Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is anyone else getting annoyed with texting?

spartan max2

So im 19 and I get the whole texting thing, iv had phases were I have done it a lot but honestly now I am starting to getting annoyed. Some people just text CONSTANTLY and it seems like they don't even pay attention to the moment. its starting to bother me when im with people and they start texting a lot.

Im starting to text less and less. Im just curious if all this texting is starting to annoy anyone else? :td:

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 6

It is a fad that will fade enough so that it once again becomes a functional tool.

Sadly I have been in restaurants where people are sitting next to one another but not talking. Instead they are jabbing at buttons on their devices; I mean, what's the point of going with your friends anywhere if they are just going to stare at tiny screens all day long?

I am sure this texting has its uses and I am glad it has been developed but it should not be replacing regular, everyday conversations.

Oh, and texting while at the dinner table at home? Nuh-uh. Shouldn't be allowed. Devices should be off and stay out of the kitchen and dining room.

• Like 2

i really dislike texting with my boyfriend rather than talking on the phone, but that's usually how we communicate when we aren't together.

i don't know too many people who are textaholics thank goodness but my daughter has her face in her phone constantly

Facebook is worse IMO

Nine times out of ten they arnt txting, they are updating their FB, or replying to a alert.

Edited by The Id3al Experience

I am on the opposite side of the universe from "perfect".

But I still have to comment that the worst I've seen is young moms and dads ignoring their own babies, toddlers, preschoolers for FB, phones, etc., to the point of neglect of the child. It is ugly and heartbreaking to watch.

Then the child get a label or two when tested in school or by a doctor and he/she hasn't developed language and social skills.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 2

I've always hated it.

Me too, and I still do.

Most of the time, just calling would be way quicker and easier.

• Like 1

Definitely. I hate texting, even though according to everyone else my age I should love it.

It's just so.. Inconvenient. I only really text when it's an emergency, or I'm letting people know where I am or what I'm doing, like texting a parent so they can pick me up :P

Also, I can't seem to get into the mindset of being addicted to my phone. It's neat and all, and I can play games on it, but I don't like to rely on things. I don't like to carry it with me because I never use it and it just sits there like a brick.

Back on topic: I really hate it when you're with a group of friends and they're all fiddling on their phone, or texting and whatever. When you're with people, you should be interacting and talking with them.

There have been studies done that link shallowness to texting. They just aren't sure if texting causes a person to become shallow, or if shallow people like texting.

Either way, I hate texting. I like real-ness, and talking face to face. Plus it's extremely annoying. Just buzzing all the time, then you have to make up an excuse just so whoever was texting you will stop.

I have far better things to do with my time besides tapping away on a weird little electronic device :/

• Like 2

At first I was against it but since I have tried it and found it very useful at times I have grown to like it.

Being able to receive and leave family members and friends important pieces of info which may be accessed when one is free is great.

It's also very handy to refer back to, instead of having to look for a piece of paper with the info written on it.

There are also times when a pic is worth a thousand words and getting one with a text is almost always fun.

I've also tried the talk-to-text feature and it can save a lot of typing, but can be inaccurate too, which you have to go back and correct sometimes.

I agree though that there are many social situations where you should just put your device away out of courtesy and enjoy being who you're with. A lot depends on how comfortable they are with devices being used.

I think that we're all evolving as a whole being, and as the connections between all of the individual cells (each of us and our devices - pun intended) grows, we have to understand that this is happening.

It is something that is truly marvellous when you think about it...

When I think of when I was a child and how isolated I was from the world, and how now I can connect with so many others around the world in an instant through our common brain - the web, it's amazing...

Texting is all a part of that connectiveness, and it's great too. :)

• Like 1

So im 19 and I get the whole texting thing, iv had phases were I have done it a lot but honestly now I am starting to getting annoyed. Some people just text CONSTANTLY and it seems like they don't even pay attention to the moment. its starting to bother me when im with people and they start texting a lot.

Im starting to text less and less. Im just curious if all this texting is starting to annoy anyone else? :td:

Millions have gone through the same phase - it's nothing new.

Depending on who it is and the situation I'll either call or text - I still text regularly and I'm 26. But I have always attempted to write texts more properly literate with at least some form of punctuation.

The thing that annoys me is people that excessively use acronyms or abbreviations etc.

Wow check out this list of acronyms!: http://www.netlingo.com/acronyms.php

Edit: Proper literacy and punctuation.

Edited by Timonthy
  • Like 1

Why is it that these days if a person has a cell phone or device, they are almost always yaking or jabbing buttons so they can "talk" yet when they are with their families or friends they magically cannot find anything to talk about. They cannot even leave those things at home so they can actually BE with their friends.

What is so interesting and important that people can yak all day long on a phone yet cannot even manage a "Hello" or anything when in talking face-to-face?

Don't misunderstand, I am not against new technology but I have noticed that before cell phones, people went about their lives well enough but now they feel they must have it glued to their heads, blabbing all day long no matter where they are.

Suddenly all these people, who rarely said anything before, now have all sorts of stupid and trivial garbage that they feel they must spew out into the ether whether they are in a store, library, restaurant or even the bathroom.

Odd....

• Like 1

Definitely. I hate texting, even though according to everyone else my age I should love it.

