Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's oldest creature was 507

Still Waters

When scientists inadvertently killed what turned out to be the world's oldest living creature, it was bad enough.

Now, their mistake has been compounded after further research found it was even older - at 507 years.

The ocean quahog - a type of deep-sea clam - was dredged alive from the bottom of the North Atlantic near Iceland in 2006 by researchers. They then put it in a freezer, as is normal practice, unaware of its age.

http://www.telegraph...-killed-it.html

Oldest? I thought the oldest living thing's were these Sea Sponge's in Antarctica, which are 10,000 years old.......

Wow, that's just really sad :(

This is why I don't want them to ever find Bigfoot, the thylacene (? sp), or any other thing that is either one of a kind or extremely rare. Scientists love to find something rare and/or beautiful and destroy it "for science."

This is why I don't want them to ever find Bigfoot, the thylacene (? sp), or any other thing that is either one of a kind or extremely rare. Scientists love to find something rare and/or beautiful and destroy it "for science."

They also love to preserve the beautiful and rare.

The article says it was death from freezing. I was going to guess garlic and butter poisoning since that's what happened to the rare six-armed octopus found recently.

• Like 2

photo-thumb-48329.gif

They also love to preserve the beautiful and rare.

Yes; in the freezer.

1st off the article above says "Ming was first discovered in Iceland in 2006 and was believed to be 405 years old until a more recent study revealed it to be almost a century older".

The critical word being "almost" a century old. I don't need to tell anyone reading this that the article 1st says "turned out to be 507 years old", then goes on to say 1st discovered in 2006 but it was originally thought to be 405 years old?

Since when was 405 to 507 less than 100 (almost a century)?

2nd 507 years is not old in my opinion, comparatively speaking (compared to us humans, yes it is) but without checking I am sure there are "creatures" older than that.

Most peoples in-laws for one!!!

Age is relative. But, given the anatomical complexity of the mollusk, I suspect much could be learned regarding aging and immunity to disease.

It's the quality of life that matters. Imagine reading it's diary. "Day 181364, filter fed most of the day, slept, closed when a shadow passed, opened after a few minutes, filter fed some more. 321 days until I send my spermatozoa out again."

Edited by Chooky88
  • Like 5

It's the quality of life that matters. Imagine reading it's diary. "Day 181364, filter fed most of the day, slept, closed when a shadow passed, opened after a few minutes, filter fed some more. 321 days until I send my spermatozoa out again."

this made me lol

Seems like the following list will be expanded...

hugh jackman in a bubble nuff said

Stupid ass human scum. Hopefully when they are old and feeble some alien race decides to cut off thier heads in attempts to determine thier age. Useless bags of meat.

Stupid ass human scum. Hopefully when they are old and feeble some alien race decides to cut off thier heads in attempts to determine thier age. Useless bags of meat.

Blah blah blah. Have you ever swatted a fly. Killed a spider? You are not innocent either. Useless bag of meat.