosity.

I think somebody spilled his porridge on a hot rock and invented the proto-pancake. Then he tried his mash potatoes and invented tater cakes. :yes:

All that would take would be extreme hunger or curiosity.

I know, and in all likely hood such fresh water animals were no doubt a normal part of some hominids diets, so it's actually rather easily explained.

• Like 1

It could have been seemingly accidental.

Say, a guy lost few teeth and had to crush his grains. Then surprise rain fell and his ground up grains got wet. He sat there in rain, all disappointed and his wife took pity on clumsy toothless idiot and decided to dry his grains by the fire. Collected the wet proto-flour by her hands and placed it on a rock near the fire pit. Then some emergency happened and they forgot about the wet flour that got slightly burnt by the time they remembered about it.

Being hungry, guy tried his apparently cursed grains and found out it tastes just fine and decided to deliberately grind, wet and burn them next time.

His bad luck continued and on some other occasion not only there was an emergency, but it lasted for so long his wet flour got all mouldy by the time they got back to the cave. The mould was actually the yeast and there you go. Bread.

I like your toothless clumsy man scenario Helen :D

The toothless idiot could have also spilled his crushed grain porridge on a stone/rock in the hot sun and left it there for a couple of hours. When he came back later it had started to rise, looked weird, and his (im)patient wife threw it in the fire embers. An hour later the discarded goo started to smell nice, tasted 'not bad' and he could carry it around without needing a container...They tried to repeat the process on the same stone (which still had remains of the previous spilled porridge) but that time the 'porridge' rose even more than before, and tasted better..et voila, leavened bread!

"Sun-baked" bread is still a tradition in Upper Egyptian villages until now

http://www.thebanmap...ticle_15.4.html

Edited by meryt-tetisheri
  • Like 1

I think early man would've eaten raw fish as casually and naturally as a grizzly bear would.

Edited by F3SS

I like that but don't agree with some of it.

How can you not believe her? She was an eye-witness!

How can you not believe her? She was an eye-witness!

At least I had my teeth at that time, when you lied you lost them in attempt to domesticate horse.

We all knew you actually lost them trying to milk a bull instead of a cow, which is not something you should be blamed for, because all the animals were so hairy back then.

• Like 1

At least I had my teeth at that time, when you lied you lost them in attempt to domesticate horse.

We all knew you actually lost them trying to milk a bull instead of a cow, which is not something you should be blamed for, because all the animals were so hairy back then.

The bull was really pleased though!

s9967.gif

"Yus, I'm really pleased."

• Like 1