Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Death Ray.

George Ford

Been watching a documentary and he very briefly mentioned the Japanese were building a 'Death Ray' but it was destroyed by one of the nuclear bombs .

So I wiki searched for Japanese death ray and there is some very brief info and it is on a list of experimental Japanese weaponry. under the name:- Death Ray "Ku-Go".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_and_special_weapons_in_Showa_Japan#Special_Weapons_technology_of_local_design

Then I typed in Death Ray and again then is some vague information on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_ray

Does any one have any more information on Death Ray experiments? Apparently Nikola Tesla also built one and then someone guy called Ewin R Scott, built one for the military but it wouldn't work.

I followed some of the links in the wiki page but like this one

:- http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,720718,00.html

it gives virtually no info as a sample and then you have to subscribe and pay to get the rest of the article.

You have these laser guns than fire inferred lasers than burn your skin, the U.S used them in Iraq I believe

We know Tesla was supposed to be experimenting with all sorts of things, but that's the first I've heard of this supposed Japanese idea. Some mad inventor tried to promote a "Dealth Ray" in the 1930s for use against aircraft, but I think that was more in the manner of an electronic jamming device. Plus it never actually worked.

Well one of the articles mentions a magnatron and microwave. So they are just large powerful microwaves that can aim?

I think that was the general idea, but it was to interfere with aircraft electrical systems rather than to like vapourise them. The amount of power that would have been necessary to make microwaves strong enough to do anything at any distance would have been well out of reach of the technology available, I'd have thought.

I must say, there are some fiendishly cunning sounding schemes there, aren't there.

• High Voltage Weapon "Ka-Go"
  • High voltage net launching rocket "Kate-Go" This is a rocket weapon which is connected to a length of piano wire. After launching, it expands over the enemy's head, and applies a high voltage to the piano wire. The voltage was from 2,500-5,000 V. But the launching distance is short.
  • A plan to make artificial thunderclouds gather called "U-Go" U-go planned to use a powdered dust explosion to create thunderclouds. The project was canceled.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh

I think that was the general idea, but it was to interfere with aircraft electrical systems rather than to like vapourise them. The amount of power that would have been necessary to make microwaves strong enough to do anything at any distance would have been well out of reach of the technology available, I'd have thought.

I must say, there are some fiendishly cunning sounding schemes there, aren't there.

• High Voltage Weapon "Ka-Go"
  • High voltage net launching rocket "Kate-Go" This is a rocket weapon which is connected to a length of piano wire. After launching, it expands over the enemy's head, and applies a high voltage to the piano wire. The voltage was from 2,500-5,000 V. But the launching distance is short.
  • A plan to make artificial thunderclouds gather called "U-Go" U-go planned to use a powdered dust explosion to create thunderclouds. The project was canceled.

The Japanese probably canceled the project, but I bet the Allies took all the research and started their own projects.

The nearest I would imagine would be a particle accelerator type where you produce a couple of tunnels with the use of 3 lasers per tunel then fire neg and pos particles down each tunnel.

The result should be a flash of elctrical discharge.

Combine this with powdered particles and you should have a very damging result where the contact point on the target is made.

We had a guy here during WW2 who promoted a DeathRay tech to our boffins back then and was granted funds as well as an Island to conduct his research. Failed....

Well one of the articles mentions a magnatron and microwave. So they are just large powerful microwaves that can aim?

Sort of, but instead of heating up pies, it heats up people.

• Like 1

That's the name I was trying to remember, Harry Grindell-Matthews tried to sell what he reported to be a death ray to the British Air Ministry in 1924. He was never able to show a functioning model or demonstrate it to the military.

And here's our old friend Tesla's idea: teleforce

• Like 1

That's the name I was trying to remember, Harry Grindell-Matthews tried to sell what he reported to be a death ray to the British Air Ministry in 1924. He was never able to show a functioning model or demonstrate it to the military.

And here's our old friend Tesla's idea: teleforce

Great links, loved reading about that Harry fellow, sounds like a mixture of mad scientist, showman and trickster/conman. Think they should make a film about him! The point where he would not demonstrate the machine working and only showed film footage of it moving is genius. He had the press believing it all and siding with him, and the military highly skeptical. It was just like some of the threads on these very Forums! Some people will believe whatever they are told as long as it looks or sounds professional, the rest of us are not so easily fooled.