Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

learning new skills

danielost

It seems that some animals are getting smarter and learning new skills. I don't have any links.

Everyone has heard of the troop of monkeys who swim in hot springs to stay warm in winter, in japan. There is another troop of monkeys there that has learned how to wash their potatos off before eating them. In the process they have learned to enjoy the taste that salt gives them.

In alaska some brown bears have learne to dive to catch salmon.

In asia another troop of monkeys has learned that charcoal helps with a tummy ache.

Yes, animals are getting smarter, are we.

• Like 1

No, more like ten years ago, except for polar bears which have been diving for long time.

No, more like ten years ago, except for polar bears which have been diving for long time.

Where's your evidence that these animals have only picked these up in the last decade?

I saw it on animal planet. I can't find it on line. I am guessing ten years because that s when they filmed it, I think.

I actually thought people want evidence of monkeies stealing charcoal for an upset tummy.

Hard to say if those are new behaviors or just only recently observed, but either way animals learn new behaviors all the time as they adapt to their environments.

Here is a video of a Crow putting nuts in the path of cars so they are crushed.

• Like 2