Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

the mormons.

danielost

I was asked to start this thread to answer questions about the mormons. I thought the best way to start is to paste the thirteen artcles of faith that we learn as kids.

13 Articles of Faith 1. We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2. We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.

3. We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4. We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5. We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6. We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7. We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8. We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9. We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10. We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11. We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12. We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13. We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul-We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

So go ahead and ask. Hopefully other members will help answer the questions. I am running on thirty year memmories, and my spelling isn't worth much.

To answer the most important question. We believe that christ was the god of the old testiment. But, he was operating under the authority of the real god.

We believe the bible deals with the middle east, the book of mormon deals with the new world, and the docterion and covanet(d&c) deal with us. That is gods dealings with those groups.

http://mormon.org/beliefs/articles-of-faith

Edited by danielost

I've got one.

Is there a "Prophet" today? One that is currently making church rules and well...prophecies?

Nibs

We believe there are at least thirteen prophets on earth. The president(also called the propet) and the twelve apostles. There could be more. No one in the church is paid directly from the church. Except maybe the janitors.

There's a reason why so much of Christianity refuses to accept them: they have a whole other holy book which only they subscribe to. That and a few beliefs that are a little too contradictory to what the Bible says...

We believe there are at least thirteen prophets on earth. The president(also called the propet) and the twelve apostles. There could be more. No one in the church is paid directly from the church. Except maybe the janitors.

Ok. So there isn't a "Prophet" that is running the whole show right now? One that speaks directly to god?

Like you see in the FLDS offshoots?

Nibs

No all thirteen can talk to god but prophicy usually comes through the president.

No all thirteen can talk to god but prophicy usually comes through the president.

Can a current President/Prophet say that a previous was wrong?

Nibs

There's a reason why so much of Christianity refuses to accept them: they have a whole other holy book which only they subscribe to. That and a few beliefs that are a little too contradictory to what the Bible says...

Two plus other books.

Nibs

Nibs

Well joseph smith said plural marriage was good. Later in order for utah to become a state, that prophet sorry don't remember his name said it wasn't good. Probable the closest to come to that.

I don't think most Christians would take much exception to those faith articles apart from 8, 9 and 10.

Can I ask question about Article 8?

8. We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

What happens when the word of God from the Bible (translated correctly) contradicts the word of God from the Book of Mormon?

Edited by Paranoid Android

What is your view on "Magic Underwear"? What do you really call it?

I'm not trying to make fun here, just curious as to if you wear it or if you know people that wear it and how you view / feel about it.

What does it do or represent in your opinion?

What is your view on "Magic Underwear"? What do you really call it?

I'm not trying to make fun here, just curious as to if you wear it or if you know people that wear it and how you view / feel about it.

What does it do or represent in your opinion?

The so called undies(garments) are not holy or magic. They are worn by those who go to the temple to remind them of their oaths to god. I have not been in a temple except the front door t pick up a passenger.

Because of that fact I can't answer a lot of questions about it. But that is where mormons are baptised for the dead, get married for eternaty, and also get married for eternaty for the dead. The dead have the right to refuse to accept both.

Can I ask question about Article 8?

What happens when the word of God from the Bible (translated correctly) contradicts the word of God from the Book of Mormon?

If it ever happened, we would assume the bible was translated wrong. Remember, the bible has been translated at least three times before it was translated into ever laungage on the planet. The bok of mormon only twice.

I think god wanted this thread to be done. I haven't had as much trouble with it as I have had with others, and I have two bars from my room when I usually only have one or none.

I don't think most Christians would take much exception to those faith articles apart from 8, 9 and 10.

They also have trouble with us claiming that we have a prophet. Since the catholic church has pronounced none since christ.

I've a question. Why is the LDS so consumed with recording the geneaology of the world? Is that a fundamental tenet of the faith?

I've a question. Why is the LDS so consumed with recording the geneaology of the world? Is that a fundamental tenet of the faith?

Yes, for the baptisms and marriages for the dead. Only family members can preform them.

So what about the planet Kolob?

This is the name of the planet closest to where god lives, or supposed to be. Mormons are taught that there is life on other planets.

Edited by danielost

Yes, for the baptisms and marriages for the dead. Only family members can preform them.

Yes, I heard about a recent controversy about that but I'm asking if it's a fundamental part of the belief.

While we're here, the LDS Church was performing post-mortem baptisms of Jewish Holocaust victims. They weren't being performed by family members. What do you think of that?

I think they have the right to say no. As I said I can't answer many questions about the temple. I may be wrong about family members, or someone gave you bad info.

I think they have the right to say no. As I said I can't answer many questions about the temple. I may be wrong about family members, or someone gave you bad info.

Oh, here's the link. It is frowned upon by the church.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2012-03-05/mormons-proxy-baptism-holocaust-jews/53372816/1

Edit: Another question, if I may, is the proper term Temple or Church?

Edited by Likely Guy

I never understood why the Jews objected to this seemingly friendly and harmless ritual.

When I was a baby I was baptized a Catholic, but my family were Communists (at that time that meant definitely atheist). I don't really care -- in fact its kinda nice (although my parents had a fit).

Jews dont believe in the rebirth concept of washing away sins that baptism is symbolic of.

They have days of atonement for that