It's just so.. Inconvenient. I only really text when it's an emergency, or I'm letting people know where I am or what I'm doing, like texting a parent so they can pick me up :P

Also, I can't seem to get into the mindset of being addicted to my phone. It's neat and all, and I can play games on it, but I don't like to rely on things. I don't like to carry it with me because I never use it and it just sits there like a brick.

Back on topic: I really hate it when you're with a group of friends and they're all fiddling on their phone, or texting and whatever. When you're with people, you should be interacting and talking with them.

There have been studies done that link shallowness to texting. They just aren't sure if texting causes a person to become shallow, or if shallow people like texting.

Either way, I hate texting. I like real-ness, and talking face to face. Plus it's extremely annoying. Just buzzing all the time, then you have to make up an excuse just so whoever was texting you will stop.

I have far better things to do with my time besides tapping away on a weird little electronic device :/

Like using a keyboard on a message board :w00t:

I text, but not too often. With my daughter when she needs picked up. With my brothers when I have a quick question. I don't get the long text conversations people have where they don't say anything but a few LOL's and stuff.

My daughter has a boyfriend and they never talk on the phone. It's all texts. Seems odd. When I was young, I think I had more feelings for my girlfriend from talking for hours on the phone than anything else (except maybe one thing).

• Like 1

Why is it that these days if a person has a cell phone or device, they are almost always yaking or jabbing buttons so they can "talk" yet when they are with their families or friends they magically cannot find anything to talk about. They cannot even leave those things at home so they can actually BE with their friends.

What is so interesting and important that people can yak all day long on a phone yet cannot even manage a "Hello" or anything when in talking face-to-face?

Don't misunderstand, I am not against new technology but I have noticed that before cell phones, people went about their lives well enough but now they feel they must have it glued to their heads, blabbing all day long no matter where they are.

Suddenly all these people, who rarely said anything before, now have all sorts of stupid and trivial garbage that they feel they must spew out into the ether whether they are in a store, library, restaurant or even the bathroom.

Odd....

Now Facebook is different. While I have an account and enjoy looking at it from time to time, I get annoyed at the people who post crap. "I'm at the gym". "Went shopping today". I don't care!!

I do like Facebook for a couple things. I can keep up with old friends. I can be more aware of what is going on inside my own circle of friends and family. Some of my cousins set up a group where only family is. Family I hadn't talked with in years. Now, through this avenue, we have planned a camping trip next summer. There will be about 50 of us there. Should be fun.

I'm just more of a reader. I don't post much.

• Like 1

I like texting, it's useful. Nice to send random hugs to people or send messages that don't necessarily need attention right away. But then, I live a couple states and a time zone away from where I used to so that might have something to do with it. And I'm not fond of chatting on the phone, so that probably helps too.

I do utterly loathe how some people handle their phones. Like touching their phone and driving- I hated it when it was just phones, extra hate it with texting. Personally, I won't do it. And phone use while at the table- that's a serious peeve of mine. Really rude, kind of tells the people you are with that whatever it is on your phone is far preferable to being in their company.

I don't mind texting depending on the situation. Sometimes it is easier (and cheaper) than calling. Anyone who knows me though knows not to text if they need an immediate reply because I can easily go most of the day without checking my phone or putting it on the charger if it's dead.

• Like 3

I don't mind texting and do it when I'm with others only if I've already been in the middle of a conversation and need to draw it to a close.

I don't mind texting depending on the situation. Sometimes it is easier (and cheaper) than calling. Anyone who knows me though knows not to text if they need an immediate reply because I can easily go most of the day without checking my phone or putting it on the charger if it's dead.

Yeah I have turned off all message notifications so I'm not a slave to my phone. If I really want to get something done without distraction I just put my phone on flight mode for a while.

My girlfriend didn't like it much initially :rofl: but now she respects it (or so she says...).

I've sent maybe 20 text messages in my whole life and I still have a base line flip phone which I barely even use to make phone calls. When I go out, I'm out to socialize. I have a few friends who have made a conscious decision not to glue themselves to their phones when we're out and it's great. Others never get their noses out of them. Although, the numbers that are glued to it are dwindling now that they're starting to realize that they're missing some of these fun events we go to.

Honestly, it doesn't really bother me one way or another... I've made my choice on how I'll behave with my devices, it's up to others to make their choice. Except people who drive and text or talk .... that p***es me off and it's illegal to do in my state.

I really hated texting when I had a bad cell phone plan, and each text costed me $0.50, yet calls were free. It would bother me sometimes when I had a whole conversation with texts.

Texting is useful when you are supposed to be at work and not fooling around on your cell phone though. :innocent:

Now the only texts I hate are the spam texts with the short phone numbers.

I like texting, I certainly dont text as much as I used to but I find it very useful.

Everyone knows I hate talking on the phone and with few exceptions keep the conversations short and sweet. For the others, who have nothing better to do than yack on and on, I'm considering the dreaded texting. It would certainly be less time consuming. On second thought, since my husband already does the textin' thang I'll just get him to send them a quick text. :lol:

Edited by Michelle

lol Michelle. I got my mom and dad texting...well just my mom. My dad actually hands his phone to whoever is handy and dictates the text.