Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hawking disappointed by Higgs boson find

UM-Bot

Professor Stephen Hawking believes that the particle's discovery has made physics 'less interesting'.

The world famous wheelchair-bound physicist revealed his thoughts on the discovery of the Higgs boson during a recent talk at London's Science Museum during the launch of a new exhibit dedicated to providing visitors with a behind-the-scenes look at Cern's Large Hadron Collider.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...iggs-boson-find

I respect Prof Hawking very much, and firmly believe he has more "smarts" in his little toe than I have any where near my brain.... But this comment of his strikes me somewhat the same

way the famous comment made by the head of the US Patent Office made around the year 1900... He suggested to the president that the Patent Office be permanently closed, because

everything new has alread been invented...

Perhaps I am reading his comment out of context (The link wouldn't open for me so I couldn't read the article), or perhaps he was speaking of his own personal interest... But it just

seems so "short sighted"...

• Like 1

I have to disagree with him. I respect him immensely but I want to find the truth. What will scientists think in a billion years (if we are still around) when we discover EVERYTHING there possibly is to know in the universe? Point is, even though it may be less interesting, I'd rather know the truth than wonder why things work the way they work.

• Like 1

I read the article and I interpret his remarks as toungue-in-cheek. Hawking has a wry sense of humor and his jokes don't always play the way he assumes I think :). In a sense I agree with his contention that if the Higgs wasn't found then physics would be more interesting because there would be a need for more exotic solutions to the existence of mass. I didn't see anything negative in his remarks however, just good natured banter over a bet.

• Like 1

I read the article and I interpret his remarks as toungue-in-cheek. Hawking has a wry sense of humor and his jokes don't always play the way he assumes I think :). In a sense I agree with his contention that if the Higgs wasn't found then physics would be more interesting because there would be a need for more exotic solutions to the existence of mass. I didn't see anything negative in his remarks however, just good natured banter over a bet.

This is what I got from the article as well.

I respect Prof Hawking very much, and firmly believe he has more "smarts" in his little toe than I have any where near my brain.... But this comment of his strikes me somewhat the same

way the famous comment made by the head of the US Patent Office made around the year 1900... He suggested to the president that the Patent Office be permanently closed, because

everything new has alread been invented...

Perhaps I am reading his comment out of context (The link wouldn't open for me so I couldn't read the article), or perhaps he was speaking of his own personal interest... But it just

seems so "short sighted"...

That was in 1848, not 1900

• Like 1

The link wont open for me either... what does the Higgs Boson particle tell us? I don't remember actually reading what it would mean for science, just that they want to find it.

The link wont open for me either... what does the Higgs Boson particle tell us? I don't remember actually reading what it would mean for science, just that they want to find it.

I think it explains why bread always falls butter side down...

It reminds Higgs how to turn the Bose speakers on.

Harte

• Like 2

That was in 1848, not 1900

I know it is off topic, but can you provide a link that shows it was actually said (nevermind the year)? I've heard that one from time to time, but thought it was debunked.

saying that it would be more interesting if it was never found is kind if like the mentality of religious belief. science is about finding facts. why be disappointed when you find them?

• Like 1

I think the widespread idea in physics was that when the Higgs Boson was found it would have properties clewing us to more new and bizarre physics. Instead, it seems to have merely confirmed expectations.

• Like 1

I know it is off topic, but can you provide a link that shows it was actually said (nevermind the year)? I've heard that one from time to time, but thought it was debunked.

I'd always heard it also, so I did a bit of research (internet surfing actually) and found that apparently it was an actual quote, but not by the US Patent Commissioner in 1899...

It was apparently a part of a joke in an 1899 issue of Punch magazine - sort of the National Lampoon of it's day... Not to say the Commissioner couldn't have had a sense of

humor and repeated the jest to his staff...

http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/2011/01/tracing-the-quote-everything-that-can-be-invented-has-been-invented.html

• Like 1

The M-theory sounds like another $100 worth of fiddlesticks to me. Anything you imagine could possibly be true, or possibly not?

It is simply an idea that impossibility itself is possible while at the same time possibility becomes impossible!

Talk about clutching at straws! Possibly the stupidest thing Ive heard yet!

The M-theory sounds like another $100 worth of fiddlesticks to me. Anything you imagine could possibly be true, or possibly not?

It is simply an idea that impossibility itself is possible while at the same time possibility becomes impossible!

Talk about clutching at straws! Possibly the stupidest thing Ive heard yet!

You go on pretending that decades of theoretical physics and exremely high-level mathematics is "simply an idea," as if it was dreamed up around the bong.

Harte

• Like 1

You go on pretending that decades of theoretical physics and exremely high-level mathematics is "simply an idea," as if it was dreamed up around the bong.

Harte

lol. Anything that can be theorised by modern science has been discussed ad infinitum around campfires ad nauseum ... You dont need to be a brain surgeon to arrive at some fantastical theory... there is no elitist monopoly to freedom of thought... If M theory were correct it will confirm what I say and what you say to be simultaneously true and false.

Edited by taniwha

While I know that string theory (which is an element of M theory) appears at this time to be unverifiable and thus isn't accepted as a scientific theory by some scientists, I'm also well aware of the amount of work done on the mathematical side that has led to where we are today.

Such work is not done around the campfire and equating it with flights of fancy exposes an ignorance you might want to get fixed.

Or, at least, have some one take a look at it.

Harte

Hahaha, what a crack up! thanks for the laugh ... Sadly you have mistaken I for Steven Hawking.

I agree absolutely, before such costly and futile experimentation into this fanciful theory, SOMEONE better have a look at it!