Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Three In One Insect

Eldorado

The exotic fruit fly called “Goniurellia tridens”.

Full Article & great pics: http://guardianlv.com/2013/11/fruit-fly-to-spider-say-hello-to-my-little-friends/

Snippet: "When the doctor first saw the fly on an oleander shrub in the northern part of Oman, she thought there were several insects all sharing the same proximity. To her, it appeared that the fruit fly was flanked by two ants.

Initially Howarth thought that the fly had an ant infestation on its wings. She explained that the symmetry was so perfect that she decided it was not possible.

After taking the fly back to the lab and observing it under a microscope she found out that these “ants” were painted on the wings.

According to Dr Howarth, the fly will “flash” its wings when threatened by a predator. This gives the impression that there are a couple of ants walking around. This presumably confuses the predator and the fly has time to make a speedy get-away. Apparently, it may also be a sort of courtship device."

Body art?

• Like 4

Wow, that's almost too awesome to be true!! I can't believe this!! thanks for the article EL!! :)

• Like 1

Wow...look at that. Brilliant :tu:

• Like 1

Wow, that's almost too awesome to be true!! I can't believe this!! thanks for the article EL!! :)

I know! I'm shocked I've never seen one before.

You'd think they would be famous. Celebrities of the insect world.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

That is pretty cool.. I have never heard of this. Good find. :tu:

• Like 1

Great link Eldorado.

Its almost an argument for creationism ;)

• Like 1